Jul 5, 2003
at home
I want U337 of the Kriegsmarine to float up the Thames and torpedo the toffs

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Oxford, seeing as I used to live near there.

Also, my cousin is studying at Cambridge and I can't stand the smug twat.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Oxford as I used to live there

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Have the same two reached the final again?

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
The respective toffishness of the rowers does not concern me in the slightest. I just don't understand why such a big deal is made of this, it's a boring sport contested by 2 teams that 99% of the population have absolutely no affinity with whatsoever. How did it become such a national institution? And why a boat race?!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The light blues. :clap:

Being an O.B. (Old Brookes) it would be sacrilegious to support the Dark Blues, plus my old man went to Cambridge. Brookes used to spank Oxford regularly and churns out many Olympians, but obviously denied entry into the big race of the year.

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
Please do not do this tomorrow (unless you really want to).

[YT]7Xc3Vx-mgPE[/YT]

Any chance of this again?

[YT]Wu1MEIL1P-g[/YT]

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
Just, just, just, just..oh f*** it, just hurl f***ing insults at the inbread f***ing hoorays (on the banks) and the Yanks rowing.

Other than that, does it matter? roll on Ascot, Wimbledon and Cowes.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The respective toffishness of the rowers does not concern me in the slightest. I just don't understand why such a big deal is made of this, it's a boring sport contested by 2 teams that 99% of the population have absolutely no affinity with whatsoever. How did it become such a national institution? And why a boat race?!

They also have a rugby match at Twickenham, that usually draws a pretty good crowd, and a football match. The footy match used to be played at Wembley but I think they moved it to Fulham on the same day as the boat race, that used to be played in front of a fair few too, I was at the 100th game as a school kid and think there may have been about 25k there.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Rowing is an endurance sport. The amount of training they put in and the amount of effort put into each race is truly outstanding. Rowing is far from boring. Why does 99% of the population have no affinity with them? They train hard and want to be the best at their chosen sport. If 99% of the population had the dedication and drive of these guys then perhaps we wouldn't have so many wasters dragging down society.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Oxbridge isn't all bad - for example...

Pegasus F.C. was an English amateur football club based in Oxford and composed of Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) university students.

Formed in 1948 as an attempt to revive the "Corinthian" ideals of amateurism from 19th century sport, the symbol Pegasus was chosen as containing elements from the logos of the football clubs of both Oxford University (a centaur) and Cambridge University (a falcon).

At first, members had to be current Oxford or Cambridge University players or to have left the previous year, but this rule was later relaxed.[1] The club had great success in the 1950s, including wins at Wembley Stadium in the FA Amateur Cup in 1951, which finished 2-1 against Bishop Auckland, and 1953, which finished 6-0 against Harwich & Parkeston in front a full house of 100,000 spectators. On both occasions, the semi-final was played at Highbury and was drawn, so that a replay was necessary. In the 1951 semi-final, Pegasus's opponents, Hendon, were awarded a penalty in the last minute, but missed it, and Pegasus won the replay at Selhurst Park.[2]

However, changes in university culture in the 1960s and defections to Corinthian-Casuals, as well as the Football Association's abolition of the distinction between amateur and professional clubs, undermined its ethos and the club folded in 1963.

Would any amateur game get anywhere near 100,000 spectators today?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not all Oxford and Cambridge students are toffs. My eldest got into Cambridge , and I hardly think the son of a bricklayer can be described as a toff.

Toff son.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rowing is an endurance sport. The amount of training they put in and the amount of effort put into each race is truly outstanding. Rowing is far from boring. Why does 99% of the population have no affinity with them? They train hard and want to be the best at their chosen sport. If 99% of the population had the dedication and drive of these guys then perhaps we wouldn't have so many wasters dragging down society.

It's funny how Steve Redgrave is looked upon with affection and admiration but a team of rowers, because they happen to be at uni, aren't.
My cousin's son got into Oxford and my daughter wasn't even made an offer from the Cambridge college she applied to (despite the fact that she got 5 grade 'A' A levels) means that I support Oxford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here