Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 4-4 with Orient appreciation thread

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Best moment was ray wilkins getting a whack quality game

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Best bit was Maskell making it 2-0 with a diving header, a truly orgasmic moment.

I lef the goldstone feeling really deflated though because we had missed the chance of pulling back points on the teams around us!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Incredible, me and gloves were right at the front of the North Stand and I remember being right next to the bloke that went on the pitch he was MENTAL, in those days every game at the Goldstone was a thriller and probably why I'm addicted now.

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
It was an incredible game and a credit to both fans teams and clubs. I look forward to another game like it next season when we play you again.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Great game. 2-0 up and coasting thanks to a great header by Maskell. Noisy atmosphere all round especially in the North Stand. After half time the defence and Nicky Rust(Ormerod was strangely dropped by gritt) produce a comedy of errors to leave us losing 3-2 in what seemed like just a few minutes. We equalised pretty quick but straight from the kick off Orient went 4-3 up. Mcgliesh and Griffiths give it the gun salute and all hell breaks loose. Most fans booed the fans who went on the pitch but I was so worked up I cheered them on, especially the one who went for a cowering Wilkins! The Referee didn't fancy it and gave us a dubios penalty which took an eternity to actually be taken by Paul Mcdonald. 4-4 and the ref ended it, legged it off the pitch with the Orient players close behind him.

Most incident packed game I've seen.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wilkins was also being a total arse, but all the lazy journalists decided he was the hero of the day for saving the ref. Despite the fact that the pitch invader wasn't actually going for the ref.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2-0 up at halftime and it was all over, right?

Another 3 points at home, if only we could pick some points up away and we might, just might, escape relegation.

Before we knew it, it was 2-2 and then we went 3-2 down. Baird levelled things up at 3-3 but our joy was short-lived as Orient went 4-3 up almost immediately.

They went down to 10 men and Paul McDonald had the opportunity to make it 4-4 from the spot. Despite attempts to put him off, he kept his cool and slotted home.

Of course, there was also the 'fans on the pitch' when Neil, a supporter known to many throughout the campaigning days lost it and went onto the pitch. I can still recall the side-on view on TV as "The butcher of Brighton" sprinted onto the pitch - it looked as though his body was struggling to keep up with his legs. The potential consequences were serious, but viewed purely by itself it was a top comedy moment.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
..and that was also the game that the two bob Orient owner (Frank Baloney or summink) tried to get us chucked out of the league.

What a twat

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Wilkins ran away and ended up on his back on the floor kicking his legs in the air lie a kid in a playground! The bloke who was chaing him was slow and missed about two rugby tackle attempts but eveneutally got his man! Forget he claimed he was protecting the ref! Wimp.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I remember the butcher. Used to go to the games with some younger lads, possibly his son(s). Didn't his shop windows get put in as rumours spread of the club getting in trouble with the FA ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was in Spain when this match was on, but was watching soccer saturday on SKY sports, and the reporters were realy getting excited about this match.
'More discraceful scenes at The Goldstone' I think was one report.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here