Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I dont have any kids, and (as you mention it) I think child benefit is effectively an infertility tax..............but that's just a personal view, I am completely relaxed with the premise that all taxes are used to maintain the essential organs of the state. If you think that the BBC has equivalence with that of the UK's emergency services then I can understand why you are childless and not driving...............in fact I am quite relieved.

Hehe wow...just wow. You snidey little bitch.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I'm obviously biased - i work for BBC Sport - but i do wonder what people will think if the BBC ever disintegrates. It's essential, i think, for democracy as a whole - as we have to remain impartial.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It's essential, i think, for democracy as a whole - as we have to remain impartial.

How long before another person ignores the fact they have a Tory as Political Editor and says they're clearly left-wing, not impartial...? I'll give it about 30 seconds...

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and put it online. That would be incredible. I don't think I'd ever go out again.

And yes, the BBC is brilliant.

ah, but would you pay for it and how much and to whom. after alll lots of the stuff in their archives is not owned by the BBC

luge

Dec 18, 2010
How long before another person ignores the fact they have a Tory as Political Editor and says they're clearly left-wing, not impartial...? I'll give it about 30 seconds...

Being impartial doesn't mean not having political views. You just can't broadcast them. Yeah there probably are a lot of lefties in the BBC. I know loads. I also know tories. I also know people who work on the major news programmes - today,, 10 o clock who used to be daily mail journalists....

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
First thing I do when I come home is check the BBC website, in this order; Football, News, World News, iPlayer. Then my browsing selection gets significantly lower brow.

Still not convinced by the BBC Football page layout.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Being impartial doesn't mean not having political views. You just can't broadcast them. Yeah there probably are a lot of lefties in the BBC. I know loads. I also know tories. I also know people who work on the major news programmes - today,, 10 o clock who used to be daily mail journalists....

I completely agree. It just makes me laugh when people claim the BBC is biased towards the left-wing when they have a Tory in charge of their political news. Though of course their coverage seems left-wing when compared to the Sun/Star/Mail/Express, so if that's where most of your news comes from, I understand it would appear to be so...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I very rarely watch the telly but I do listen to radio a great deal and the license fee is worth evety penny. You only have to listen to garbage like talksport to realise how good they are.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I completely agree. It just makes me laugh when people claim the BBC is biased towards the left-wing when they have a Tory in charge of their political news. Though of course their coverage seems left-wing when compared to the Sun/Star/Mail/Express, so if that's where most of your news comes from, I understand it would appear to be so...

Exactly this. Thanks for the back up brother!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

working for the Daily Mail does not necessarily make you right wing. Plenty of former Guardian writers now working for the Mail (Melanie Philips for example) - could be that better pay is a better conviction than equality...................................

would never happen in football??????

Last edited:

luge

Dec 18, 2010
working for the Daily Mail does not necessarily make you right wing. Plenty of former Guardian writers now working for the Mail (Melanie Philips for example - could be that better pay is a better conviction than equality...................................

would never happen in football??????

This is not by any means accurate - but here is a rough scale of pay.... most to least

MAIL
SUN
TELEGRAPH
TIMES
MIRROR
OTHER RED TOPS
GUARDIAN
INDEPENDENT

I WANT to hear left wing views on the BBC. I also WANT to hear right wing views. And centrist views. What I DON'T want is a bland version of politics that presents stuff as if there are NO views underlying the disagreements. That sort of political coverage gives the impression that all politics is about self-serving self-promotion by the individuals who are featured. Politics ISN'T like that - it's about real differences of opinion about how the world, or the country, or the city, or the village should be run.

Having said that, the BBC does better at politics than most other media.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I WANT to hear left wing views on the BBC. I also WANT to hear right wing views. And centrist views. What I DON'T want is a bland version of politics that presents stuff as if there are NO views underlying the disagreements. That sort of political coverage gives the impression that all politics is about self-serving self-promotion by the individuals who are featured. Politics ISN'T like that - it's about real differences of opinion about how the world, or the country, or the city, or the village should be run.

Having said that, the BBC does better at politics than most other media.

It's a tricky thing to do. Basically - whatever you broadcast, yopu get criticised for being the opposite. basically you have to present a range of views over time - but people just become blinkered and don't see that.

I couldn't be arced to deal with all that to be fair - so I went and did sport instead!

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Never used iplayer, too far out in the sticks to get a fast enough connection. They do do politics better than any others, and for Euros are far better than on ITV. I'm only pissed off that I live in West Sussex, yet my local BBC TV has said it will not report on the Albion in its sports report. The bloody weather map goes all the way over to Horsham, Crawley, Haywards Heath and Gatwick, but the football reporting only goes over as far as Fratton Park.

Jul 20, 2003
those who dismiss the BBC as left wing will hate this and miss the point

BBC iPlayer - Is It Worth It?

well worth listening to if you have an hour to spare over the weekend, ostensibly a documentary on the song 'Shipbuilding' but the later half focuses more on personal stories surrounding the Falklands war. A quite excellent piece of radio.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sure I do, I am paying for it. But given the choice, then I would happily not watch it or use an alternative website.............they are a commercial broadcaster I dont see why the state should enforce my obligation to pay for it. Then again I am against facisim in all forms.

What a load of old nonsense. You do realise you're paying tax for a whole load of stuff you might not use, right? That's a form of fascism too?

I would love it if they did find a way to let people like yourself opt out. You'd be in a sad lonely minority though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here