Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. I'm doing a Tax Return right now for an 81 year old guy whose interest income just increased on his one building society account from £1,469.20 in 2022/23 to £15,962.78 in 2023/24. His capital savings in that account have increased by £298,733 to £334,696, so half of that is his interest increase.

This year's interest just on last year's interest will be £640.

2. I don't believe that 44% of pensioners have no savings, but even if that were true then why have they not saved anything at all over their working life? If 4 in 9 of today's younger generation manage to save nothing but live to be 90 then society will be f***ed.

One of the best things David Cameron ever did was introduce Auto-Enrolment in 2012. Mandatory saving for pensions via PAYE should have come in long before then, and this is one of the reasons why many of today's elderly have no non-state pension.

3. I totally believe that the WFP should be means tested but it has been given out to every pensioner for far too long, and it is just wrong to give a benefit to those who don't need it. There was no massive outcry when Child Benefit started to be withdrawn for those earning over £50K, and - indeed - I think there's an argument for going lower.

I spoke to a client yesterday who just reached pension age, I joked that his timing was shocking re WFP payment and he admitted he didn't need it, was glad it was going for people with his income and resources, and it would have been morally wrong if he'd received it.
Lots of pensioners don't need it.

Let's say that 90% of those losing the payment don't need it. That leaves 10% who do. That's 1,000,000 people.

95% don't need it, maybe? 500,000 still will.

You're clearly good with numeracy so will understand that a small percentage of a large number can still be quite a large number.

Most rational, reasonable people understand that the removal of the allowance from many pensioners is a pragmatic thing to do, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

The problem is the line that defines the haves and the have nots has been drawn in the wrong place. It's either clumsy, lazy, stupid or just downright cruel.

People will die because of this policy as currently implemented - it's as simple as that. We don't abandon people just because they've had the misfortune to arrive at old age in less than rude financial health.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of pensioners don't need it.

Let's say that 90% of those losing the payment don't need it. That leaves 10% who do. That's 1,000,000 people.

95% don't need it, maybe? 500,000 still will.

You're clearly good with numeracy so will understand that a small percentage of a large number can still be quite a large number.

Most rational, reasonable people understand that the removal of the allowance from many pensioners is a pragmatic thing to do, and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

The problem is the line that defines the haves and the have nots has been drawn in the wrong place. It's either clumsy, lazy, stupid or just downright cruel.

People will die because of this policy as currently implemented - it's as simple as that. We don't abandon people just because they've had the misfortune to arrive at old age in less than rude financial health.

It’s zero comfort to those pensioners, that some accountants on nsc have retired clients who are sitting pretty.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It’s zero comfort to those pensioners, that some accountants on nsc have retired clients who are sitting pretty.

1. I'm doing a Tax Return right now for an 81 year old guy whose interest income just increased on his one building society account from £1,469.20 in 2022/23 to £15,962.78 in 2023/24. His capital savings in that account have increased by £298,733 to £334,696, so half of that is his interest increase.

This year's interest just on last year's interest will be £640.

2. I don't believe that 44% of pensioners have no savings, but even if that were true then why have they not saved anything at all over their working life? If 4 in 9 of today's younger generation manage to save nothing but live to be 90 then society will be f***ed.

One of the best things David Cameron ever did was introduce Auto-Enrolment in 2012. Mandatory saving for pensions via PAYE should have come in long before then, and this is one of the reasons why many of today's elderly have no non-state pension.

3. I totally believe that the WFP should be means tested but it has been given out to every pensioner for far too long, and it is just wrong to give a benefit to those who don't need it. There was no massive outcry when Child Benefit started to be withdrawn for those earning over £50K, and - indeed - I think there's an argument for going lower.

I spoke to a client yesterday who just reached pension age, I joked that his timing was shocking re WFP payment and he admitted he didn't need it, was glad it was going for people with his income and resources, and it would have been morally wrong if he'd received it.

You do realise that 44% of pensioners without savings wont need a scumbag accountant like you, who looks down on them..? .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Apologies if fixtures

Even if he was using it for GCSEs, was that really the only option? Using the flat of a multi millionare who isn't paying the tax he should?

Cant use friends or family member?
Library?

His moaning about people understanding the human side of the story

Like taking the WFA away?
Disrupting others education by taxing private schools?

The PR is dreadful

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Even if he was using it for GCSEs, was that really the only option? Using the flat of a multi millionare who isn't paying the tax he should?

Library?

The PR is dreadful

It’s been a few years since I was in full time education but they generally didn’t take kindly to you attempting to live in the library when I was there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Library?

The PR is dreadful

His son stayed at a property owned by Lord Alli so he could concentrate on his exams. What exactly is the issue here?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
His son stayed at a property owned by Lord Alli so he could concentrate on his exams. What exactly is the issue here?
Many years ago, just as we were leaving college, the granny of a good friend died. The family didn't know what to do with her house and wanted a bit of time to think about it, and so as we were looking for somewhere to live for a bit whilst we looked for jobs - they offered it to us to live in rent-free.

Should I be declaring this somewhere?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Many years ago, just as we were leaving college, the granny of a good friend died. The family didn't know what to do with her house and wanted a bit of time to think about it, and so as we were looking for somewhere to live for a bit whilst we looked for jobs - they offered it to us to live in rent-free.

Should I be declaring this somewhere?
Are you an MP?

If not then NO.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Are you an MP?

If not then NO.
I was a Parish Councillor for a while!

But really - it basically means no friendly favours allowed if you are an MP. It makes me wonder even more why anyone would want to be an MP when they can't even have friends help them. Do MPs have to declare who bought the rounds in the pub? Okay if you all bought one equally, but as well know, it doesn't always work that way. What about going round to a friends for dinner - do they have to declare that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
His son’s revision arrangements don’t concern me in the slightest.

A poor attempt to smear him as being out of touch.

Which to a degree, I think he is.

This stuff though? Load of nothing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I was a Parish Councillor for a while!

But really - it basically means no friendly favours allowed if you are an MP. It makes me wonder even more why anyone would want to be an MP when they can't even have friends help them. Do MPs have to declare who bought the rounds in the pub? Okay if you all bought one equally, but as well know, it doesn't always work that way. What about going round to a friends for dinner - do they have to declare that?
Are you seriously comparing a lasagne and keys in the bowl with your chums to £20k freebies connected to your power and influence?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm pretty sure you don't study 24/7 either
So it’s fine for Starmer’s kid to live in the middle of a media circus during his exams? How much of his life would it be suitable for him to sacrifice because Rishi Sunak called an election?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
His son’s revision arrangements don’t concern me in the slightest.

A poor attempt to smear him as being out of touch.

Which to a degree, I think he is.

This stuff though? Load of nothing.
I regard the Arsenal box in the same way, the club are putting the sitting PM somewhere which is more secure so he can watch the team he’s paid to watch (and continues to pay to watch out of his own pocket).

The clothes stuff the other week? Absolutely fair game and poor judgement. But this feels like little more than a witch hunt.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Starmer is going to know people who live in nice places. Because he’s loaded and so are his mates.

I don’t really have an issue with it.

I see tomorrow Daily Mail is trying desperately to link this property to some kind of Covid scandal they are attempting to drum up.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_3260.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here