Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best summer of Albion transfers ever?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I can't think of a summer where we have bought anywhere near this amount of quality:

Hoskins
Buckley
Vincelot
Lua Lua (loan)
Harley
CMS

With those signings, the imminient arrival of Vicente, and potentially a Premier League striker on loan, I think we have smashed any previous transfer window spending sprees in terms of quality as well as £ - even if you put them into context with the division we are in.

Well done Gus.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It puts it into perspective when you think cms and vicente are probably in the top 5 of the biggest signings we've ever made. Not to mention buckley, who momentarily broke our transfer record. The others aren't half bad either...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's probably bang up there for value for money as well. Sure we got Bobby Zamora for £100k in the past but in terms of buying in quality that can make us very comfortable in the Championship - we're doing it relatively cheaply. Buckley/Harley/Vincelot/Hoskins we're all bargains.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Vincelot for 100k is an absolute steal, I can still hardly believe we paid such a relatively small amount for such a diverse player. It's good to see we're not paying over the odds for a player who isn't worth it, or doesn't fit in with the way we play.

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
One great deal after another.... and Vicente could be the icing on the cake.... If he's half the player he was, he's going to rip this division a new one.... on a free without breaking the wage structure. Deal-tastic Scenes!

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
The best summer of Albion transfers ever?

Do bears sh*t in woods ???

Well, yes, if you look at the individuals we've signed it's pretty obvious. But that's why I brought the context of the division into it too. E.g. we signed Crofts and Bennett in League One & Zamora in League Two, so you are measuring their quality against the division(s) they played in as well as against our current signings. Even taking that into account I believe it's the best summer of signings ever.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is surely partly down to the fact we have 18,400 people committed to paying the club all season. I hope the number of STHs doesn't tail off too much next season.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
This is surely partly down to the fact we have 18,400 people committed to paying the club all season. I hope the number of STHs doesn't tail off too much next season.

I agree. That guaranteed income for the club takes a lot of the risk out of paying big money for signings, a la CMS, as well as going a long way to paying their wages. I can't see interest dipping next season, especially if we carry on the way we've started. Isn't there a waiting list of over 1,000 for season tickets?

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand

Well i would hope that all those who didn't get ST this year buy one next year, therefore boosting the numbers back up for possible plastics who may not bother next year, there should be sufficient demand considering all the newbies that have attended cup games / occasional league game.
Have we got a waiting list for ST, thought i read somewhere there was ???

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
My big transfer was the 500k we paid for Robbo from PNE. Times have changed however, and when you look at that list its improbable that we have ever seen the same before. Quality players, quality manager, quality owner. As a fan what more could you ask for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here