Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Biggest Shock in Sports History

What is the biggest upset in sports history?

• Leicester wins the EPL (2015/16)

• Buster Douglas defeats Mike Tyson (1990)

• Miracle on Ice - USA defeats USSR (1980 Olympics)

• Denmark wins European Championships (1992)

• Greece wins Euros (2004)

• USA beats England 1 - 0 (1950 WC)

• Emma Radacanu wins US Open (2021)

• Japan bests South Africa (2014 RUWC)

• Washington Generals beats the Harlem Globetrotters (1971)

• The Miracle at Medinah (2012 Ryuder Cup)

Results are only viewable after voting.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just read that the mighty USA basketball team came within a hairs breadth of losing to South Sudan in a warm up for the Paris Olympics.

This got myself and the chaps at the Ship Inn contemplating what is the biggest upset in the history of Sport?

???

SAC

May 21, 2014
Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup Final.

Liverpool were only six places above them in the old First Division table but it was by 33 points and Liverpool had only lost two or three times all season.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I voted Leicester because of the umber of games they had to play. Heavyweight boxing it only takes one punch to change the outcome so it’s not Douglas. But maybe the correct answer is Japan beating South Africa that was incredible.
By this logic, I voted Emma Raducanu. She won 10 matches to win a tournament which usually requires only 7. She didn't lose a set and she beat a couple of players seriously in form at that time (including the Olympic Gold Medallist from a month or so before). It was remarkable what she managed considering her age, lack of experience and to be honest, lack of ability/mentality/fitness.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just read that the mighty USA basketball team came within a hairs breadth of losing to South Sudan in a warm up for the Paris Olympics.

This got myself and the chaps at the Ship Inn contemplating what is the biggest upset in the history of Sport?

???
I'm very surprised that, given the intense amount of knowledge you will have gained about cricket from watching The Hundred, that Zimbabwe's defeat of Australia at the 1983 World Cup isn't in there. Then again, I should make allowances.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Where’s The Mighty Ducks option?

1721724532993.jpeg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
BHAFC 0 Leatherhead 1

BHAFC 0 Walton & Hersham 4

:lol:

In more recent times

ROI 3 France 1 (Womens Euro qualifier. France ranked 2nd in world. ROI ranked 25th)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Greece win, as i recall they were quite shit, relied on bus parking and occasional long ball to 1 upfront, got lucky enough times.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Was tempted by Japan but went Leicester as it was over a full season. Yes the big guns faltered but they had the mental fortitude to get over the line. It was truly astonishing.

Some great shocks in that list, USA beating England is mighty close too.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
USA beating England 1-0 in 1950. It was before satellite broadcasting, so the match wasn't live, and apparently one newspaper, unable to believe the score that had come down the wire, printed the result as 10-1 to England. At the time it was the greatest of shocks.

Maybe in retrospect it wasn't quite the shock it appeared then because as per usual we weren't nearly as good as we thought we were. It was our first World Cup and the assumption was that, being England the inventors of football and finally deigning to take part, we would waltz home with the trophy. After all we had the players, Matthews, Finney, Mannion, Mortensen, Wright, Milburn etc, so how could we not win? (It was a lesson in hubris that of course we've never learnt).

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Denmark 1992 because they hadn't qualified for the finals and only came in when Yugoslavia were thrown out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lake Placid 1980 the men’s ice hockey final. The USA squad averaged 22 years old, through the college system. The USSR were full time athletes and systematic doping cheats.

I stayed up to watch it, the atmosphere was incredible.

Over a full season, LCFC’s title was astonishing. I cannot see that sort of thing be repeated, ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here