Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Starmer is going to know people who live in nice places. Because he’s loaded and so are his mates.

I don’t really have an issue with it.

I see tomorrow Daily Mail is trying desperately to link this property to some kind of Covid scandal they are attempting to drum up.
I wonder why the Daily Mail has such a problem with a politician who stood up to racist rioters rather than pandered to them?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I regard the Arsenal box in the same way, the club are putting the sitting PM somewhere which is more secure so he can watch the team he’s paid to watch (and continues to pay to watch out of his own pocket).

The clothes stuff the other week? Absolutely fair game and poor judgement. But this feels like little more than a witch hunt.
All getting a bit silly now.

I’d rather our PM be allowed to get on with sorting the country out than batting off spurious accusations.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So it’s fine for Starmer’s kid to live in the middle of a media circus during his exams? How much of his life would it be suitable for him to sacrifice because Rishi Sunak called an election?
Utterly predictable that all our leftie numpties will now fall over themselves to try and defend this, in contrast to their equally predictable reaction when any Tory party member was found out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Utterly predictable that all our leftie numpties will now fall over themselves to try and defend this, in contrast to their equally predictable reaction when any Tory party member was found out.
Genuine question. What has Starmer done wrong in sending his kid to stay in this house during revision?

I’m no lefty and far from a fan of Starmer but this all seems a bit like muck raking.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes you’re right, I was much more critical of Boris Johnson when he accepted a free holiday from the son of a KGB agent who he then put in the House of Lords. I personally find the KGB to be much more detestable than Kier Starmer’s son, I appreciate not everyone might think this and I would never dare to speak for anyone other than myself on that particularly hot take.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no one asking who was looking after Starmer junior in the rather expensive flat, making sure he does his revision, gets an early night eats his breakfast, so on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The much publicised tax clampdown on non-Doms, a Tory policy in the end, Labour always pushed for it and are seeing it through, was originally meant to raise £3.2b per annum (OBR figure). It will now likely cost money. Reason being, largely they’re moving overseas. I’ve followed this over the last year, Italy, France and the Emirates are welcoming them.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...on-non-doms-may-raise-no-money-officials-fear

Many economic commentators predicted that would happen,

Highlighting how difficult it is to act in a global environment.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes you’re right, I was much more critical of Boris Johnson when he accepted a free holiday from the son of a KGB agent who he then put in the House of Lords. I personally find the KGB to be much more detestable than Kier Starmer’s son, I appreciate not everyone might think this and I would never dare to speak for anyone other than myself on that particularly hot take.
What a very convenient comparison to hide the fact that now Labour are also engulfed in sleaze. Just accept the fact that the same trough feeds different snouts instead of trying to defend the indefensible.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
2. I don't believe that 44% of pensioners have no savings, but even if that were true then why have they not saved anything at all over their working life? If 4 in 9 of today's younger generation manage to save nothing but live to be 90 then society will be f***ed.

One of the best things David Cameron ever did was introduce Auto-Enrolment in 2012. Mandatory saving for pensions via PAYE should have come in long before then, and this is one of the reasons why many of today's elderly have no non-state pension.
Quite apart from the fact that you have largely answered your own question, there is also the issue that wages were a lot lower in the last century than they are now and that household expenses (eg. food) were a lot higher. The widespread belief that all pensioners bought two or three houses for fourpence and sold them for millions, is fictional. Even if they did buy a single house cheaply, it isn't earning interest or rent because they are living in it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What a very convenient comparison to hide the fact that now Labour are also engulfed in sleaze. Just accept the fact that the same trough feeds different snouts instead of trying to defend the indefensible.
I think the problem many of us feel is that the last Government wasn't subject to the same level of attention over allowed expenses.

Farage's media activity is far more alarming than Starmer's glasses.

Starmer's issue is definitely hypocrisy but the British trait is to treat hypocrisy as far worse than the thing you are being hypocritical about.

The measure should be different, did your activity or decisions adversely affect the public purse ?

The Tories spunked billions down the drain sorting their mates out over the PPE scandal. Starmer's trousers haven't cost me a penny.

That said, the first thing that should have happened would have been to pass legislation that removed heating from MPs allowance in their "second" home. Technically nonsensical, but would have dampened the negative PR.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry to repeat this caveat every time, but I promise you the one time I don’t, the usual three posters will ignore the million times I’ve said it and hammer the one time I don’t:

I don’t care about the expenses/gifts/lonbying furore. It always goes on, always has and always will. I don’t care if he watches football from a free box, or gets free clothes. Unless there is a clear conflict of interest which can be proven. Which is the same rules for every party and politician. The Tories given £bns to their mates for dodgy COVID deals is an actual scandal, not a £2,000 pair of spectacles.

BUT.

It’s a wider shit show and Starmer and his government are shitting the bed. It’s like pre-shit at the moment, a wet fart, with the full mattress defecation lurking not far behind.

WFA is a f*** up. Plain and simple. It’s wrong. Most of their party agree it’s wrong. The public hate it. It has directly caused Labour and Starmer’s ratings to crash.

The leaks, this early, are very very bad. This is not a happy cabinet. The Sue Gray situation is a big embarrassment for them. You shouldn’t have a PM a few months after an election making headlines for having to say who wears the trousers. Yet that’s exactly what we’ve had.

But then things take a turn for the crazy when they let Shabana Mahmood speak in public.

This will be humiliating for Starmer. As we know, Sir Keir Starmer is the former Director of Public Prosecutions. “Prison isn’t working for women” says Mahmood. Errr… overseeing this was her boss.

Then there’s the actual content of what Mahmood is saying, quote; “my ultimate ambition is to close women’s prisons”.

Right, so what happens to the tens of thousands of female killers, paedophiles, drug dealers and other scum who happen to have a vagina? Are they released?

This is the bonkers shite that the Tories were desperately coming out with towards the end of their government with their own nutters like, Braverman et al.

What I wanted when I backed this Labour Party for government was quiet, sensible, slow, methodical, boring change done by dull, competent people in grey business wear.

What we’re getting is disharmony, a platform the the lunatic fringe (imagine a justice secretary saying their “ultimate ambition” is for Myra Hindley and Lucy Letby to be released and women’s prisons shut down”).

They need to course correct urgently because this is showing signs of getting worse and worse and worse.

PULL UP, PULL UP!!!

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
All getting a bit silly now.

I’d rather our PM be allowed to get on with sorting the country out than batting off spurious accusations.
Remember the Tory meltdown thread? , chock full of the same level of accusations which also played out in the media. I don't recall such a clamour to defend them and "let them get on with running the country", quite rightly so but if you dish it out you have to expect it back.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remember the Tory meltdown thread? , chock full of the same level of accusations which also played out in the media. I don't recall such a clamour to defend them and "let them get on with running the country", quite rightly so but if you dish it out you have to expect it back.
I criticise all equally. I have done so for some of Starmer’s behaviour.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I criticise all equally. I have done so for some of Starmer’s behaviour.
Not a dig at you fella, the Tory thread is stacked full of the usual suspects and I remember clearly the likes of Beth Rigby & Peston going hell for leather at the Tories whenever the chance arose.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
WFA is a f*** up. Plain and simple. It’s wrong. Most of their party agree it’s wrong. The public hate it. It has directly caused Labour and Starmer’s ratings to crash.
I disagree that it’s wrong. Why should my tax money be given to Alan Sugar to heat his Florida mansion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here