Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Giant Crane over at Falmer.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wouldn't of thought so, I suspect when it was designed and built they took the risk that it will always be used in calm , sunny weather.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
If you're worried, imagine how matey in The Swan feels about that coming through his ceiling :O

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm more worried about that massive arch section which seems to be held in the air using a couple of breeze blocks

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Latest pictures from the ground.

crane.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mmm, crane weighs hundreds of tons, wind is made of air, moving about a bit, think there is a physics thing here. Reckon it will be OK, anyone know a professor to check with

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
They don't use tower cranes in winds over about 25mph (I believe); I'm not sure about the mobile ones on site. But the contractor will have allowed within in his programme for losing a few days due to high winds.

Of course if it was windy for a long period of time they could claim for an extension of time to the programme due to exceptionally adverse weather conditions - but being windy in November is not exceptionally adverse - so we are some way away from that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm up at Falmer at the moment and can confirm that the crane is coping admirably

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Mmm, crane weighs hundreds of tons, wind is made of air, moving about a bit, think there is a physics thing here. Reckon it will be OK, anyone know a professor to check with

I Think you will find that there are little,gappy bits on the crane that the wind can blow thru.:shootself

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I Think you will find that there are little,gappy bits on the crane that the wind can blow thru.:shootself

There are quite a few 'gappy bits' between the leaves and branches on trees. I seem to remember a fair few of those blowing over in '87!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here