Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I had an appointment with a senior consultant at a Sussex hospital yesterday. He said many at the hospital were fed up hearing that NHS was on its knees. He said they were giving completly wrong impression to publc and whilst not perfect they give a very good service.
There's certainly no lack of staff.

I took my mother in law to the Sussex County last week - there were staff everywhere - I had to 'check-in' three times with three different receptionists/admin staff.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
is it just me that’s not really bothered by donations given every party takes them - some from sources that can’t even be accurately traced.

It’s what is being given in return that should be the focus

In Labours case it would appear that it's a ban on delegates using the words Genocide or Apartheid at conference and throwing out members who even dare to bring attention to the plight of children in Gaza.

I mean really, restricting the vocabulary adults can use even in discussion at conference!

I think Labour voters are still blind to how right wing and authoritarian this Labour front bench actually is.

Taking donations from Israel lobby and continuing to back Zionist escalation in allowing arms trading, whilst paying lip service to the ICJ.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In Labours case it would appear that it's a ban on delegates using the words like Genocide or Apartheid at conference and throwing out members who even dare to bring attention to the plight of children in Gaza.

I mean really, restricting the use of words adults can use even in discussion at conference! I think Labour voters are still blind to how right wing and authoritarian this Labour front bench actually is.

Taking donations from Israel lobby and continuing to back Zionist escalation in allowing arms trading, whilst paying lip service to the ICJ.

In a world increasingly under pressure from climate change, poverty, food shortages etc governments are going to become more right wing and authoritarian. It’s the only way the rich and powerful will be able to maintain their riches and look after their interests without civil unrest and rioting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In a world increasingly under pressure from climate change, poverty, food shortages etc governments are going to become more right wing and authoritarian. It’s the only way the rich and powerful will be able to maintain their riches and look after their interests without civil unrest and rioting.
Then it's up to the rest of us to engage with those concerned and patiently make our case.

For now, those wanting authoritarianism and thinly viewed racism in this country have nowhere near the numbers

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Then it's up to the rest of us to engage with those concerned and patiently make our case.

For now, those wanting authoritarianism and thinly viewed racism in this country have nowhere near the numbers
Oh I wasn’t suggesting some conspiracy theorist right wing take over, some dramatic upturn in those voting for the right.

I think we will just gradually see more right wing, authoritarian type governance at play.

The anti-protest powers. The gradual removal of means and wealth from middle classes.

Softly softly catchy monkey.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

It appears so, if thats all that the electorate are prepared to consider and vote for in a democracy. Labour have certainly been promoted to the hilt with widespread backing on these boards by some. As a nation we get what we vote for, or at least are stuck with what the majority of the electorate vote for.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Or the rich and powerful will encourage civil unrest and rioting by turning people against each other, using tabloid and social media to spread misinformation and foment hatred between different sections of society - as per the recent 'Farage riots' in various English towns. The age-old tactic of divide and rule - persuade the working class that other working class people are the cause of their economic and social problems.

All the while 'the people' are fighting each other, the top 1% - who own/control much of the press and social media platforms - will continue laughing all the way to the bank.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
Or the rich and powerful will encourage civil unrest and rioting by turning people against each other, using tabloid and social media to spread misinformation and foment hatred between different sections of society - as per the recent 'Farage riots' in various English towns. The age-old tactic of divide and rule - persuade the working class that other working class people are the cause of their economic and social problems.

All the while 'the people' are fighting each other, the top 1% - who own/control much of the press and social media platforms - will continue laughing all the way to the bank.
Farage riots ... behave, what would you call the Harefield riots or is that Farage's fault aswell. no charges were brought by the way...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Once the sausages have been freed hopefully he will pop over to Brussels to renegotiate Breakfast.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Any pensioner that has £10,000 or more in a savings account would have seen the annual interest yield increase from c. £150 to £450 in recent years.

Now I'm not saying every pension has £10,000 in savings, but I suspect the vast majority have and most of those that that haven't will continue to receive the Winter Fuel Payment following means testing.

So with the Triple Lock guaranteed, how many pensioners will really be receiving less income in total once the WFP goes?

And for those that say, "What has interest got to do with it?" try telling that the young with £NIL savings and paying down a variable mortgage whose cashflow has most definitely decreased following the interest rate rises.

It is unbelievable how this Winter Fuel Payment has turned into a moral crusade. You cannot turn on GMTV in the morning without Susannah Reid leading with this story as though Starmer has just killed everybody's first born.

"The PM has refused to apologise to pensioners" - why should he??

I've said it before but Starmer needs a top spin doctor like Alistair Campbell in pronto because the optics are shocking. The endless wait for the first Budget is not helping either, creating a vacuum of despair and pessimism.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
1000006525.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Any pensioner that has £10,000 or more in a savings account would have seen the annual interest yield increase from c. £150 to £450 in recent years.

Now I'm not saying every pension has £10,000 in savings, but I suspect the vast majority have and most of those that that haven't will continue to receive the Winter Fuel Payment following means testing.

So with the Triple Lock guaranteed, how many pensioners will really be receiving less income in total once the WFP goes?

And for those that say, "What has interest got to do with it?" try telling that the young with £NIL savings and paying down a variable mortgage whose cashflow has most definitely decreased following the interest rate rises.

It is unbelievable how this Winter Fuel Payment has turned into a moral crusade. You cannot turn on GMTV in the morning without Susannah Reid leading with this story as though Starmer has just killed everybody's first born.

"The PM has refused to apologise to pensioners" - why should he??

I've said it before but Starmer needs a top spin doctor like Alistair Campbell in pronto because the optics are shocking. The endless wait for the first Budget is not helping either, creating a vacuum of despair and pessimism.
'kin hell that's angle i didn't expect: many pensioners have some savings so they're better off than the young. how on earth has this become framed as a old vs young issue?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last edited:

It’s just the rich that are not being taxed and this is how the rich fix it to ensure that situation:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I am starting to get the feeling that Sir Keir Starmer is going to be the greatest Prime Minister for many, many years.

The key reasoning behind my feeling is that he has one thing no other prime minister in my adult life has had - the willingness to be unpopular in order to do what is best for the country.

It's quite clear what his game plan is - Raise & save money while the interest rates are relatively high - spend and invest when the interest rates come down.

It's going to be tough for a very short while - but I can see him improving this country by a considerable margin, especially if he gets two terms.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I am starting to get the feeling that Sir Keir Starmer is going to be the greatest Prime Minister for many, many years.

The key reasoning behind my feeling is that he has one thing no other prime minister in my adult life has had - the willingness to be unpopular in order to do what is best for the country.

It's quite clear what his game plan is - Raise & save money while the interest rates are relatively high - spend and invest when the interest rates come down.

It's going to be tough for a very short while - but I can see him improving this country by a considerable margin, especially if he gets two terms.
I agree - I think longer term we're going to see real benefits as a country. In the short term, there will be plenty of "gotcha" stories and noise, noise, noise from the usual suspects but I get the impression this prime minister is focused on doing the work rather than playing the media game. Hopefully he's able to really get going implementing policy and taking decisions that aren't popular but which will start to move the ship in the right direction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here