Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The difference between Poyet vs Slade vs Adams situations

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I think Poyets situation is totally different to Slades and Adams.
different to Poyet and Slade = he has come in roughly same time but hasnt spent much money but took his time to look at the players in the squad before nipping into the transfer market to sign some quality players Calderon, Painter, Lua Lua, Hendrie, then a few other players like Holyroyd who i like to see that we take a chance on players who perform well in lower leagues.
But Poyet has not only got us away from the relagation zone but totally changed our style of play, we was a long ball team and now we play some great football and getting some good reviews on how we play a good example is vs colchester you would never have known that they were 4th and us about 17th at the time.
We totally battered them in football terms and deserved a draw, and got brillant results vs charlton, leeds, huddersfield, colchester etc.
Whilst Slade yes he got the team to stay out of relegation but it wasnt pretty its was with real heart and commitment, we didnt play great football, we only had players like Andrew and Owusu who was good but not quality players.
But now we attracting players who want to play passing game and therefore going to be better players, this has to show that we will perfom better next season, yes did think would be better this year at beginning due to players we signed and money spent but we still played the same way eg direct with Slade and didnt suit the players we had.
But Poyet has changed all of this over a short period and league one is a tough league with some good teams in but the main thing is we are matching these teams and even loaning 4 of our players to a higher standard than us eg Tunnicliffe - mk dons, Dickinson - Tiny Peterboro, Forster - charlton, Mcnulty - scunthorpe.
Which shows that we obviousally have a good or better squad as who would have wanted any of our players last season on loan if had option ? maybe Murray etc, but owusu didnt have many teams after him at end of year so this shows to me a big difference between the Poyet vs Slade situation.
What do you all think of these opinions of mine ?
Also Adams come in to the club for a 2nd time with high expectations due to his amazing 1st spell at club and after wilkins nearly took us into the playoffs, again he didnt get us off the best start and from then onwards had his back against the wall and felt the pressure and as much as like him i think his standard is now league 2.
Does anyone know what Slade is upto ? as he does deserve to be in work as a good guy and did a good job for us, and will be remembered.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I think Poyet has done a superb job, moving us up the league and into a much better position, a respectable place to finish in the league considering our poor form early in the season. Aswell as this he has had to play the top few teams twice making his spell here even more impressive.
I think the real test will come after southampton, the remaining games are all ones we should be looking to win, judging by our current form. If the team can keep playing as well as we have been then the rest of the season will be much more enjoyable than the beginning. and then next season we will win the League, the Paint Pot AND the FA Cup. well maybe not, but our chances of one of those will be much higher.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Good point that the difference is Bloom to Knight but Slade had Bloom in charge for his transfers at the beginning of the year, so he spent a lot of money well in brightons past, does anyone know the exact time that Slade took over in the season and what his record was that season, compared to Poyets record so far ?
Also is Slade still unemployed ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Goal difference is now only -4!Scoring without conceding.Poyet is a miracle worker:bowdown:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Slade is a great judge of a player. It's worth noting that the three people I've seen mentioned as player of the year (Dicker, Crofts and Bennett) are all Slade signings and when you think that all the players he signed (but one, Jake Wright) have been sold or loaned to a higher placed team or sold at a profit (Mark Wright), he had a fantastic record in the transfer market.

I know it won't happen, but I'd liked to have seen Salad as chief scout because he can certainly pick players, he just couldn't get them motivated to play and didn't do anything to stop the glut of red cards at the start of the season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I think Slade is a great judge of a player. It's worth noting that the three people I've seen mentioned as player of the year (Dicker, Crofts and Bennett) are all Slade signings and when you think that all the players he signed (but one, Jake Wright) have been sold or loaned to a higher placed team or sold at a profit (Mark Wright), he had a fantastic record in the transfer market.

I know it won't happen, but I'd liked to have seen Salad as chief scout because he can certainly pick players, he just couldn't get them motivated to play and didn't do anything to stop the glut of red cards at the start of the season.
Chief scout? That is a good call but he will most likely want to get back into management again soon. He has the bug and will be itching again soon.
For all his downfalls i will always like Slade and hopes he gets a good job offer.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I heard from someone that Slade already has a job lined up but it is not due to start till next season, also the rumour is that Booker is joining him.. The person who told me was employed by him to help facilitate his move there, its a league two team (at the moment but they are doing dreadful) if I can remember right.

Dont know the bloke who told me well so dont know whether he was talking bollocks though!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Chief scout? That is a good call but he will most likely want to get back into management again soon. He has the bug and will be itching again soon.

Well yes, I said it wasn't going to happen. I'm sure Slade fancies management and we don't want too many ex-managers hanging around but I still think that Slade is an excellent judge of a player and I do fancy Russell picking them and Gus getting them to play.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I will always be greatful to RS for what he did last year, but I can't imagine how far down the league we would be if he had stayed. The way the team were playing and that run of double headersd against all the top teams......ouch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here