Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'That' Liverpool Banner

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Given that Muzza has scored at least two goals with his 'gentleman's sausage' can we get a similar banner made for him smashing in goals with his shlong?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The message should now be clear. You don’t make any reference to race, sexuality, gender etc at football matches now. You also don’t make any reference with could be construed as being about the above.

If I had to guess I don’t think the creators of the banner were looking to make a racist point and would likely be horrified at the suggestion that they were racist. Stupid is more probable

Sadly football fans do have to tread on eggshells, due to the actions of the actual racists now

I don’t have much love for the slurs on Liverpool fans. “It’s never their fault etc”. It clearly harks back to the dark days and we need to move on now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50166371?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story

Capture.JPG
:moo:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It’s distasteful to use that Hillsborough slur. Thought every football fan knew the origin of ‘its never your fault’? I wouldn’t dream of saying that to my Scouse friends. Highly offensive. Might as well buy them a copy of the Sun too. Need to be sensitive to that.

That isn’t a Hillsborough slur, it’s a general social observation on those who live in the city. Liverpool has a reputation, deserved or not, of adopting self pity whilst portraying themselves to be the victims of any conflict.

A good example is the way they reacted to the Suarez/Evra racism row. Those t shirts were created to make Suarez the victim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody had an issue when the CP2010 ultras did it with a massive white cock to symbolise their stadium :shrug:

EF27F2D6-EF1B-4B0E-B5BA-A33A6A98ADCB.jpeg

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
That isn’t a Hillsborough slur, it’s a general social observation on those who live in the city. Liverpool has a reputation, deserved or not, of adopting self pity whilst portraying themselves to be the victims of any conflict.

A good example is the way they reacted to the Suarez/Evra racism row. Those t shirts were created to make Suarez the victim.

Rubbish. It’s rooted in Hillsborough disaster. That’s when it started. That’s the origin. If something else subsequently happens that gets inappropriately tagged then it makes no odds. It’s deeply offensive and you’re completely on a loser trying to defend that. So don’t do it. You know. Anyone over 40 should know first hand and anyone younger needs correcting if they don’t. If you said that in Liverpool pub you’d be lucky to get out with your teeth. That’s how offensive it is.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Rubbish. It’s rooted in Hillsborough disaster. That’s when it started. That’s the origin. If something else subsequently happens that gets inappropriately tagged then it makes no odds. It’s deeply offensive and you’re completely on a loser trying to defend that. So don’t do it. You know. Anyone over 40 should know first hand and anyone younger needs correcting if they don’t. If you said that in Liverpool pub you’d be lucky to get out with your teeth. That’s how offensive it is.

No. It may have been rooted in the Hillsborough disaster but it is not a slur on Hillsborough itself. It is an observation on the self pity the city adopts when things go against it. The fact that people in the city perceive it as that emphasises the point - they choose to see it as a slur on Hillsborough specifically as it is reflected in their psyche. I don’t think those who make the allegation think it like that at all.

It is only offensive for those who perceive it to be so directly in relation to the events at Hillsborough. I gave the example of Suarez above where the default reaction of the club and the city was to portray Suarez as the victim.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No. It may have been rooted in the Hillsborough disaster but it is not a slur on Hillsborough itself. It is an observation on the self pity the city adopts when things go against it. The fact that people in the city perceive it as that emphasises the point - they choose to see it as a slur on Hillsborough specifically as it is reflected in their psyche. I don’t think those who make the allegation think it like that at all.

It is only offensive for those who perceive it to be so directly in relation to the events at Hillsborough. I gave the example of Suarez above where the default reaction of the club and the city was to portray Suarez as the victim.

True, you can only take offence if you choose to. But given pretty much everyone does get offended, especially when it’s deliberately designed to as this chant is, chances are you will get knocked out and I’m just trying to protect your face. Of course, you believe what you obviously want to. But don’t be ignorant. You can’t be now. Pretty much everyone in football knows its deliberate, mocking connotation and how it started. For the life of me I cannot understand why someone who goes to football would want to sing that given this knowledge. Or defend or deny its offensive nature. Could have been anyone of us, our families and friends that tragic day.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
A statement from Merseyside Police read: “We can confirm Merseyside Police officers assisting local police at the Genk v Liverpool fixture on Wednesday night (October 23) removed a banner in the Liverpool supporters’ section.

“We worked with Liverpool FC and the local authorities to identify the person responsible, and the local police in Belgium are now conducting an investigation.”

As I said in an earlier post it seems it was a so called local “Fan”.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
True, you can only take offence if you choose to. But given pretty much everyone does get offended, especially when it’s deliberately designed to as this chant is, chances are you will get knocked out and I’m just trying to protect your face. Of course, you believe what you obviously want to. But don’t be ignorant. You can’t be now. Pretty much everyone in football knows its deliberate, mocking connotation and how it started. For the life of me I cannot understand why someone who goes to football would want to sing that given this knowledge. Or defend or deny its offensive nature. Could have been anyone of us, our families and friends that tragic day.

Then we will have to agree to differ.

I agree with many of your posts on here, but on this one I do not. The very wording of the chant "always" and "never" implies a generalisation not specific to one particular event.

I am not not ignorant of the events of Hillsborough and would never seek to trivialise its tragedy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here