Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar - 18th August

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The Roar rides the airwaves once more tomorrow at 12 on radio reverb 97.2fm & www.radioreverb.com

The new season is finally upon us & joining me as we look forward to the next 9 months and are Phil Shelley from oldfootballshirts.com & Ed Bassford.

Also an early heads up about next weeks show.

We have Paul Barber coming in so if you have any questions that you would like us to ask him please contact us us here, on twitter or on our facebook page

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can he discuss what part he has played in customer operations so far.

I.e did he negotiate the Chelsea match? Was he part of the catering price rises?

Should stop some of the moaners on here.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Please ask Mr Barber about Prices hikes.
Many have said it will make them think twice before staying longer after the game or get in earlier. This initiative was a huge success last season, as fans felt it was an acceptable option instead if the pub. Now the Amex is bordering on expensive for food and drink. This inititive is in danger of disappearing. It would be very sad to see fans stop doing this and cause a further strain on the transport system.
Does Mr Barber beilieve the initiative will continue even with the price hikes?
Did Mr Barber have any input into these prices?
How much does the club get?
If Azures poor service continues, will BHAFC look at changing them?

Ask Mr Barber about ticket prices and if he thinks this is fair? With seats as expensive as £28-£37 (plus booking fee) for a match ticket, sales have not gone as well as last year. Isn't it better to reduce prices by £3-4 and get more bums on seats?
If we get to the Premier League, will current STH get a shock in the price rise?

Finally ask Mr Barber to confirm he will continue to listen to fans. Especially with regard to local products being on sale like Harvey's etc. We don't want to become a pukka pies and Heineken club!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Can he discuss what part he has played in customer operations so far.

I.e did he negotiate the Chelsea match? Was he part of the catering price rises?

Should stop some of the moaners on here.

Boring! Should also cause a few to switch off.

Get the new Cheif Exec on and give him a grilling for 15mins and communicate across feelings from the fans. It's our club not his. I wanna hear he's going to do things right, not just turn us into a said Leicester city type club that doesn't give a shit about its fans. Then go all nicely nicely for the rest of the show.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Boring! Should also cause a few to switch off.

Get the new Cheif Exec on and give him a grilling for 15mins and communicate across feelings from the fans. It's our club not his. I wanna hear he's going to do things right, not just turn us into a said Leicester city type club that doesn't give a shit about its fans. Then go all nicely nicely for the rest of the show.

Agreed. Don't waste this opportunity to ask the hard questions people actually want answers to.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I *still* don't get the beer prices moan. With a smartcard, its like £3.60-ish right? I was paying more than that a pint drinking in Worthing on a Tuesday night! Do the moaners actually go to other pubs other than Wetherspoons ?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I *still* don't get the beer prices moan. With a smartcard, its like £3.60-ish right? I was paying more than that a pint drinking in Worthing on a Tuesday night! Do the moaners actually go to other pubs other than Wetherspoons ?

Mate, yes but at the mobile pumps it's cash only. So you either join the ques at the kiosk and increase them, or you have to fork out £3.90 for Harvey's in a plastic cup. Also £4 for a warm bottle of fosters? Harvey's is £3.10 in my pub. We aren't drinking in town in a Friday night, it's in a football ground. Why are these things always a race to the top price? If prices go up next year to £4.20 a pint, are you gonna find some venue that charges the same or higher and quote that? It's bordering on expensive and means the arrive early and stay late initiative is in danger of disappearing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mate, yes but at the mobile pumps it's cash only. So you either join the ques at the kiosk and increase them, or you have to for out £3.90 for Harvey's in a plastic cup. Also £4 for a warm bottle of fosters? Harvey's is £3.10 in my pub. We aren't drinking in town in a Friday night, it's in a football ground. Why are these things always a race to the top price? If prices go up next year to £4.20 a pint, are you gonna find some venue that charges the same or higher and quote that? It's bordering in expensive and means the arrive early and stay late initiative is in danger of disappearing.

I'd compare the Amex, to a theatre, or the o2 or similar. Where beer is much more expensive than £3.60 a pint.

What should our pint prices be comparable to? Supermarket booze?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I'd compare the Amex, to a theatre, or the o2 or similar. Where beer is much more expensive than £3.60 a pint.

But in fairness you go there a only a couple of times a year. Not 23 times minimum. Even a small increase starts adding up through the season. I'm not as angry as some about the beer and programmes going up but I'd quite like to hear the reasoning behind it from the horse's mouth as it were.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When will ERNEST be a guest ?

If you could just mention the figure £538.20 to him that would be great.

This equates to 3 pints each per game for 2 people who will in future be drinking in Lewes before and after each game.

They'll still get the £179.40 for the ONE at half time, so it's not all bad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ask Mr Barber about ticket prices and if he thinks this is fair? With seats as expensive as £28-£37 (plus booking fee) for a match ticket, sales have not gone as well as last year. Isn't it better to reduce prices by £3-4 and get more bums on seats?

The new prices are certainly too high, but the second part isn't actually true, is it?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I want Student discount tickets to be available through either university Student Union. These can be available last minute in any unsold seats. Maybe in the week prior to the match so regular fans have had their chance first. Is this possible? Hugo p.s St Mary's used to do a £15 Student match ticket including a pint in Div 1 but I suppose they had a half full stadium at the time.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

What are you on mate? Supermarket booze, 50p per pint. Amex £3.90 hardly comparable is it?
Theatre? You have a season ticket at the theatre? you drink 5 pints and have pies and stuff 23 times a year? Nonsense.

f*** it, lets all pay £6 a pint and £2 a litre at the pumps.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What are you on mate? Supermarket booze, 50p per pint. Amex £3.90 hardly comparable is it?
Theatre? You have a season ticket at the theatre? you drink 5 pints and have pies and stuff 23 times a year? Nonsense.

f*** it, lets all pay £6 a pint and £2 a litre at the pumps.

I regularly pay £3.20-£3.60 a pint, in my locals (Worthing.) I go there more than my Amex. So I do not see £3.60 as being 'over the top.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here