Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus is unionised at last

A wonderful victory for the Argus journalists, who have now once again won the right to be represented by a union after many years of derecognising union-bashing by the Newsquest/Gannett management and their predecessors as owners, Westminster Press.

The bargaining unit was eventually settled at 69 Argus journalists and the result? For NUJ representation 100 per cent, against 0 per cent.

Let's have a quick recount on that, just in case, like.

Ah yes. For NUJ representation 100 per cent, against 0 per cent.

Now it would be nice to read about this in the Argus tomorrow, but shan't hold my breath on that.

I can't promise anyone on here that Argus journalism will improve overnight because of this, but in the medium- to long-term I think it will, if the union is successful in negotiating better rates of pay and therefore attracting more talented people into local journalism.

A few years ago, and for a very brief period of time, I was the FoC at the Argus when union representation was at its lowest ebb, I sometimes fear that those two facts might not have been unconnected.

But my successors have done a stunning job to turn that situation around, taking advantage of some of the more decent legislation that New Labour has passed through Parliament. Congratulations from me to the Argus NUJ chapel :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great news; yet another union agreement to celebrate.
The management at Newsquest/Gannett have been a particularlty nasty set of union-bashers so let's hope things pick up there.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Thirded. My mates who work for the Westmorland Gazette (also owned by Gannett-Newsquest) have just had a terrible time trying to get a decent pay rise. But it has worked, eventually.

Shall we form an NUJ NSC branch?

*displays card*

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

Shall we form an NUJ NSC branch?

*displays card*

I was thinking that this morning - just how many NUJ members are there on NSC? I don't know about branch, but we must have more members than some chapels.

According to Rule 12(a) (A chapel of the union shall be formed wherever there are three or more members in an office or organisation), we could have a case for forming a chapel. We'd have to argue that the NSC was an organisation, it would be an interesting challenge for the union.:)

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Gwylan said:
According to Rule 12(a) (A chapel of the union shall be formed wherever there are three or more members in an office or organisation), we could have a case for forming a chapel.

Yes, but can I be in more than one chapel? And if we did set up a NSC chapel, would we be able to protest to Bozza about having better rights? ;-()

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Can I join if it's done on a Venn diagram basis?

I.e.

Albions fans ---- NSC posters ---- Journalists

Must be able to sneak in the middle from the right wing (diagrammatrically, not politically - nor soccerball-ly, if my recent viewing examples of Darren Anderton or Stephane Dalmat are anything to go by.)

Oh, okay, I seem to have developed a soft-ish spot for the Stripes. . . If that'll close the deal.

So who'll be mother . . . / father of the chapel?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here