Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't the BBC just completely amazing?

There's that incredible breadth of television stuff they do where, in many areas, they still lead the world. There's the website thingummy which, occasional shonky new designs aside, is still the first place many go to for so many things. And then iPlayer - how many terabytes of data must they be serving hour after hour every day? Lots, and it never misses a beat.

So what's with all the kicking the BBC has taken of late? Am I missing something?

Have the money you already take, in fact have some more if you want - just keep on doing what you do. Please.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree. Widely recognized as the best at what they do. Unfortunately, the politicians are reigning them in as the current incumbents perceive them as lefties and as they don't like them they will strangle them financially.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wish the BBC would open up its archives to the public that have already paid for it via the license fee.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If I could only have one telly channel, I'd pick bbc4, even though Adrian Chiles isn't on it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
its a world leader in many areas, the world service, sport, documentary programming, childrens tv, foreign programming. Its brilliant.

But I genuinely believe their is a left wing bias in some areas of domestic political reporting and it is said by many. The director general is a died in the wool labour supporter. Nothing wrong with that, but only as long as it leads to complete impartiality in political programming, which I am not so sure it ALWAYS does.

Paxman is a legend, Andrew Neil is great and fair and having portillo and Johnson brings interesting perspectives and balance. I hate political bias or weighting in any form from any media outlet. and thus i read the independent

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
i like the new web design...wish they'd bring back 606 though...that was funny at times!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The BBC doesn't have a left wing bias. It's just that being fair and impartial comes across as left wing - due to right wing being so often unfair and biased.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Apart from Murdoch lickspittles,Murdoch owned media companies,the Murdochs themselves,and those on contracts at TalkSport,who else actively slags off the BBC?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I wish the BBC would open up its archives to the public that have already paid for it via the license fee.

and put it online. That would be incredible. I don't think I'd ever go out again.

And yes, the BBC is brilliant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes it is rather wonderful isnt it. its alwasy been popular to knock the beeb though especially on the right. i think there is a slight left bias, but then i think that goes for most media, theatre and creatives, and certainly not enough to warrant the hostility from some.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The BEEB is bloody BRILLIANT. OK TV content is being scaled back, but decent radio choices, brilliant websites, and still a good amount of decent TV content.

Love it. Did some work for them once, and there certainly is an archive online, but the bandwidth to open that up, is what is cost prohibitive.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

There's that incredible breadth of television stuff they do where, in many areas, they still lead the world. There's the website thingummy which, occasional shonky new designs aside, is still the first place many go to for so many things. And then iPlayer - how many terabytes of data must they be serving hour after hour every day? Lots, and it never misses a beat.

So what's with all the kicking the BBC has taken of late? Am I missing something?

Have the money you already take, in fact have some more if you want - just keep on doing what you do. Please.

What's up Bozza, you been on the Pimms again or has Apple bought the Beeb ?

Undoubtedly they still do Nature/Science programs absolutely superbly, second to none in that field I would think. Unfortunately, there is never anything on BBC1 I ever want to watch - For me the likes of Eastenders, reality shows are the lowest of the low. BBC2 fairs a little better wtih QI and WImbledon for 2 weeks in June, but not must better. Don't get me started on the BBC Sport website !!!

I guess I wouldn't do without it, and don't gripe about paying the license fee, but 99.9% of my viewing is done off the 4 terrestrials (I don't even bother looking at the listings for ITV, I know there won't be anything for me).

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
its an awesome thing the BBC. It's one of the finest things about our nation, something to be completely proud of. The value for money it provides us is awesome.

I don't mind the occasional criticism of it, it should always try and be better. But those that actually have it in for the BBC, that think it's somehow dangerous and should be taken apart - these people are idiots of the highest order.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
The BBC is amazing. Since moving abroad, I've realised the British achievements I'm most proud of are the BBC and the NHS. Moving abroad really makes you look at your own country in a new light.

Both are constantly under attack from the right, as the vested interests which dominate this country would rather we paid much, much more for far worse services provided by their equally-loaded mates. The British people's inability to see past the agendas of right-wing newspaper proprietors, their political allies, and (in turn) their wealthy backers is, conversely, the thing about Britain I'm least proud of.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

With an annual budget in the region of £4bn (which is twice that of SKY) I would expect it to be amazing but then it does come at a cost.

I say in the region of £4bn because this "Corporation" has spent untold money in legal fees trying to prevent the National Audit Office opening up its books, and they only admitted in Jan this year (I think) to receiving grants (of over £3m) from the EU (or British Taxpayers by proxy.

This may all sound like I am hiding behind the grassy knoll but even the Director General said last year that the BBC had issues presenting some areas of the news impartially......in fact he said "there are some areas (of our output), immigration, business and Europe, where the BBC has historically been rather weak and rather nervous about letting that entire debate happen.’

Yes we know............another apology.

You think its amazing, you pay for it.

In a supposedly free mature liberal democracy nobody should have to pay for a service I dont wish to use............to be criminalised for not paying for it is nothing short of scandalous.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The BBC is absolutely amazing, I often settle down of an afternoon/evening and watch Doctors, Eastbenders, The One Show, Holby Shitty, Homes Under the Spammer, Cash in the Attic, centuries old repeats of Have I Got News for You or Never Mind the Buzzcocks, John Bishop's Britain, Saturday Kitchen, Bargain Hunt, The National Lottery Draw, Escape to the Country, Flog It, local news that is for Hampshire, Dorset, Berkshire and the Thames Valley Corridor and nothing at all about Sussex where I actually live - I love hearing about how a ward at a Bournemouth Hospital has had a new lick of paint.

Could you really ask for more for your money NSC? I mean COULD YOU?!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The BBC is absolutely amazing, I often settle down of an afternoon/evening and watch Doctors, Eastbenders, The One Show, Holby Shitty, Homes Under the Spammer, Cash in the Attic, centuries old repeats of Have I Got News for You or Never Mind the Buzzcocks, John Bishop's Britain, Saturday Kitchen, Bargain Hunt, The National Lottery Draw, Escape to the Country, Flog It, local news that is for Hampshire, Dorset, Berkshire and the Thames Valley Corridor and nothing at all about Sussex where I actually live - I love hearing about how a ward at a Bournemouth Hospital has had a new lick of paint.

Could you really ask for more for your money NSC? I mean COULD YOU?!

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here