Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 25 Aug

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No pre-amble, no chit-chat - straight into talking to Paul Barber, the Albion's Chief Executive.

A variety of subjects were touched on. Paul talks about his career, background and experience to date. We talked about his time at the FA, at Spurs and at Vancouver. His remit, intentions and tasks as set by Tony Bloom, plus how intends to go about achieving them were also covered, as was the nature and size of the price increases - which we finally got out of him were decided at the beginning of this year, way before he arrived.

If anyone wanted a Paxman-esque 'grilling', there wasn't one.

And for questions that were asked that we didn't talk about on air, but did afterwards - his favourite Brighton players are Peter Ward and Mark Lawrenson. Plus we talked about the Kronenbourg thing and the Pie & Pint thing.

It's all on this Saturday at 12noon on Radio Reverb 97.2FM or online at RadioReverb | Community Radio | Brighton,UK: Home. You can always listen later at Albion Roar | Unofficial Brighton Hove Albion Football Club Radio Show or via iTunes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So that's [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] comfortably proved wrong then, straight from the horse's mouth.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So that's [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] comfortably proved wrong then, straight from the horse's mouth.

Oh wow. So the new CEO in his first week didn't negotiate the Chelsea game (giving them whole WSU and the pricing) and then start putting price rises in place?

Must have been Chapman and Bloom then. #ChapmanBloomOut

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh yeah - one more thing from off-air, we were talking about the club generally and I asked if we'd broken even or made a profit.

I think their (Paul Barber and Paul Camillin's) immediate reaction was one of me having asked a very naive question. "You don't make a profit in the Championship..." was Barber's exact reply. That probably also answers the question as to how much Tony Bloom has been re-paid for his stadium investment so far.

It's not a statement I take literally - I'm sure someone, somewhere can pay peanuts for their staff and players - it's more a statement of 'if you have ambition to go up, be prepared to pay for it first'.

Oh yeah - one more thing from off-air, we were talking about the club generally and I asked if we'd broken even or made a profit.

I think their (Paul Barber and Paul Camillin's) immediate reaction was one of me having asked a very naive question. "You don't make a profit in the Championship..." was Barber's exact reply. That probably also answers the question as to how much Tony Bloom has been re-paid for his stadium investment so far.

It's not a statement I take literally - I'm sure someone, somewhere can pay peanuts for their staff and players - it's more a statement of 'if you have ambition to go up, be prepared to pay for it first'.

Thanks for asking Al, am a bit surprised the question was thought naive; TB said when he became the majority shareholder and chairman that he wanted us to be operationally self financing at Falmer - I think it was in an interview with Nick Szczepanik in May 2009.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for asking Al, am a bit surprised the question was thought naive;

They never said it was naive; that was my take on it. I received a sort of short snort, along the lines of 'do wot...?'

TB said when he became the majority shareholder and chairman that he wanted us to be operationally self financing at Falmer - I think it was in an interview with Nick Szczepanik in May 2009.

Indeed he does.

But that sort of thing is never going to be achieved in the first year.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

What was his previous diatribe? He went on about something for weeks if not months, pissing just about everybody off, which is probably why he does it, is that what you call trolling, or fishing? Either way, I guess he will either keep schtum on this now, or carry on as if he knows something different. I wonder what/who his next unsubstantiated vendetta will be against.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That was a cracking show.

Interesting parallels between us at withers and moving to amex and what happened at vancouver. Loved the terms cottage industry which of course at withers it was.

Looking forward to an adidas ORIGINALS kit with sponsorship from KFC.

This guy means business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here