Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion LOST £140,000 a week in the last season at Withdean

D

Deleted member 22389

Something for Palace fans to ponder is that if they ever get to the stage when their owners start building the new ground they will be in a very similar position to us for several years i.e. paying for two grounds while only getting income from one. Inevitably this has an impact on the cashflow, especially if you already have declining gates.

That's the drawback to building afresh rather than gradually upgrading an existing stadium, although in Palace's case the existing ground is beyond resuscitation unless they suddenly have a mysterious fire / insurance job, but then that would be more than a tad suspicious in Croydon.

Of course it also depends on how the funding for new stadium is structured, hopefully from a seperate pot to that for the playing staff. Wolves seem to have sacrificed their Premiership status because the owners got distracted by splashing their budget on a rebuild of the stadium (that was already pretty good). Seems a naive business model, only sweetened by the parachute payments. Arsenal managed to move from Highbury to The Emirates at huge financial expense but also at the cost of their transfer budget, but at least they maintained their Premiership status and now have a sound financial model because they have been very prudent (and their fans have had to be patient). They are probably the exception, hopefully The Albion will be in a similar position at some point.

That's the key for all supporters be patient and keep renewing their season tickets. The good thing about the Tony deal we don't have any interest to pay on the loan, correct me if I am wrong?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So each fan is spending five times as much on food and drink than the average fan? Are we eating and drinking that much more or paying that much more?

Probably both.

When the tender went out for the pies, based on the national average, the Albion were expected to sell around 1,000 pies per match. They knew that there was a great deal of interest in the stadium, so the allowed for 1,500. The club is selling on average 8,500 pies per match - with a peak of 10,500.

Similarly, the club were expecting to sell around 4,000 pints of beer per match. They're averaging 14,000 pints.

That's as many are as sold at The Emirates for each match.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The other benefit to having a shiny new stadium is it's easier to agree lucrative naming rights because corporate sponsors are more willing to be associated with the image.

They are not exactly tripping over themselves to be associated with Selhurst Park.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
What about the stadium expansion and training/ academy set up ?Wheres that money coming from, pie sales ?
Your only sustainable because of Bloom,end of.
Correct, we only sustainable because of Tony Bloom paying for the stadium to be built. Who knows what future we'd have if he hadn't done that, or propped up the club (along with others) during the years when we had nothing. These figures are in no way shocking, because we've been running at a loss for years and years, sustained by our directors. It was also clear that we'd upped our playing budget over the last couple of seasons with the aim of getting back into the Championship. So to be shocked by these figures, you'd have to have been oblivious for a decade.

As for the training ground, who knows, possible, probable even, that Bloom is dipping into his pocket once again. We don't have this year's accounts so we don't know if it could be coming from anywhere else. But investment in the long term future of the club isn't exactly a reason to panic. Still, if we see someone outside Falmer station on Saturday afternoon's next season, wearing a THE END IS NIGH sandwich board, and babbling about our impending doom, we'll know who it is. :)

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Yep. But Bloom is investing in a future that he wants to see. There is no sign whatsoever that he is putting money up front in order to sell the whole shebang and walk away with a big profit in his trouser pocket.

We have no evidence of where the money has come from or how extensive the future funding might be (unless you want to elaborate). All I know is that the shares are in Tony Bloom's name.

By the way I am extremely happy that the investment has been made but the exact source of the funding has never been made clear (to my knowledge). I stand to be corrected though.

Jan 12, 2012
Probably both.

When the tender went out for the pies, based on the national average, the Albion were expected to sell around 1,000 pies per match. They knew that there was a great deal of interest in the stadium, so the allowed for 1,500. The club is selling on average 8,500 pies per match - with a peak of 10,500.

10,500 pies ???
Oh do leave off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Correct, we only sustainable because of Tony Bloom paying for the stadium to be built. Who knows what future we'd have if he hadn't done that, or propped up the club (along with others) during the years when we had nothing. These figures are in no way shocking, because we've been running at a loss for years and years, sustained by our directors. It was also clear that we'd upped our playing budget over the last couple of seasons with the aim of getting back into the Championship. So to be shocked by these figures, you'd have to have been oblivious for a decade.

As for the training ground, who knows, possible, probable even, that Bloom is dipping into his pocket once again. We don't have this year's accounts so we don't know if it could be coming from anywhere else. But investment in the long term future of the club isn't exactly a reason to panic. Still, if we see someone outside Falmer station on Saturday afternoon's next season, wearing a THE END IS NIGH sandwich board, and babbling about our impending doom, we'll know who it is. :)

Bloom IS paying for the training facility.

Between them, the stadium upgrade and the training facility come to around £36m, I believe we've been told.

Nice chap, isn't he?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Probably both.

Similarly, the club were expecting to sell around 4,000 pints of beer per match. They're averaging 14,000 pints.

But what happens if you stop attending Al? Income will PLUMMET. I saw you and that pie trick on Saturday.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Funny how everyone wasn't concerned about the amount we were leeching at Withdean but can see all the profit we are supposedly making at The Amex.

Without trying to put a damper on things I can't see us making a massive profit and I expect Tony to have to put a few million more in to the kitty to buy players to get promotion. If making a profit was just about having a full stadium and selling pies we would see many other clubs making profits - they are not.

Don't forget that we would pay corporation tax on any profit so we would need to hold on to it to spend it on players. On the good side any profit we do make can be offset from some earlier loss making years!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Funny how everyone wasn't concerned about the amount we were leeching at Withdean but can see all the profit we are supposedly making at The Amex.

Without trying to put a damper on things I can't see us making a massive profit and I expect Tony to have to put a few million more in to the kitty to buy players to get promotion. If making a profit was just about having a full stadium and selling pies we would see many other clubs making profits - they are not.

Don't forget that we would pay corporation tax on any profit so we would need to hold on to it to spend it on players. On the good side any profit we do make can be offset from some earlier loss making years!

Well, of course. Notwithstanding the capital costs of the stadium, there are running costs.

Tony himself said on the excellent Albion Roar that he doesn't expect us to break even, 'but we will get somewhere close'. To get 'somewhere close' in your first season of your club being threee times the sizes it was - and with all the trials and tribulations that entails - is a STUNNING effort.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Large One said:
The club is selling on average 8,500 pies per match - with a peak of 10,500.

10,500 pies ???
Oh do leave off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Amex Pies Entered for Award

Last season, Morecambe FC's chicken, ham and leek pie emerged victorious, not just as the best football pie but as the event's supreme winner. Watford FC also earned a bronze award but Jo Philips, chief proprietor of Piglet's, is confident of putting Albion's pies firmly on the map this year.

She told seagulls.co.uk, "I would say I'm nail-bitingly nervous but confident at the same time. We're proud of our pies this season and the feedback from Albion fans has been first-class, so hopefully the judges will be of the same opinion.

"Morecambe won last year, but they only have to produce 800 pies per match, whereas we produce between eight and nine thousand for each game at the Amex.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Bloom IS paying for the training facility.

Between them, the stadium upgrade and the training facility come to around £36m, I believe we've been told.

Nice chap, isn't he?
Ok, I didn't know that was for certain.

I'm sure it's all part of some extremely expensive, extremely long term con job though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here