Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
With an annual budget in the region of £4bn (which is twice that of SKY) I would expect it to be amazing but then it does come at a cost.

I say in the region of £4bn because this "Corporation" has spent untold money in legal fees trying to prevent the National Audit Office opening up its books, and they only admitted in Jan this year (I think) to receiving grants (of over £3m) from the EU (or British Taxpayers by proxy.

This may all sound like I am hiding behind the grassy knoll but even the Director General said last year that the BBC had issues presenting some areas of the news impartially......in fact he said "there are some areas (of our output), immigration, business and Europe, where the BBC has historically been rather weak and rather nervous about letting that entire debate happen.’

Yes we know............another apology.

You think its amazing, you pay for it.

In a supposedly free mature liberal democracy nobody should have to pay for a service I dont wish to use............to be criminalised for not paying for it is nothing short of scandalous.

Cunning Fergus here illustrates the problem the bbc will always have. A section of people on the right will always be ideologically opposed to the corporation and they tend to be the ones who make the most noise.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's something the Tories can't get their hands on (although Boris wants that changed) so it's great. They've made some f*** ups recently but are open to it and listen to public opinion. I wouldn't change it at all (apart from Shearer, 'Lawro' and 'Brighty' obviously).

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The BBC is absolutely amazing, I often settle down of an afternoon/evening and watch Doctors, Eastbenders, The One Show, Holby Shitty, Homes Under the Spammer, Cash in the Attic, centuries old repeats of Have I Got News for You or Never Mind the Buzzcocks, John Bishop's Britain, Saturday Kitchen, Bargain Hunt, The National Lottery Draw, Escape to the Country, Flog It, local news that is for Hampshire, Dorset, Berkshire and the Thames Valley Corridor and nothing at all about Sussex where I actually live - I love hearing about how a ward at a Bournemouth Hospital has had a new lick of paint.

Could you really ask for more for your money NSC? I mean COULD YOU?!

Such a childish argument. There is so much on the bbc that there is bound to be stuff you personally don't like. But at the same time asThe one show is on, the bbc is providing you with three other tv channels all it's radio staions plus its website and countless hours available on i-player.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Such a childish argument. There is so much on the bbc that there is bound to be stuff you personally don't like. But at the same time asThe one show is on, the bbc is providing you with three other tv channels all it's radio staions plus its website and countless hours available on i-player.

Agreed - BBC4 is a fantastic channel. BBC3 has a lot of great programming too. BBC6 music kicks all other radio stations into touch - fantastic, eclectic play list.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Agree. Widely recognized as the best at what they do. Unfortunately, the politicians are reigning them in as the current incumbents perceive them as lefties and as they don't like them they will strangle them financially.

The BBC should be strangled financially as it is a nest of silver spoon in the mouth, Public School educated Guardianistas with a pro-EU, pro-Green, leftist agenda. It won't be reigned in though, no politician would dare do that.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The BBC is indeed brilliant.

Though that Line of Duty the other night was fecking awful

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cunning Fergus here illustrates the problem the bbc will always have. A section of people on the right will always be ideologically opposed to the corporation and they tend to be the ones who make the most noise.

Knowing [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] as I do, he sits a few steps away from me here in Bristol, I know he despises the erosion of Britishness that has and is taking place.

There's little more British than the Beeb.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
The BBC should be strangled financially as it is a nest of silver spoon in the mouth, Public School educated Guardianistas with a pro-EU, pro-Green, leftist agenda. It won't be reigned in though, no politician would dare do that.

How many "silver spoon in the mouth, Public School educated Guardianistas" are there in the BBC, and what are their names?

Last edited:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Reigned in by the silver spoon, public school educated, pro-rich but f*** the poor, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours, corrupt, lying, thieving, press-colliding conservative government?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Put Radio 5 on FM!! Then it would all be OK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its a world leader in many areas, the world service, sport, documentary programming, childrens tv, foreign programming. Its brilliant.

But I genuinely believe their is a left wing bias in some areas of domestic political reporting and it is said by many. The director general is a died in the wool labour supporter. Nothing wrong with that, but only as long as it leads to complete impartiality in political programming, which I am not so sure it ALWAYS does.

Paxman is a legend, Andrew Neil is great and fair and having portillo and Johnson brings interesting perspectives and balance. I hate political bias or weighting in any form from any media outlet. and thus i read the independent

And isnt Nick Robinson, head of politics, a Tory?

I agree with the rest of what you are saying though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The BBC is amazing. Since moving abroad, I've realised the British achievements I'm most proud of are the BBC and the NHS. Moving abroad really makes you look at your own country in a new light.

Yup. I second that. There are a lot of things that people take for granted living in the UK, that you only realise are not the norm when you live abroad. The BBC is definitely one of them.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] nice to see some BBC love on here. It can be very easy to criticise a body like the Beeb but it is an absolute national treasure and in many ways it's the envy of the world. It plays no small part in allowing free press throughout Europe and is highly regarded throughout.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I find the BBC excellent in most areas. The only area i have a big problem with is the entertainment arm of the BBC, it is a shambles. They paid J. Vaughan £1m, D Mccall £1m and D Jolly £1m. Any organisation sanctioning these contracts needs a review. Added to that they have also made many of the worst series in the history of TV, as well as a few of the best.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I would far rather the BBC represented this country Internationally than either the incumbent Royal family or the wannabee Beckhams. Sure I get pissed off by the huge piles of cash handed over to second rate chat show hosts and variety show presenters, but the overall package has such depth and breadth. Witness the bizarre meeting between Dave lee Travis and Aung San Suu Kyi, thanks to an obscure slot on the World Service. Surely one of the main reasons this country continues to punch above its weight on the global stage.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The trouble with all the cynics is that they fail to appreciate that the the BBC probably set a benchmark. Sky news has, I believe, won awards but is it possible to consider that their standards have been set by the standard of their competition. Also, what is the standard of childrens television like on Sky? If you have kids, you will appreciate the quality of the early years programming as opposed to endless american cartoons or the self promotion of the Disney channel.

As for the criticism of local news, what do you expect. Would you be happier hearing about a new lick of paint at the Royal Alex rather than a ward in Bournemouth. What difference to you life would that make. It's also clear that local news on ITV is equally as droll. What local news do you get on Sky?

The BBC isn't perfect but we would be in a far worse situation if we didn't have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here