Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The football season: ending as soon as it begins

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For as long as I can remember this phenomena seems to affect me.

The football season starts on a gloriously sunny day, Winter kicks in and it still feels as though we're in the early stages of a long, long season and then, suddenly, it's nearly over for another year.

We've just arrived at that point again for me - single digit games to go and only a few days until the cricket season begins again.

We really some play-off action to keep this season going into May.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I get this to, by christmas it feels like we are just getting started, then we hit January where we start playing the reverse fixtures and it feels like a long way to go, next think you know its March and we're nearly over.. Every season it does it to me and still catches me by surprise

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree. Football season does always seem really stop-start. Begins in August, then there's immediately countless international breaks and League Cup games and it doesn't really get going again properly until about November. Then next thing you know the Winter's flown by and there's only a handful of games left. How queer!

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Whatever happens now it's been a great season with some fantastic moments in our glorious new home..
Squeezing into the play offs would be the cherry!

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Completely agree, was thinking exactly the same thing last week when I realised there was only 10 games left. Doesn't seem right that incredible day at the beginning of August was over 7 months ago!!

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
This summer will fly by I am sure with the Euros and Olympics on the telebox! punk:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The seasons just seem to fly by quicker and quicker the older you get.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Yep same here.

Much better on an even year when there's a big International tournament to cover a month of the close season though.

It only feels like a few months rather than 2 years since I was counting down till the start of the last season at Withdean.

As Everest says above, it's more time flying by in general than specifically football related though

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
At least the season is playing out with a bit of excitement. It would be worse if we were mid table, safe but no chance of playoffs. Even if we miss out, it might not be until the last game. What a rollercoaster !

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
At least the season is playing out with a bit of excitement. It would be worse if we were mid table, safe but no chance of playoffs. Even if we miss out, it might not be until the last game. What a rollercoaster !

Indeed, chasing palyoffs and then the big thing of finally finishing above Palace which could also go to the wire.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Funnily enuff, I increasingly feel that the season begins almost as soon as it ends these days. I think it must have something to do with a age-related malfunction of the Shatner's Bassoon innit. :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I felt a bit of closure coming along when East Preston FC spanked County League Two and gained promotion some 4 weeks ago!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Time Warp

Stuck inside Priestfield, five below zero and a dose of gastric flu (and a case of treble pneumonia) and going down 0-1. I can't even remember where home was.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
For as long as I can remember this phenomena seems to affect me.

The football season starts on a gloriously sunny day, Winter kicks in and it still feels as though we're in the early stages of a long, long season and then, suddenly, it's nearly over for another year.

We've just arrived at that point again for me - single digit games to go and only a few days until the cricket season begins again.

We really some play-off action to keep this season going into May.

Exactly this.

I have booked two weeks holiday away in July and other fun things between end of this season and start of next so time to next season doesn't drag to much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here