Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The future is bright for U S "Soccerball"

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I came across this under 11's football video in The Mail On Line & it shows how far football has come in America. It's frightening to think that they may dominate football if this is the standard they are reaching at under 11's. The affiliations with Barcelona & Arsenal along with whoever else is getting involved is really bringing the game on there, how do you think it compares to our under 11's for those involved with coaching kids football?

Scroll down the page to watch the kids in action, I think they're pretty amazing but then again I don't see too much under 11's football.

Barcelona gospel spreads to America - Neil Ashton column | Mail Online

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I went on holiday to America and spoke to some of the kids and parents there, they love football, watch a bit in the US but they are constantly watching the EPL, even saw one boy with a 'Why always me?' shirt. At all levels, Soccer has the highest participation rates of any sport. Give it 10 years or so and they'll be a real force on the world stage.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
In their next training session they were taught the "lump it forward to the big man" approach, you have to give these kids balance and let them make their own decisions.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I spent a lot of time in the States and kids games were always impressive until you realise that it is a non contact sport. One crunching tackle and they'd all be crying to their (soccer) moms.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the things driving the increased popularity of football in the States is the growing number of Latinos living and working in America. They always followed football before they moved and still want to play it and watch it. In a lot of the football games I have been to watch they have formed a large part of the support. At the end of the day the US is a capitalist country and if they can make money out of soccer they will – even if they still consider it “un-American”. There is almost as much soccer available on TV here as there is in England. In 10 years it could be challenging the Big 4 – who knows. Most people never expected it to get this far.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I spent a lot of time in the States and kids games were always impressive until you realise that it is a non contact sport. One crunching tackle and they'd all be crying to their (soccer) moms.

Is that such a bad thing in kids football?

It concentrates on ball skills, rather than mere physicality, and if they are 11 now, then by the time they play professionally, the game will be non-contact anyway, as it's pretty close these days.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon they will win the World Cup before we do again - and predicted this back in the 90's.

I fully realise I may never be vindicated, but it's a prediction regardless...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I reckon they will win the World Cup before we do again - and predicted this back in the 90's.

I fully realise I may never be vindicated, but it's a prediction regardless...

To be fair - Fishersgate under 11s will win the World Cup before England do.

gingemonde

Mar 25, 2011
I went on holiday to America and spoke to some of the kids and parents there, they love football, watch a bit in the US but they are constantly watching the EPL, even saw one boy with a 'Why always me?' shirt. At all levels, Soccer has the highest participation rates of any sport. Give it 10 years or so and they'll be a real force on the world stage.

I'm not sure it will. I've recently moved to NYC & asked a lot of colleagues about soccer in the country. All kids play organised soccer when they grow up BUT when they enter high school, most of them stop playing and concentrate on the "big 4" American sports. The sports have more prestige in america so its natural. Funny thing is, parents (well mothers actually) would prefer it if their kids carried on playing soccer rather than a sport like american football cos its so brutal. It's ages 11-16 where u really learn the tactical side of football & it really shows when u play with American adults - they have no idea where to stand on the pitch even though they are pretty skilful.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Similar to Australia, if they had won the right to host the World Cup I could see the A-league getting as big as the MLS in 10/15 years. It's already the most played sport by kids.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not sure it will. I've recently moved to NYC & asked a lot of colleagues about soccer in the country. All kids play organised soccer when they grow up BUT when they enter high school, most of them stop playing and concentrate on the "big 4" American sports. The sports have more prestige in america so its natural. Funny thing is, parents (well mothers actually) would prefer it if their kids carried on playing soccer rather than a sport like american football cos its so brutal. It's ages 11-16 where u really learn the tactical side of football & it really shows when u play with American adults - they have no idea where to stand on the pitch even though they are pretty skilful.

I had a chat with my lecturer for Sports Journalism about this the other day and he was saying that it's predicted that there will be more Latinos in America than white Americans by as early as 2040 and this is why he thinks football will be one of the major sports in the US alongside American handegg, rounders and netball.
Not sure how accurate the prediction is but I'm sure the ever-growing Latino community will have a positive impact on "soccer"

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Hopefully the possibility of a second New York soccer team in the MLS is getting a bit closer.

Queens chosen as venue for MLS 20th team – today’s New York Times

Officials are now looking at a site in Queens. Queens would be a good choice as it is home to a large Latino community and already has the Mets baseball team and hosts the US Open. Both the Mayor and Governor of New York are backing it and it would be great to have some competition with the Red Bulls who are averaging about 17,000 supporters at their stadium in Harrison.

Good result for the US team as they beat Mexico 1-0 on their home turf for the first time in 75 years.

Hopefully the possibility of a second New York soccer team in the MLS is getting a bit closer.

Queens chosen as venue for MLS 20th team – today’s New York Times

Officials are now looking at a site in Queens. Queens would be a good choice as it is home to a large Latino community and already has the Mets baseball team and hosts the US Open. Both the Mayor and Governor of New York are backing it and it would be great to have some competition with the Red Bulls who are averaging about 17,000 supporters at their stadium in Harrison.

Good result for the US team as they beat Mexico 1-0 on their home turf for the first time in 75 years.
The proposed stadium site is right next door to where Los Peladitos play - the team that was the first to be sponsored by REMF. Mostly the kids of Ecuadorian immigrants.

p276929744-3.jpg

p478875105-3.jpg

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I came across this under 11's football video in The Mail On Line & it shows how far football has come in America. It's frightening to think that they may dominate football if this is the standard they are reaching at under 11's. The affiliations with Barcelona & Arsenal along with whoever else is getting involved is really bringing the game on there, how do you think it compares to our under 11's for those involved with coaching kids football?

Scroll down the page to watch the kids in action, I think they're pretty amazing but then again I don't see too much under 11's football.

Barcelona gospel spreads to America - Neil Ashton column | Mail Online

Better if Michael Caine wasn't shouting all the way through that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here