Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 30 July (Fight for Falmer Special)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This week on The Albion Roar, we're doing something a little bit different.

For a start, we're on for TWO HOURS. Secondly, we'll be playing music (no 'Teenage Kicks' - guaranteed). Thirdly we're on at 8am. Yup, we're taking over the Breakfast Show this week. Tune in this Saturday from 8am-10am on 97.2FM in Brighton & Hove (and Lancing I noticed the other day) or at RadioReverb | Community Radio | Brighton,UK: Home The show will be available as a podcast on iTunes later, though the music will be taken out.

Among the guests joining myself and Ady in the studio during these two hours will be John Baine (Attila the Stockbroker), Paul Whelch (Chairman of Seagulls Over London - among other titles), hopefully Michel Kuipers (depending if Steve Evans drags his team in for a warm-down on Saturday morning), Andy Bass and plenty more.

We'll be talking about the day many thought might never come - the official opening of the Community Stadium near Falmer. We'll be looking back over these past 16 years, since the day the sale of The Goldstone Ground was announced, through the Outside Bog in Kent Years, home to The Theatre of Trees, and the seemingly perpetual fight for Falmer.

To that end, we'd like to read out some of your memories of those times - not so much the onfield championships and relegations, more about your hopes, frustrations, dreams, agonies and celebrations that you felt at each of the myriad of watershed moments since the first planning application went in in 2001.

Perhaps you'd like to talk about Dick, Martin, Derek, Tony et al. Maybe vent your feelings about Norman Baker, Ann de Vecchi, Falmer Parish Council (keep it clean and non-litigious, please)? What do/did you think of John Prescott or Hazel Blears...? How about a big shout for Paul Samrah, Tim Carder, Attila, Liz Costa etc.?

Or maybe, as we come to a close on one almighty chapter of our history, you just would like to turn round, look back over your shoulder one last time and say 'thank f*** that's over.'

Let us know.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. Three men (amongst others) we know dreamt in the daytime for us. Thank you Dick Knight, thank you Martin Perry and thank you Tony Bloom.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Special mention to those at Gillingham who got us back to Withdean, including ROSM of this parish. Also Scars and Stripes flogging a fanzine to the few, including Bozza, Papa, and others also from this parish.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For those who want a reprise of 'Seagulls Over The Rainbow' from Brighton Til I Die, you can hear it on tomorrow's show. :thumbsup:

Excellent will Brailsford be performing, or was it recorded at the Theatre this week? I thought it was a brilliant tune at the theatre last night.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Should be a good listen. Hopefully have the feel of old school early morning cup final coverage. I think the Seagulls over The Rainbow is reason enough to tune in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here