Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion LOST £140,000 a week in the last season at Withdean

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Probably both.

When the tender went out for the pies, based on the national average, the Albion were expected to sell around 1,000 pies per match. They knew that there was a great deal of interest in the stadium, so the allowed for 1,500. The club is selling on average 8,500 pies per match - with a peak of 10,500.

Similarly, the club were expecting to sell around 4,000 pints of beer per match. They're averaging 14,000 pints.

That's as many are as sold at The Emirates for each match.

4000 pints per match seems awfully low - the emirates is capable of serving 31000 pints at half time!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Similarly, the club were expecting to sell around 4,000 pints of beer per match. They're averaging 14,000 pints.

That's as many are as sold at The Emirates for each match.

hardly fair on Emirates to make the comparison, they dont have Harveys :cheers:

but seriously, the beer and pies, combined with the tight train travel arrangements, makes the stadium concourse a pre-match destination. i wouldnt bother for plastic cup of shitty kronenburg, but friends and i make a point of getting to the stadium in plenty of time knowing a decent beer and a pie awaits us, rather than having another town then getting the last train that gets you in time for KO.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Well, of course. Notwithstanding the capital costs of the stadium, there are running costs.

Tony himself said on the excellent Albion Roar that he doesn't expect us to break even, 'but we will get somewhere close'. To get 'somewhere close' in your first season of your club being threee times the sizes it was - and with all the trials and tribulations that entails - is a STUNNING effort.

Agree completely - just wish people would keep their feet on the ground

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The £94.4m loan & £25m share capital (which includes several £m from Knight and others), is no problem to the club due to the circumstances of the loan.

Their Holdings accounts, in conjunction with the 2 subsidiary's give the full picture.

The loan is not interest-bearing, TB has made it plain that it's a loan for the long term, and he is personally adding to for the 2012/13 stadium expansion, and other works.
In other words all, de facto, capital.

The £29m of cumulative losses were generously and personnally met by Knight, Bloom & others in the period 1997 to 2011.
Many million of this was spent on architects, planning consultants, planning barristers and solicitors,
and also giving us a better squad than we otherwise would have from the tiny ground, leading to 4 promotion campaigns.

Group turnover was £7.1m
Payroll costs were £7.1m
Group loss was £7.2m, giving £7.2m of net other (than payroll) costs, which would include annual amortisation of tranfer fees spent of £0.8m.

In the year to 30.06.11, £2.5m was spent on Noone, Hoskins & Buckley.

The aim of the club seems to be TB to finance all capital projects, and club income in the Amex era to fund transfers, payroll & everything else.

Last edited:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
In the year to 30.06.12, £2.5m was spent on Noone, Hoskins & Buckley.

The aim of the club seems to be TB to finance all capital projects, and club income in the Amex era to fund transfers, payroll & everything else.

That's the gist. The bit above though - I can only assume that includes wages? Buckley was 1m, Hoskins 500k, and Noone was 300k upfront and I read on BBC on a report about Plymouth that we gave them a further 30k on promotion. So that comes up something like 700k short of that figure?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How many pies did you sell at the Withdean ?

You can't compare really. I'm not one for the half time food really, but it is miles away from anything available at Withdean or Selhurst park.

Simply the world has moved on and the expectations are much much higher. I took a vegeburger back on Saturday because I didn't think it was warm enough.

My expectations are higher. I won't be buying an expensive bottle of lager at your place when I get a pint pulled straight from the barrel in front of me.

.. and it's cheaper.

There are amazing stats regarding the non ticket purchases at the ground. We have one of the highest spends per fan in the country apparently.

I not surprised by the amount of pints being pulled, the concourse pre-match resembles the most popular pre-match pub at a Premiership ground. Drinking AT THE GROUND is the most sensible option and most people are doing it.

Especially, when your concourse has huge glass windows overlooking Brighton.

It's miles away from your experience at Selhurst park and miles away from the experience of most football fans pre-match, even in the Premier League.

Last edited:

Jan 12, 2012
You can't compare really. I'm not one for the half time food really, but it is miles away from anything available at Withdean or Selhurst park.

Simply the world has moved on and the expectations are much much higher. I took a vegeburger back on Saturday because I didn't think it was warm enough.

My expectations are higher. I won't be buying an expensive bottle of lager at your place when I get a pint pulled straight from the barrel in front of me.

.. and it's cheaper.

They are amazing stats regarding the non ticket purchases at the ground. We have one of the highest spends per fan in the country apparently.

I not surprised by the amount of pints being pulled, the concourse pre-match resembles the most popular pre-match pub at a Premiership ground. Drinking AT THE GROUND is the most sensible option and most people are doing it.

Especially, when your concourse has huge glass windows overlooking Brighton.

It's miles away from your experience at Selhurst park and miles away from the experience of most football fans pre-match, even in the Premier League.

I dont buy a pie and a pint at Selhurst !!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's the gist. The bit above though - I can only assume that includes wages? Buckley was 1m, Hoskins 500k, and Noone was 300k upfront and I read on BBC on a report about Plymouth that we gave them a further 30k on promotion. So that comes up something like 700k short of that figure?

Now corrected.
In 2011/12 (post 30th June 11 accounts), it was CMS, Harley, Vincelot, LuaLua & Vicente.

£2.5m was the signed 2010/11 accounts figure, rather tham media figures at the time of transfers.

Any ideas which other players signing 01.07.10 to 30.06.11 for a fee, make up the reest of £2.5m, other than Hoskins, Noone & Buckley?

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Suspect we should also add to that KLL, Vicentelot and Harley.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

These figures are only up to June last year - Wages from then on are not included in these figures

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here