Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The King's Speech - English devolution

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder what that's all about? For some reason it made me snigger.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
More powers to mayors etc...
They've also made noises about setting up more mayors as well so presumably all part of the same thing

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I wonder what that's all about? For some reason it made me snigger.
Isn't about giving more power locally, but not necessarily based on the mayoral models of Birmingham, Manchester etc.

Cornwall are keen to have a model based on the Welsh assembly, rather than giving a lot of power to one person.

At least this makes more sense that the Tories Freeports which Sunak was keen on.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Power to the people?

power.jpg

Edit: Ha!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isn't about giving more power locally, but not necessarily based on the mayoral models of Birmingham, Manchester etc.

Cornwall are keen to have a model based on the Welsh assembly, rather than giving a lot of power to one person.

At least this makes more sense that the Tories Freeports which Sunak was keen on.
No criticism from me. I wasn't expecting it, that's all.

One possibility is that by creating a 'devolved' England, rather like the devolved regions, it makes the kingdoms 'equal' and allows UK government to 'get on with it' washout the endless wittering about independence.

To be clear I'm thinking that, maybe, Labour are considering an English assembly, rather like the one in Holyrood. Maybe not, but why not?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
To be clear I'm thinking that, maybe, Labour are considering an English assembly, rather like the one in Holyrood. Maybe not, but why not?
If we had an assembly covering the whole of England, it would be representing such a large proportion of the UK population that it'd inevitably clash with the UK government.

Particularly if, without wanting to get into the rights and wrongs of this, it had a more representative voting system as all the other devolved assemblies do. There would naturally be an argument that it speaks for more people than Westminster does.

And if it did just duplicated the English Westminster constituencies and system, what's the point of it? You'd near enough achieve the same thing for drastically less money by legislating for England in Westminster and only letting English MPs vote on those bills.

Having said all that, my main reason for not wanting an England-wide assembly is wanting to avoid being bundled in with Surrey as much as possible.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If we had an assembly covering the whole of England, it would be representing such a large proportion of the UK population that it'd inevitably clash with the UK government.

Particularly if, without wanting to get into the rights and wrongs of this, it had a more representative voting system as all the other devolved assemblies do. There would naturally be an argument that it speaks for more people than Westminster does.

And if it did just duplicated the English Westminster constituencies and system, what's the point of it? You'd near enough achieve the same thing for drastically less money by legislating for England in Westminster and only letting English MPs vote on those bills.

Having said all that, my main reason for not wanting an England-wide assembly is wanting to avoid being bundled in with Surrey as much as possible.
:lolol:
:thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
More powers to mayors etc...
Indeed. And under the last Labour Government we had English Regions - including the South-east region of Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire. They were disbanded under the Tories.
I was a member of SEERA for a short while having one of a small number of Faith Community Seats

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I suspect my interpretation of a few words in the speech is fanciful. We shall see.

(And for my part, I do not want closer ties with Sittingbourne. Sorry, @darkwolf666 :wink: )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
doesn't seem credible unless they propose an actual parliament for England. otherwise it will just be another layer of bureaucracy to interpret and sign off local issues to the central legislation. cant see Mayors getting powers over health, education, transport etc like they do in Scotland. it's more likely power over the buses and local services which councils already run. the big one, planning, will be overruled by central government or block everything they're trying to acheive.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
doesn't seem credible unless they propose an actual parliament for England. otherwise it will just be another layer of bureaucracy to interpret and sign off local issues to the central legislation. cant see Mayors getting powers over health, education, transport etc like they do in Scotland. it's more likely power over the buses and local services which councils already run. the big one, planning, will be overruled by central government or block everything they're trying to acheive.

Mayors and other local leaders are going to get powers in transport (specifically buses which are 60% of journeys.) As for planning, something like 90% of planning decisions are made at local level so if govt wants to move faster the power might have to be more centralised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here