Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.3%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 172 56.2%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There’s some stuff around the purging of electoral rolls that’s a worry for it being a fair election. In the last almost 50 years combined there have been fewer than 1500 cases of electoral fraud across the whole of the US yet Texas has just purged a million people from their electoral rolls to prevent fraud, some of whom were deceased, but the others all have to re-register if they want to vote. They say the purge happens monthly but that’s a lot of people to remove just now in a state with a population half that of the UK.

Oklahoma has just removed a third of potential voters with just over 4 weeks to go too…you don’t necessarily know if you’ve been purged either. There are currently around 40 cases in state courts where this is happening challenging the legality or other aspects of it but likely too late to make a difference. That’s a lot of votes that won’t get cast now, and no surprise that affects demographics that skew towards Democrats more…

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Awesome…but that’s what the elitist leftists say every election year. Unfortunately, they never seem to leave.
We have a similar problem here in Britain with mega-rich Right-wing actors, comedians (such as Jim Davidson - 'comedian' is loosely defined here) and other Tory celebrities, who often threaten to emigrate if a Labour government is elected.

I'm always willing to go to the airport and wave them off, and say good riddance you arrogant, entitled, self-important ****s, but sadly, they rarely carry out their threats.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Putin's puppet Trump on Ukraine:

Trump argued Ukraine should have made concessions to Russian President Vladimir Putin in the months before Russia’s February 2022 attack, declaring that even “the worst deal would’ve been better than what we have now”.

Trump is so weak.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Awesome…but that’s what the elitist leftists say every election year. Unfortunately, they never seem to leave.
So it's totally lost on you that the elites were Trump supporters who now want nothing to do with him

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What I think this thread, and the internet in general, proves is that Americans have absolutely no idea what being left wing actually means. The number of actual “leftists” in the US political sphere is about 1-2% absolute tops.

As a clue, none of Harris, Biden, Obama or, indeed, any US President in history is remotely “leftist”. Even someone many Americans regard as being some sort of tooth-and-nail communist in Bernie Sanders is only marginally to the left of Gordon Brown.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There’s some stuff around the purging of electoral rolls that’s a worry for it being a fair election. In the last almost 50 years combined there have been fewer than 1500 cases of electoral fraud across the whole of the US yet Texas has just purged a million people from their electoral rolls to prevent fraud, some of whom were deceased, but the others all have to re-register if they want to vote. They say the purge happens monthly but that’s a lot of people to remove just now in a state with a population half that of the UK.

Oklahoma has just removed a third of potential voters with just over 4 weeks to go too…you don’t necessarily know if you’ve been purged either. There are currently around 40 cases in state courts where this is happening challenging the legality or other aspects of it but likely too late to make a difference. That’s a lot of votes that won’t get cast now, and no surprise that affects demographics that skew towards Democrats more…
I can understand removing the deceased and felons etc - but they also seem to remove people simply because they 'haven't voted for a while'. Surely that's wrong?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So it's totally lost on you that the elites were Trump supporters who now want nothing to do with him
More to the point, Michael Cohen isn't claiming his going to leave based on some vague "he's gonna ruin the county" fear. He's saying he'll leave, and change he's name, based on the fear that Trump, with his absolute presidential immunity, will take revenge on him. Imprisonment, or worse.

Not entirely unjustified with Trump's repeated threats to get even with those he feels have betrayed him.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The thought is that a person could change residences and not tell the previous county that he has moved and vote in 2 different counties in the same election.
It's more about states than counties. You can't really registered in two counties in the same state because you are registering with the same state board of elections.

But you can end up registered in more than one state. Which isn't illegal. Voting in more than one state is.

There is an organization called ERIC,
Electronic Registration Information Center, that is supposed to help coordinate sharing of state voter rolls, but recently a number of GOP led states withdrew from the organization because, quite transparently, they don't actually care about that. They care about kicking Democrats off the rolls.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I think this thread, and the internet in general, proves is that Americans have absolutely no idea what being left wing actually means. The number of actual “leftists” in the US political sphere is about 1-2% absolute tops.

As a clue, none of Harris, Biden, Obama or, indeed, any US President in history is remotely “leftist”. Even someone many Americans regard as being some sort of tooth-and-nail communist in Bernie Sanders is only marginally to the left of Gordon Brown.
that's looking along the economic axis. quite large area of social policy, abortion, gun control, immigration, healthcare, climate, where there divides are split along Republican/Democrat, left/right lines. they define left and liberal differently.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I can understand removing the deceased and felons etc - but they also seem to remove people simply because they 'haven't voted for a while'. Surely that's wrong?
Yep. And you have to re-register to vote but might not find out until it’s too late

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A minor story in the news today:

Trump says “Iran is trying to kill me to destabilise the US.”

Further to the above - Trump now asking Biden to “blow Iran to smithereens”

Donald Trump has called on Joe Biden to issue a stern warning to Iran over reported threats against his life.

"If I were the president, I would inform the threatening country, in this case Iran, that if you do anything to harm this person, we are going to blow your largest cities and the country itself to smithereens,"

Surely this is proof enough that Trump’s belligerent rhetoric is a significant threat to worsening global instability? - while Israel led by Trump backed-Netanyahu is threatening to invade Lebanon (which will prompt for certain, direct retaliation from Iran), Trump is more incensed that he might be unpopular with any world leader, including Iran.

It undermines his whole blustering narcissistic egocentrism - that he could end the war in Ukraine and Iran ‘tomorrow’ or ‘they never would have this war if I was President’ (lies)

On Ukraine, his attitude is no less concerning.

“Trump says Ukraine is 'dead' and 'demolished'

Donald Trump has said people in Ukraine are "dead" and described the country as "demolished" during a campaign event in North Carolina.

The former president argued that Ukraine should have made concessions to Russian President Vladimir Putin in the months before the war started. “

While everyone else is working hard to support Ukraine, Trump is more concerned about his personal popularity and attacking Zelenskyy :

“The president of Ukraine is in our country and he's making little, nasty aspersions towards your favourite president, me," he said, according to our US partner site NBC News. “

The man is utterly despicable and some might even argue, deliberately provoking assassination attempts just so he can play the victim card and win votes.

“Around the world, our enemies are desperate to prevent Donald Trump from returning to the White House because they know I will make America great again. They don't want that," he said.”

Authorities have made no such connection between the two assassination attempts and Iran.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Actually some of Harris’ campaign policies are being lifted straight out of the Starmer playbook but I would not call Starmer ‘leftist’ overall but centrist and on some policies very much to the soft right of centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here