Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread is like a really crap Tag Wrestling match where there is an endless supply of fat dullards in spandex trying to find new ways of repeating exactly the same moves.

Haha spot on!

Jameson

I spoke to one of the younger players this week and he felt everything is fine with Vicente, he's signed a contract and his girlfriend is coming to England soon. He just misses the sunshine (like we all do right now).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So you still ignore the fact the club told him it was up to him. What did they think he would do if he didn't come back. Retire or perhaps find a club locally to where he lives. GP should have kept his mouth shut but whether it was actually the clubs view or if it was merely a bit of negotiating regarding the new contract, it backfired as it has created a bit of ill feeling.

I agree! And I have said several times that Gus should have kept his mouth shut... but his mumblings in the press are NOT legally binding... the contract with the CLUB is...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I agree! And I have said several times that Gus should have kept his mouth shut... but his mumblings in the press are NOT legally binding... the contract with the CLUB is...

That's not really the point though. If you're told by your boss that despite having a contract, you're free to stay or leave if you wish, but at the last moment the company change their mind, you are hardly likely to be a)pleased or b) working as hard as you should be. I know I certainly wouldn't. What should and shouldn't have happened is a bit irrelevant. The damage has been done.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You really don't get it do you!!!! It was a one year contract after which the club had an option to exend it for a second year. I don't think anyone knows if the option was available to Vicente or if it was, whether it related to number of appearances etc but that is now irrelevant. Fact is it was one year and the club, possibly directly, but most definitely via the media made it clear Vicente was free to do what he pleased.

And you don't seem to understand that Gus is NOT the club... he is not even the club's designated signatory, so what he says in the press is NOT legally binding... the WRITTEN contract ssupercedes any Argus quote...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As I understand it (and I think I showed the relevant parts of the regulations earlier in this thread) the contract was one year, and we had the option to extend it for a second year. Regulations say you have to inform a player of intent to activate extensions or negotiate a new deal within one week of the first saturday in may, or the last league game of the season (whichever is later).

If we didn't do this, he was free to negotiate with other clubs, though we had until the contract expired (or possibly, if I read the regulations right, until the transfer window closed) to activate the clause.

So, while he is under contract to us now, if he hadn't received the written confirmation he was free to negotiate with Elche.

All makes sense, but Elche's public pronouncements of seemingly expecting to get Vicente for nowt were clearly a massive p1ss take... our club had to act, and they did, correctly exercising their option...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's not really the point though. If you're told by your boss that despite having a contract, you're free to stay or leave if you wish, but at the last moment the company change their mind, you are hardly likely to be a)pleased or b) working as hard as you should be. I know I certainly wouldn't. What should and shouldn't have happened is a bit irrelevant. The damage has been done.

I agree it would have p1ssed off Vicente and his agent, but we just couldn't let him walk for nowt... this is business! Gus made a mistake, but may I suggest that Vicente may well have indicated to Gus that he was likely to come back before Gus made the infamous statement...

Anyway, Vicente and his agent now seem to be taking a more mature attitude (after their 'Tevez moment', i.e. Vicente not turning up for work), which would have also caused 'damage' in your words... I'm optimistic that the alleged damage has already / can be overcome...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I agree it would have p1ssed off Vicente and his agent, but we just couldn't let him walk for nowt... this is business! Gus made a mistake, but may I suggest that Vicente may well have indicated to Gus that he was likely to come back before Gus made the infamous statement...

Anyway, Vicente and his agent now seem to be taking a more mature attitude (after their 'Tevez moment', i.e. Vicente not turning up for work), which would have also caused 'damage' in your words... I'm optimistic that the alleged damage has already / can be overcome...

Well, we could as thats exactly what we said we'd do. Gus really does need to learn to keep his mouth firmly shut on things like this. I think Vicente was quite in his rights to 'do a tevez' (which was exceptionally different - one refused to come on as a sub, the other was given less than a week to turn up for training despite being in a separate country, and having just had a baby).

Agreed, hopefully it's all sorted now and we can get back to just watching the most technically gifted player I've seen turn out for the stripes again. I hope even more that we can get him on a 2 year deal ASAP!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Verbal contracts are legally binding. And I suspect any court in the land will take into account statements made to the press by the manager of a football club who, afterall, decides which players are going to be in the team. If a manager makes statements that conflict with the club, he aint going be manager for much longer.

You cannot resist slagging off, arguably, the best player ever to wear the stripes but you carry on if that makes you feel better.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, we could as thats exactly what we said we'd do. Gus really does need to learn to keep his mouth firmly shut on things like this. I think Vicente was quite in his rights to 'do a tevez' (which was exceptionally different - one refused to come on as a sub, the other was given less than a week to turn up for training despite being in a separate country, and having just had a baby).

Agreed, hopefully it's all sorted now and we can get back to just watching the most technically gifted player I've seen turn out for the stripes again. I hope even more that we can get him on a 2 year deal ASAP!

Yes, agree, the best way to get back on track is to agree a contract extension: that would really show positive intent on both sides...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Verbal contracts are legally binding. And I suspect any court in the land will take into account statements made to the press by the manager of a football club who, afterall, decides which players are going to be in the team. If a manager makes statements that conflict with the club, he aint going be manager for much longer.

As I said before, no court in the land would take Gus' word over the contract...

You cannot resist slagging off, arguably, the best player ever to wear the stripes but you carry on if that makes you feel better.

Where is the slagging off!? You are talking sh1t...

And, yes, I will continue to try to correct your misconceptions...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Why are people at each others throats because of the situation Vicente was in 2 weeks ago.
He's here now and will be here for the season, show some f***ing happiness would you people!
Perspective

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Verbal contracts may be legally binding on their own. But a) Gus saying "we won't stand in his way" or whatever is not a verbal contract, it is quite literally a statement of intent (or lack of intent). b) there is a written contract which is a direct agreement between the club and the player, which Gus does not have he authority to overrule.

The court may take it into consideration when questioning if Vicente broke his contract when negotiating with Elche, but they wouldn't take it into serious consideration if Vicente wanted the contract voided, the point may be raised in court, and the judge may pas comment on it, but it won't affect the written contract because it isn't a verbal contract in itself, and Gus doesn't have the authority, and the player who has an existing deal with the club should be aware of who does have the authority.

Last edited:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Just wandering what people thoughts are now ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A man who seemed to be an essential player is now a good option luxury player. We can wait for him to get fit/his head together.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A man who seemed to be an essential player is now a good option luxury player. We can wait for him to get fit/his head together.

Very much THIS.

Now he sees Brighton and Hove ATLETICO playing champagne football and his mate Bruuunooooooo enjoying his football I bet he cant wait to GET INVOLVED.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here