Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Archer Era

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I am writing an article on the whole Archer and Goldstone saga for an online magazine and I need NSC's help in giving me as close to balanced facts as possible.

I was 10 in 1997 just to give people an idea of my level of knowledge on the whole situation. What I do know has been gleaned from NSC really.

Without starting a binfest, I just want a brief summary of the Archer era including the lead up to the sale of the Goldstone and the sale itself.

Many thanks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The best thing you could do is get hold of a copy of Build a Bonfire. That'll give you absolutely everything you need to know.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Build A Bonfire gives a concise and historically accurate version of events.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
RUDDY hell give the guy a break.

Build a Bonfire is a cracking read, but if you are on a deadline, not something you can read and summarise particularly quickly.

Surely someone on here must be able to help?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
So you must have read it then?

I have read it ONCE. That wasn't enough to adequately digest all the facts and get them in the right order. I therefore thought that someone on here would be able to give me a brief run down of the important events and facts.

Apologies for not being able to inhale information after just one read.

D

Deleted User X18H

Once upon a time in 1993 a man called Archer bought into a football club for £56.25 year or two later after employing a twat of a M.D Archer changed the articles of association and brokered a deal to sell the Goldstone Ground the clubs home for £7m rendering them homeless it is thought Archer and his fellow directors sought to profit personally from the deal. Fan power ensured the original clause was reinstated and then a shining Knight took over the club and looked to build a new home which is almost ready. And we all may live happily ever after.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Once upon a time in 1993 a man called Archer bought into a football club for £56.25 year or two later after employing a twat of a M.D Archer changed the articles of association and brokered a deal to sell the Goldstone Ground the clubs home for £7m rendering them homeless it is thought Archer and his fellow directors sought to profit personally from the deal. Fan power ensured the original clause was reinstated and then a shining Knight took over the club and looked to build a new home which is almost ready. And we all may live happily ever after.

Thanks for this. The exact amount Archer paid for the club was something I was specifically after.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bill Archer bought shares for £56.25 knowing that if he killed the club and we went out of existence he could retain the profit after the assets were realised (after changing the club's constitution). To pay off the debts he sold the Goldstone for £7M which was later sold on for £23M. He and David Bellotti became the most hated people ever to set foot in Sussex since Maggie Thatcher's last appearance at the Tory Annual Conference.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Bill Archer bought shares for £56.25 knowing that if he killed the club and we went out of existence he could retain the profit after the assets were realised (after changing the club's constitution). To pay off the debts he sold the Goldstone for £7M which was later sold on for £23M. He and David Bellotti became the most hated people ever to set foot in Sussex since Maggie Thatcher's last appearance at the Tory Annual Conference.

So he sold the ground for £7m and it was then sold for £23m. Did he make any money when it was sold for £23m. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I need NSC's help in giving me as close to balanced facts as possible.

NSC: The first place I go when I want a balanced and well constructed summary of the facts.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I would say so yes.....

So did Archer have an interest in the company that bought the Goldstone or are you suggesting he got some sort of kick-back when they sold the land on?

If the above sounds like I'm accusing you of accusing him, it isn't meant to :)
The bloke was a prize cock.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
So did Archer have an interest in the company that bought the Goldstone or are you suggesting he got some sort of kick-back when they sold the land on?

If the above sounds like I'm accusing you of accusing him, it isn't meant to :)
The bloke was a prize cock.

7 Million into 23 million doesn't really work does it? Plus he had links with property developers due to the expansion of his Focus DIY chain.
So go figure!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here