Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The curse of GB olympic athletes finally strikes, today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know if this is the very 1st insult by one of our own, but it's certainly the 1st I've heard.

Our men's 3m syncro diving pair, came 7th out of 8, that's 2nd to last in old money.

In the interview afterwards we were the subjected to:-

"It's a real honour to be here"
"We are really pleased to get 7th"
"We will be working hard for gold in 2012"

Personally I see that more as:-

"I can't believe we blagged this jolly"
"Especially as I can't swim"
"Another 4 years for spunking away funding, get in"

Has Phelps got as far as he has by being pleased with 7th?
Does your average Aussie enjoy being 'first last' (second)?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Just another in a long line of examples of the ONCE great country now rewarding failure... It's happening all to often now and it's no coincidence that we are getting shitter and shitter at sports.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe that the olympics is a fantastic shag-fest so I'm not surprised thay are glad they made it to Bejing....... actually on a side issue....

Paula Radcliffe.... yes or no ? I'm in the yes camp 'cos having to hold that bladder in check for 26 miles must give her one hell of a pelvic floor. despite the baby she must be like a Mole's eye down there ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, the springboard divers did better than the 10m platform divers, and at least they're not hurling insults at each other now.

:lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've noticed a little saying creeping in to the interviews

"I'm proud to have been an Olympian" and variants.

In other words "I did well just getting here - had no hope of a medal - but I've shagged three team mates and I've got something to tell my grand kids"

Feeble minded.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't wait for the Swimming, Horse riding, shooting, archery etc to finish and the REAL Olympics begin with the track and field. We will of course be equally as shit but it's a heck of a lot more fun to watch.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I don't know if this is the very 1st insult by one of our own, but it's certainly the 1st I've heard.

Our men's 3m syncro diving pair, came 7th out of 8, that's 2nd to last in old money.

In the interview afterwards we were the subjected to:-

"It's a real honour to be here"
"We are really pleased to get 7th"
"We will be working hard for gold in 2012"

Personally I see that more as:-

"I can't believe we blagged this jolly"
"Especially as I can't swim"
"Another 4 years for spunking away funding, get in"

Has Phelps got as far as he has by being pleased with 7th?
Does your average Aussie enjoy being 'first last' (second)?

I believe that you have to beat about 32 other countries to qualify for the final so technically its like coming 7th out of 32.

In the team event it was only a few marks between 8th and a bronze medal so the theory is they are young and the experience should make them win (or score in the olmpic village more) in London 2012.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Paula Radcliffe.... yes or no ? I'm in the yes camp 'cos having to hold that bladder in check for 26 miles must give her one hell of a pelvic floor. despite the baby she must be like a Mole's eye down there ?

definite yes for me. face down, of course. and, if you're lucky, she might do a little wee on you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I see some bad-loser Aussie bloke commented on our swimming gold and bronze medals as being "quite good for a country with little soap and few swimming pools".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
7th in the world is quite an achievement in itself or am I being a defeatest?

Yes.
On a personal level I to would be happy with 7th.
Therefore I know I'm not an olympic gold medalist in waiting, so am not in Bejing.

Why do I have to listen to their excuses/justification?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes.
On a personal level I to would be happy with 7th.
Therefore I know I'm not an olympic gold medalist in waiting, so am not in Bejing.

Why do I have to listen to their excuses/justification?

By the same token, they ARE at Beijing with an alleged DEFEATIST attitude. I don't know what else they are supposed to say. Obviously each and everyone of them will be disappointed and question whether they could have prepared better or done something different on the day. I don't think the camera persona is an accurate measure of their dedication and determination.

Have our genuine medal hopes gone out there all guns blazing? I can't remember Wiggins, Hoy, Pendleton, Emms & Robertson, Idowu etc. giving it large akin to the Americans or Aussies. Perhaps we are just far more reserved as a nation.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
I believe that the olympics is a fantastic shag-fest so I'm not surprised thay are glad they made it to Bejing....... actually on a side issue....

Mole's eye

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barrel of Fun;2533335 Have our genuine medal hopes gone out there all guns blazing? I can't remember Wiggins said:
Fair comment, it's not 'our way'.
Although E & R in an interview did say we got this far only on 80%, we can really do 'um now we are both fit (I'm paraphrasing there).

My point is more to do with what I originally said.
Did Phelps go to Bejiing just to make up the numbers?.
Can you hear an interview with him saying I'm glad I got 7th.

The same can be said for all great athletes, Thompson was more 'in your face', but I'm damn sure Sir Steve wouldn't have stood there an said that either.
So why do we have to put up with others spouting such rubbish.

Will they get a medal in 2012?
I'm completely 100% sure they won't, but they will still give the same bloody interview afterwards.

And the interviewer won't pull them up on it, handing back to the studio saying
'fine words from 2 great competators'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here