Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Daily Mail ignoring the Albion - a nice note

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Much has been made of The Daily Mail ignoring the Albion in their article detailing the shake-up at the top of the Championship. An NSCer ([MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] West) wrote to the Daily Mail who sent this note back. He asked I share it with one and all...

Dear Mr Somerset West

You are right, of course - as Brighton proved by defeating Derby 2-0 on Tuesday to move into fourth place.

It was an oversight. They were mentioned as the team with the best unbeaten run in an original version of the article (12 games). This was then removed after they were defeated last weekend, but their impressive season should have been reflected elsewhere in the article.

Guy Poyet has done an amazing job and this was reflected in Jamie Redknapp's column in these pages just over a week ago, pasted below.

++
Vicente is class

Brighton are 12 games unbeaten, they have a stadium - and a manager - ready for the Barclays Premier League and their style of play is in vogue too. Like Swansea they pass from the back and have pace out wide.

It took the delightful Vicente, who has ended up there from Valencia because of Gus Poyet, to see off Portsmouth. He has a wand of a left foot and if he can stay fit, he could be taking them to Wembley for the play-offs.
++

However, that is no excuse and you are right, Brighton's form, their football and their performances should have been included in the article you refer to.

There is a real scramble for places in the top six of the Championship and the article was meant to reflect that.

Rest assured, we will be drawing attention to Brighton's achievements as the season advances.

Please accept my apology.

Lee Clayton,
Head of Sport,
Daily Mail

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Much has been made of The Daily Mail ignoring the Albion in their article detailing the shake-up at the top of the Championship. An NSCer ([MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] West) wrote to the Daily Mail who sent this note back. He asked I share it with one and all...

Dear Mr Somerset West

You are right, of course - as Brighton proved by defeating Derby 2-0 on Tuesday to move into fourth place.

It was an oversight. They were mentioned as the team with the best unbeaten run in an original version of the article (12 games). This was then removed after they were defeated last weekend, but their impressive season should have been reflected elsewhere in the article.

Guy Poyet has done an amazing job and this was reflected in Jamie Redknapp's column in these pages just over a week ago, pasted below.

++
Vicente is class

Brighton are 12 games unbeaten, they have a stadium - and a manager - ready for the Barclays Premier League and their style of play is in vogue too. Like Swansea they pass from the back and have pace out wide.

It took the delightful Vicente, who has ended up there from Valencia because of Gus Poyet, to see off Portsmouth. He has a wand of a left foot and if he can stay fit, he could be taking them to Wembley for the play-offs.
++

However, that is no excuse and you are right, Brighton's form, their football and their performances should have been included in the article you refer to.

There is a real scramble for places in the top six of the Championship and the article was meant to reflect that.

Rest assured, we will be drawing attention to Brighton's achievements as the season advances.

Lee Clayton,
Head of Sport,
Daily Mail

Pretty fair.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
That is nice to hear, well done Lee Clayton

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Dear Mr Somerset West

++
Vicente is class

++

Lee Clayton,
Head of Sport,
Daily Mail

Shockingly no mention of the 99p shop in haywards heath - i am outraged.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There was a tweet suggesting that the reason we were missed out is that one of the sports reporters at the Mail is a Palace fan.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
There was a tweet suggesting that the reason we were missed out is that one of the sports reporters at the Mail is a Palace fan.

If that's the case, he's immature and unprofessional. Rivalry shouldn't detract from doing your job, even if that job is as parasitic as journalism.
In my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here