Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Casper Ankergren appreciation thread

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A relatively unsung hero of the season in my view

When he arrived, I honestly half suspected that Gus had brought him in because of his big-team experience as opposed to purely his goalkeeping expertise.

I reckon I was half right. His goalkeeping expertise is only half of the value that he provides. I have *never* seen an Albion keeper as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Ankergren and IMO he is one of the main reasons for Albion's success. Playing as a spare centre half, he allows our defence to create triangles meaning more space to run the game.

And there have been occasions when he has saved us points, last night being a prime example.

So a big cheers to Casper, and I hope he is still here next season. :cheers:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Wasn't there but it seemed he saved us! The jury is still out with me as to whether he is reliable enough for a whole Championship campaign, mind you he's not the only one I have doubts about in our current squad. As there is nothing I can do to influence team selection, I will have to trust Gus and Tanno. If he's good enough for them then he's good enough for me. :)

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Casper will be our number one next season. Why wouldn't he be?

Sure, coming for crosses is not his strong point, but how many goals have we conceeded this season, when you though "bloody keeper!" I can't think of any.

He's excellent knocking the ball about at the back, which is what Gus wants, he can pull saves out of nowhere, I think he's more than good enough for next season. I think his true worth to the side, will only become appartent when hes injured, As much as I like Brezovan, I don't think he would be up to a season in the championship, but big Casper is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Breadvan will be at the top of the transfer list I suspect. Casper will be a squad player at the very worst.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Casper will be our number one next season. Why wouldn't he be?

Sure, coming for crosses is not his strong point, but how many goals have we conceeded this season, when you though "bloody keeper!" I can't think of any.

He's excellent knocking the ball about at the back, which is what Gus wants, he can pull saves out of nowhere, I think he's more than good enough for next season. I think his true worth to the side, will only become appartent when hes injured, As much as I like Brezovan, I don't think he would be up to a season in the championship, but big Casper is.

Agree, the Rochdale one is the only one I would attribute to his error.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I find him somewhat frustrating, I feel like he should be so much better than he is. He is very good with the ball at his feet, but early this season that wasn't the case, I remember the early games the passing between el abd, elphick and ankergren was not as smooth as it is now, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it shows he has the ability to adapt and develop the skills needed to play the way he does.

Early this season I used to get quite nervous every time the ball came in from crosses, literally butterflies in the stomach nervous. I don't get that so much, but I do wince so much every time the ball is crossed. Sometimes it's because no one goes for it and the ball bounces neat the far post where we're saved by our opponents not expecting it to get through, or because he makes a move as if he is going to come for it, then backs away.

When the ball is played over the top he never seems to know whether to come for it or not. There have been many occasions where a balled played over the top has all the hallmarks of the sort of ball a keeper collecting on the edge of his area takes away any threat. Everyone sees the flight of the ball and assumes 'that's the keeper's'. Everyone except Casper, who waits back in his box, often El Abd realises this in time to collect the ball and play it back, but every so often the attacker realises first, and puts pressure on el abd to clear the ball out and we're suddenly facing a throw in down near our own goal. Other times a ball comes in and you think it's not through enough for the keeper, casper will run out towards the edge of his box, realise he's not going to get there, start backing away, and the ball gets played across to a decently positioned attacker.

Increasingly his distribution under pressure has deteriorated, I don't think I've seen him screw so many clearances out of play in a single match as he did v carlisle.

His punching/slapping at the ball is inconsistent, some times he can get great distance, other times he barey gets anything on it, and it drops to the opposition more often than someone of casper's experience and quality should allow it to.

I also find his time wasting (on goal kicks - I know the bllat his feet during the game is in play, and I loved him standing still v charlton) to be quite annoying (though admire the way he has perfected it to keep yellow cards to a minimum).

But he also makes some great saves. Last night sounded like he put in a fantastic performance, making key saves in the first half to keep things level, and in the second to keep our lead in tact, and he deserves a whole heap of praise for it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Rochdale one was shocking, and directly cost us two points. He's more than won them back though.

Casper = :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here