Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC said that we paid a 5 figure loan fee for giftens loan

Bigtk

Nov 20, 2005
The BBC said that we paid a 5 figure loan fee for giftens loan. Damn bad maths

:ohmy:

If this is true - what a waste of £100,000 . We only have him till the end of the season:

From the BBC:

Brighton bring in Noel-Williams

Noel-Williams has been at Burnley less than a season
Brighton have signed Burnley striker Gifton Noel-Williams on loan.
The Seagulls, who are trying to avoid relegation, have paid a five-figure loan fee to sign Noel-Williams, 26, until the end of the season.

Brighton manager Mark McGhee told the Seagulls website: "We're not only giving him the opportunity to help us out of a hole.

"We're also giving him the opportunity to be here in the longer term, so there is something in it for both of us."

Noel-Williams joined Burnley from Stoke on a two-year deal last summer.

The challenge is half the reason I came down here

Gifton Noel-Williams
He started out at Watford, where he scored 41 goals in 193 appearances, before moving to the Britannia Stadium on a free transfer in June 2003.

However, he is relishing the challenge of helping Brighton avoid relegation.

"The challenge is half the reason I came down here," Noel-Williams told BBC Southern Counties Radio.

"My season hasn't gone as well as I'd have liked. This is a chance for me to end on a high and Brighton to stay up.

"When I played against Brighton at Burnley I was impressed with the team, the passing and the movement.

"If they go out with that attitude, they can get out of this situation."

EDIT: Dammit i got my maths wrong - 5 figures is 10,000 to 99,000

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
since when has 100,000 been 5 five figures. It also means that Leeds did not get him as it is well known that they wanted him but could not agree terms.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Bigtk said:
:ohmy:

If this is true - what a waste of 100,000 +. We only have him till the end of the season:

From the BBC:

Brighton bring in Noel-Williams

Noel-Williams has been at Burnley less than a season
Brighton have signed Burnley striker Gifton Noel-Williams on loan.
The Seagulls, who are trying to avoid relegation, have paid a five-figure loan fee to sign Noel-Williams, 26, until the end of the season.

Brighton manager Mark McGhee told the Seagulls website: "We're not only giving him the opportunity to help us out of a hole.

"We're also giving him the opportunity to be here in the longer term, so there is something in it for both of us."

Noel-Williams joined Burnley from Stoke on a two-year deal last summer.

The challenge is half the reason I came down here

Gifton Noel-Williams
He started out at Watford, where he scored 41 goals in 193 appearances, before moving to the Britannia Stadium on a free transfer in June 2003.

However, he is relishing the challenge of helping Brighton avoid relegation.

"The challenge is half the reason I came down here," Noel-Williams told BBC Southern Counties Radio.

"My season hasn't gone as well as I'd have liked. This is a chance for me to end on a high and Brighton to stay up.

"When I played against Brighton at Burnley I was impressed with the team, the passing and the movement.

"If they go out with that attitude, they can get out of this situation."

Is 100,000 not a 6 figure sum?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I suppose it was the last chance of staying up. I can understand why Leeds and Millwall decided to give him a miss at that price.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
The gate was up by about 600 on Preston and some of that figuere probably attributable to his arrival.

It would only take 425 extra adults at £23.50 to pay a 10 grand transfer fee, so it could just have have been a bit of good business, given that he also did what it said on the can (unlike most of the other forwards we've endured this season) at the first time of asking and there's still 3 home games to go.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bigtk
You're not in charge of turnstile reciepts at Chesterfield are you?

:jester:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
He's here to the end of the season (30-Apr) which will be 6 weeks in total. So for £25k that is just over £4k per week.

I've no idea what the going rate is for a player - perhaps Tank could advise (without giving away details of course) whether he thinks £4k per week is high, low or average for someone of Gifton's age/ability etc.

Bromley shrimp said:
The £4k seems about right, but I was thinking it was the fee (£25k) to Burnley + his weekly wage on top.
Can anybody clarify the situation?

That was my understanding - good bit of business by both Burnley and us I reckon. I can't believe people are saying we shouldn't have spent the money, he is different class to what we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here