Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Letter from ODPM

Sorry it's a link to two scanned images and not just the text.

ODPMLetter26Jul2004.jpg

ODPMLetter26Jul2004page2.jpg

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
That makes perfect sense. In a way, the next part of the inquiry won't concern Falmer at all, it will just concern ruling each alternative site out on at least one of the grounds above.

Will Collyer sit as inspector on the re-opened inquiry, or will it be someone else?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Can someone translate question B for me? Is it saying that we still have to prove that Falmer is in the national interest?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets just hope that Phil Prosser doesn't take up a planning job, then we should be ok !!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It seems to me that Prezza has drafted the criteria purposely to eliminate all of the suggested sites.

Should be easy to prove none of them pass all the tests. :clap2:

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Can someone translate question B for me? Is it saying that we still have to prove that Falmer is in the national interest?
No we don't. By not rejecting Falmer, Prescott has accepted that the stadium IS in the national interest.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
balloonboy said:
Sorry, can anyone (Lord B....is there anyone else?) also translate point d.....could Falmer still be rejected as it's in an AONB?

No. Falmer fills all those requirements, that is why they are the criteria for a MORE suitable site.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Lord Bracknell,

quality posting,
this is exactly what we need to see, the actual letter.
i am feeling more postive now.

thanks.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Useful post

Because of the eight mile Football Association rule (from Brighton Pavilion), all sites other than mentioned are ruled out.

Withdean is also ruled out because of inadequate size.

Falmer clearly complies best on every single criterion mentioned.

I expect some awkward people would argue against (ix).

The only alternative site I can envisage within the boundaries is Village Way South. Could this actually be reintroduced?

It seems legitimate within the decision made.

I expect it would fall foul of (vii) though.

Last edited:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Maybe someone can help me too. its been a long night and day.

The letter does not express that it is agreed that we can have a stadium, it merely asks that consideration is given to other sites.

What have i missed ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good point Cheese Roll.

:clap:

The decision has been shelved (according to the BBC report).

It appears that we still have to wait for the actual decision?

Unless there is something else in the Inspector's Report which we have not seen.

:(

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Caplin won't have a seat next time due to the Lab->Con swing anyway. And it's unfair to level the finger at him because I'm 99% sure he's done whatever he could from the inside to push the Albion case. He's an ardent fan, and who knows what difference it would have made if he wasn't there.

Back on topic, I simply cannot understand how SCR got the 'no' conclusion from that letter. It *MUST* have been third hand information. Any journalist worth their salt would never have reached that conclusion from reading that. I have high regard for SCR and can't believe that report was a direct result of that letter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here