• No

Votes: 63 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You have not answered my question as to whether the slaughter will actually achieve the desired results.

it did'nt in Scotland
I am a veggie and would be happy to drink UHT milk if I had to ........the Dairy farmers might get a little more support if they did not export Veal

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do you have a better solution? Until they come up with a vaccination, there is no other solution available.

I've not managed to yet read all the posts but felt I had to correct this statement. There IS a vaccination for cattle. The answer is simple, make it law that all cattle are vaccinated and make the cost part of the production cost that is passed on to consumers.

EDIT - clicked before finishing ! My Uncle is a farmer with quite a few cattle and he supports the vaccination method and not the slaughter of badgers.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Badgers make some of the very best paint brushes available.
Well, obviously the badgers don't actually make them themselves, I mean they don't magnufacture them they just give up their hair to create the finest bristle brushes............... I'm not sure that they are keen on it though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've not managed to yet read all the posts but felt I had to correct this statement. There IS a vaccination for cattle. The answer is simple, make it law that all cattle are vaccinated and make the cost part of the production cost that is passed on to consumers.

EDIT - clicked before finishing ! My Uncle is a farmer with quite a few cattle and he supports the vaccination method and not the slaughter of badgers.

Thanks. I had already posted a link to the vaccination programme because clive didn't believe me. I suspect the problem is costs and it's cheaper to shoot badgers rather than use vaccines.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

Spot on but because all cattle would then test positive for TB Nanny State won't allow it, it was the same with foot & mouth, they prefer mass slaughter.
As for some of the previous posts on this thread to say that farmers want to kill all animals that don't make them a profit is utter rubbish, some may be like that but most are not. Having grown up in the countryside I know a number of farmers who put a lot of effort into helping wild life, even if it costs them money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have nothing to add to this particular debate. I'm only posting so that US can complete his 'troll'* bingo card.

* = people who don't agree with his black and white opinion.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh - I should add that US has clearly not spent anytime on working farm what so ever !!!! As an aside, my Uncle has had more issues with the idiots from Alf then he has ever had from badgers, foxes, rats or any other animal that some would consider vermin.

To suggest that ALL farmers would kill anything that doesn't make them a profit is as stupid as stating all IFA's are money grabbing con artists who helped bring about this recession by getting people mortgages they couldn't possibly afford :cool:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have nothing to add to this particular debate. I'm only posting so that US can complete his 'troll'* bingo card.

* = people who don't agree with his black and white opinion.

Black and White........... I see what you did there!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm finding it incredibly hard to get hold of my badger hair shaving brushes. Hopefully this cull will help.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Of course it's not friggin right. Look at the science behind it, the research, the tests. They all show it could cOULD reduce the TB by 13% over 3 years (or something like that). What it does do is remove the possibility of badgers turning up in rich folks gardens, which is why the Tories are doing it. The Welsh government have thrown it out because they've listened to the experts.
Education, Health, Economy, Nature. All f***ed. Thanks. Pretty good going in so short a time in power.

Albumen,you do talk some s--t!

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I think people should leave the discussion of science to the experts. People want black and white answers but the scientific evidence for TB control is far from that. Something needs to be done now, and the vaccination idea is a long way off being a viable option at present.
Certainly don't think its a tory/rural thing - labour were certainly supporting the cull when they were in power and it would have gone ahead under their term if it hadn't been for all these legal holdups.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry if I offended Piltdown Man. Feelings are running high. It's been an interesting debate. We will see how this thing pans out but I think the " shooters " are going to come up against a shit load of opposition and saboteurs whilst they carry out their work.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Farmers are just about the biggest group of moaners going in this country, the only people worse are the fisherman and BHA fans.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It hasn't been an interesting debate. Everyone with any sense agrees that the cull will not have the desired effect (i.e. reducing the spread of bovine TB) and is therefore useless.

An interesting debate would be regarding the motives of the govt plan, given the facts. Or debating attitudes to farmers - that would be interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here