Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The latest Argus "Anti" letter

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Falmer is much more than just another muddy field
While the Falmer For All Campaign is well organised and its supporters are behind it, it fails to convince the general public on two points.

First is the aerial view, which puts the site into context on the edge of the proposed South Downs National Park in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).

Second is the "view from a supporter's car on the A27".

continued...
This places an ethereal, semitransparent vision of the stadium, just visible above the trees across the railway line, on a muddy brownfield site between ruined Falmer village and the tatty buildings of Brighton University, with the ugly Sixties Sussex University as the backdrop.

The aerial photo complicated this but was dismissed as "cheating".

As the day of decision drew near, I decided to visit the famous "muddy field" with my wife. We started in a pub, The Swan in Falmer village, on a hot July day. After a nice meal and a drink, we set off across the footbridge over the canyon through which the A27 roars. Why didn't they just build it in a tunnel?

The roaring traffic was soon left behind and we arrived at the heart of the village - the pond. Families sat around it, their children playing and feeding the ducks. A dog tried and failed to catch the ducks but was content to chase a ball.

And a group of senior citizens picnicked by the water's edge.

Across the B2123 and on to village way, we gazed upon a beautiful cornfield.

I consulted my map and, yes, this was the right place, shimmering in the hot July sun. To the left was the track over the railway line, called Turnpike Piece, and the boundary on the right was a copse grown to hide the roundabout.

I looked ahead towards Sussex University, but the buildings blended into the Downs and the trees hid the odd modern carbuncle jutting up.

Turning around, there is the future South Downs National Park - not a wilderness but a living, breathing, working environment.

The overwhelming feeling I had standing there was this cornfield was a gateway to that park.

To build the stadium, a new road would be built in Stanmer Park to aid university expansion and car parking for Albion supporters, with a fly-over over the A27, curving into the site via the dual carriageway which will be the new Village Way.

The stadium itself will be built of concrete, glass and metal and associated buildings will fill up the remainder of this site.

Finally, all this will be surrounded by security fencing. Nobody will be able to say this will be a pretty sight.

It is time to halt Brighton's urban expansion and Turnpike Piece is the perfect place. After two Inspectors' reports and a flawed reference from John Prescott, it is time to call a truce and leave this environment and Falmer village in peace.

J R Gilding, Sunninghill Avenue, Hove

12:07pm today

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Roaring traffic left behind? Of course it is. It travels along the A27 and not through the village. You can still hear it though!

Sussex Uni blending in with the downs? As much as the Stadium will.

I think the club has failed in one respect. A detailed plan should be released with a super imposed image from all angles to show the impact on the area. I noticed they conveniently forgot to mention Brighton University!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sounds fair enough.....he is wrong obviously, but he is entitled to his opinion.

One question....how is the stadium being built going to ruin the Falmer Pond? On Sundays you will still be able to sit around it and feed the ducks.....unless we are playing on a sunday, will not be allowed access to Falmer and the noise scares away all the ducks ( not to mention Bats)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The overwhelming feeling I had standing there was this cornfield was a gateway to that park."

"I looked ahead towards Sussex University, but the buildings blended into the Downs "

Drivel. Absolute drivel.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Easy 10 said:
"I looked ahead towards Sussex University, but the buildings blended into the Downs."

As they admitted earlier in their letter, they had been in the PUB all AFTERNOON, before staggering outside for a stroll. I should imagine most things blend into the downs after ELEVEN pints and a bag of Nobby's Nuts.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Easy 10 said:
"The overwhelming feeling I had standing there was this cornfield was a gateway to that park."

"I looked ahead towards Sussex University, but the buildings blended into the Downs "

Drivel. Absolute drivel.

"He then walked forward and fell over his guide dog"

" in the distance there was a faint sound of Kev The Ape and his mother strangling a mallard..."

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Dave the Gaffer said:
"
" in the distance there was a faint sound of Kev The Ape and his mother strangling a mallard..."

Shouldn't that read "in the distance there was a faint sound of Kev The Ape and his Mum who looked like Arthur Mullard"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
J R Gilding, Sunninghill Avenue, Hove

He sounds like a right ****.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bry Nylon said:
As they admitted earlier in their letter, they had been in the PUB all AFTERNOON, before staggering outside for a stroll. I should imagine most things blend into the downs after ELEVEN pints and a bag of Nobby's Nuts.
:lolol:
Good point, well made.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dear Argus

I read with interest the letter from J R Gilding (is he a relation of Angela Rowlands?) of Hove. While commiserating that his house would be undoubtedly blighted from the excess traffic and wanton vandalism Falmer Stadium would create, may I also suggest he calls 01273 xxxxxx, as I understand they doing a two-for-one price offer on hearing aids.

Clearly, one feels that his need would be greater than most.

Yours

TLO/

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
No point giving these sorts of letters the time of day, they are written by the same circle of people, that one was slightly more clever than they normally are, but the supposed naivety of it all gave the game away in the end.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
:lolol: That has got to be the most rediculously over-exagerated view of Falmer I've come across so far. LDC shoul recruit him to write their propaganda leaflets.
Quality.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My response, just sent to the Argus:

I was interested in the post-pub ramblings around the Falmer area of J R Gilding back in July, and wondered why it took so long to commit it to writing (letters 29 September 2006).

The letter begins by referring to two photographs, but I don't know where he has seen them, so cannot comment on the quality as he has.

All I must point out is that an aerial photograph does not give any idea of how a scene will look to somebody on the ground, and until we all grow wings and the Bognor birdman prize is won every year, we must reflect on views that we will actually see. Thus the view from the A27 is what the vast majority of people will see, as there are limited other viewpoints that are regularly visited by humans.

The references to Falmer pond seem a bit superfluous, as nothing will change there. As he correctly points out in his letter, the stadium will be the other side of the B2123.

He also seems unaware that the stadium will require the demolition of some of the "tatty" university of Brighton buildings and will be sunk into the ground. There will be far more effort to blend into the surroundings than was displayed when the Sussex University campus was built and extended, yet he seems to think that those particular buildings "blended into the Downs and the trees hid the odd modern carbuncle jutting up".

He then decides to ramble on about additional buildings on the site, security fencing and the like, which are surely all figments of his imagination.

I really think he shouldn't drink so much at lunchtimes.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
cardboard said:

The stadium itself will be built of concrete, glass and metal and associated buildings will fill up the remainder of this site.

What you mean like the medical buildings recently built at both the Sussex and Brighton uni sites.

cardboard said:

Finally, all this will be surrounded by security fencing. Nobody will be able to say this will be a pretty sight.

Will it? They don't have that at any other new stadiums do they?

What a cocker
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here