Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Back from Hartlepool' Thread

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Anyone else home yet? ???

Nice place, shame about the result but I suppose it was a much needed reminder that we are only in November, hopefully now some of our fans will be back to reality.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
What's wrong with it? A lot of local history, enjoyed walking round the harbour, I even ate lunch on a boat! The football was probably the worst thing about the day!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Player ratings?

Ankergren 4 - Flapped at everything, at fault for the first goal, shite distribution
Calderon 6 - Did ok
El Abd 5 - Average, not good, not bad
Greer 5 - As above
Painter 4 - Seemed off pace
Bridcutt 5 - Average whilst he was on, harsh to be sent off imo but will wait til I've seen the replay
Dicker 7 - Our MOM although really the best of a bad bunch, led the charge in the 15 minutes or so that we dominated after half time and deserved his goal
Kishishev 5 - Bit concerning that he seemed knackered after having the week off v Woking
Bennett 6 - Being generous, ran around a lot and got to the byline a couple of times, can't fault the committment I suppose
Murray 5 - Won a fair bit in the air but Hartlepool had him sussed
Barnes 4 - Very wasteful and always seems to get involved in aggro needlessly

Not a great deal to say about the subs other than when LuaLua came on he certainly changed the game, before Hartlepool proceeded to lump seven shades of shit out of him til he was taken off on a stretcher.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We were never in the races, they were first to every tackle, header and loose ball.

The team looked like they had that break, and didnt get going apart from a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half.

Barnes missed an easy chance, Dicker should have scored before he did too. Murray didnt have a real chance on goal.

Kishishev looked knackered after 20 minutes, the rest of the midfield never got in the game aprt from Dicker, who was the one creative spark until LuaLua came on. Dicker gave the ball away loads and ran in to trouble lots of times, but he still looked like our best player. Greer did well too.

LuaLua has it tough, every ball was pinged at him ahead height, he had to control it awkwardly everytime he got it, usually being cleaned out by their defenders. To me, it looked like it was his fault he got injured, as he lost control of the ball whilst dribbling, and dived into a challenge to win it back

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How did you get home to Burgess Hill so quick? Did you fly?

It's not that quick! I drove back, accidentally via the A1 instead of the M1 or A1(M), stopping at services for dinner & fuel, and via Hove to drop Brett off, and even I've just got back to Burgess Hill.

Most of the ratinga above seem fair, bit harsh on Ankergren though, but I suppose not being Michel is usually worth a 2 mark deduction for some.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
this photo I took at Victoria Park sums up about how effective our players were today

76064_10150320185025532_641880531_15729474_4851829_n.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We pounced around for the first ten minutes playing our lovely passing game, and no doubt thinking we were on the way to repeating the Charlton and Peterborough walk overs. Then Harepool got the measure of us, and we couldn't respond, bar a 10 min spell around our goal (which was class, by the way). Hopefully we will now stop believing our own hype and start taking teams like Hartlepool seriously.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
They were much keener than us. Hungrier, quicker, used the wings better, won every header and most of the tackles. Pretty piss poor and lacklustre display by us. Only Dicker came out with a small amount of credit (and briefly Lua Lua). Long way to go for a team not really arsed.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
We settled into the game very well and I fell into the complacent trap of believing we were going to roll them over with ease. For some reason we played our usual passing style upto the attacking 3rd of the pitch where we then tried for the glory pass which never came off...Had we played more simple balls up in and around their box we probably would have unlocked them more easily.

One of the biggest crimes was not using Calderon enough in the first half...There were times when he was out on the right hand side in loads of space. So much so that often the closest person to him was in the crowd...I am not joking.

I thought we were fairly comfortable until they scored which put their tails up and started to cause us problems. Then when we equalised I could only see us going on and winning. But in truth we never really got going today and I just hope it serves as a bit of a wake-up call. The Rovers game now is pretty important because if we lose then our lead will be cut further and "wheels have come off" statements will start being used...Also, the proceeding 3 League games are all tricky affairs.

But I hope we can learn from this and go on another unbeaten streak.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Feb 14, 2010
We pounced around for the first ten minutes playing our lovely passing game, and no doubt thinking we were on the way to repeating the Charlton and Peterborough walk overs. Then Harepool got the measure of us, and we couldn't respond, bar a 10 min spell around our goal (which was class, by the way). Hopefully we will now stop believing our own hype and start taking teams like Hartlepool seriously.

Is his the same "ponced around" (ie pass it to the bloke in the same shirt instead of aimlessly hoofing it english style) that has us top of the league, Barca, Real Madrid, Spain and Brazil the best teams in the world. If so then they can keep poncing around. Fooking spare us from these Graham Taylor/Micky Adams fan clubs that want hoofing, "running the channels" and the worst of all " a good engine" thrown in with some poxy practical joke in training to show they are "one of the lads". No mate lets have a manager with a brain, let the ball do the work and be top of the league eh?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Is his the same "ponced around" (ie pass it to the bloke in the same shirt instead of aimlessly hoofing it english style) that has us top of the league, Barca, Real Madrid, Spain and Brazil the best teams in the world. If so then they can keep poncing around. Fooking spare us from these Graham Taylor/Micky Adams fan clubs that want hoofing, "running the channels" and the worst of all " a good engine" thrown in with some poxy practical joke in training to show they are "one of the lads". No mate lets have a manager with a brain, let the ball do the work and be top of the league eh?

What I meant was, we didn't take them seriously. We thought we could just pass them off the pitch and not have to battle. Gus admitted as much in his quote - "they changed their game" - too right they did, whilst we didn't. I'm a complete fan of the Poyet style, but you also have to show some mettle when playing teams like Hartlepool.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
What I meant was, we didn't take them seriously. We thought we could just pass them off the pitch and not have to battle. Gus admitted as much in his quote - "they changed their game" - too right they did, whilst we didn't. I'm a complete fan of the Poyet style, but you also have to show some mettle when playing teams like Hartlepool.

Lak of mettle sums it up nicely.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought some of the players had started believing the 'We're the Arsenal of League 1' hype and thought they could TippyTap 'Pool into submission by knocking around in our half until they gave up.

Like Wenger's boys at times we don't like it when a bunch of tough but not as dumb as we think northerners get stuck in and take their chances.

We weren't dreadful, but can have no complaints about the result.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were not at the races at all, dire display

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here