Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Partisan? , I have visions of wearing a beret and hiding in the woods now :) . I'm just having fun most of the time, I love winding up those who are easily wound up and can't see that whining about what this and the meltdown thread have become is no different to all the diatribes against the Tories. I thought I'd been ignored by most, but obviously not so will try harder.

The right is obviously where my allegiances lie but I'm big enough to admit that the Tories royally messed things up and had to go. It's such a shame we only have 2 meaningful parties as I can't get on with Labour so find myself politically homeless at the moment. As for here I think I try and can have a polite debate about these things without name calling or flouncing and that's what it should be.
IMG_2320.jpeg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

The Treasury is reconsidering parts of Labour’s manifesto plan to toughen up the abolition of non-domicile tax status.

This is on account of concerns over how much money will be raised, should wealthy foreigners simply leave the UK.

While no specific policy has been put to the Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR) as part of the Budget process, Treasury officials acknowledge that scrapping two concessions made by the previous government might not raise the £1bn they thought it would, or indeed any money at all.
The £1bn is earmarked in the Labour manifesto for extra hospital and dental appointments and school breakfast clubs.

Another flagship (or should it be dogwhistle) policy going well!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Legal challenge in Scotland to the withdrawal of WFP. The essence of the challenge is that the decision didn't meet a statutory requirement for a detailed equality impact assessment, regarding the elderly or disabled. If they're successful, it would postpone this by one winter.

https://govanlawcentre.org/2024/09/26/legal-challenge-to-the-winter-fuel-payment-cut/
Not sure how much this adds ..but mentioned on MSE

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Over to the courts now for a judicial review.

If this has legs, it actually gives Reeves breathing space to come up with a better plan for winter 2025/26.
Yes yes but what about the black hole 😉…….nah seriously IF (oops caps)….then great …they can create an army of people to help with pension credit clains…..deal with said claims..as you say a better plan re WFA….or save the dough elsewhere

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting to see that they are now going rethink what they do with those with non dom status. There are about 70k of these. Easy to say things in opposition but sure they now realise they want these to stay in UK because they contribute about £6b in tax here and there will be plenty of countries that would welcome them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here