Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Magners Irish Cider.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Looks lovely in the ad'. Anyone tried it?
Not normally my tipple but it looks well refreshing & do you really have ice in cider?
(I also haven't seen it sold anywhere!)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
smudge said:
Looks lovely in the ad'. Anyone tried it?
Not normally my tipple but it looks well refreshing & do you really have ice in cider?
(I also haven't seen it sold anywhere!)
Yes, yes and yes... Nice tipple, Very Refreshing and the Ice is a MUST.

Well worth a try... I didn't really like cider until I tried Magners.

:bowdown:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Woodchip said:
The new off-licence by Seaford Library sells it. Not tried it yet, but plan on drinking it during those "hot" summer months.

It will sell draught Harveys from the 2nd week in july too. :drink: :clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Woodchip said:
And they're doing cheap Chateau neauf-de-pape (sp?). They have got a huge wine and ale selection. Complete opposite of Roys.

And 8 different bottles of Harveys and Dreckly for only £1.49.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Magners seems to be taking over the world... it's OK in my book.

Just Bulmers rebranded, if you've tried that. Not a lot different to other cider IMO.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This whole Magners thing strikes me as an incredible bit of marketing.

Sell something in pint sized bottles for the usual premium glass bottled (over draft) price, but then persuade people to put it straight into a pint glass. And put ice in it.

And people have bought it. As cider goes, I don't think it is particularly nice tasting. It certainly isn't very strong.

Yet people are lapping it up.

I think I even spied a 4 pack of bottles in the supermarket for something like £6. Amazing.

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Bozza said:
This whole Magners thing strikes me as an incredible bit of marketing.

Sell something in pint sized bottles for the usual premium glass bottled (over draft) price, but then persuade people to put it straight into a pint glass. And put ice in it.

And people have bought it. As cider goes, I don't think it is particularly nice tasting. It certainly isn't very strong.

Yet people are lapping it up.

I think I even spied a 4 pack of bottles in the supermarket for something like £6. Amazing.

I must admit, it is the best tasting cider Ive ever had, but the effect the advertising has had on it has been extraordinary. I was selling about 2 or 3 bottles a month before the TV adverts started - now I'm selling over 50 bottles a week!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
But it's a girls drink.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I was in Covent Garden on Thursday. We sat down at one of those places with tables on the cobbles watching the entertainment and noticed that loads of people on adjacent tables had bottles of Magners. I ordered one to see what the fuss was about (£3 a bottle but then so was the beer).

I'm inclined to agree with Bozza, it's very clever marketing.

Basically it's a light cider, served over ice which accentuates it's slightly weaker flavour. It's also not very carbonated, fairly flat in fact so I guess it wouldn't bloat you out too much. Granted it's refreshing though, but i'll stick to nice chilled wheat beer for now like a Kronenbourg Blanc. :drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Where's Tom gone? He's a connoisseur of orgasmic cider.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here