Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That **** in the Palace shirt at the Lewes game

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh absolutely the guy is clearly a little 'special'.

My point is you can't have it both ways.

You can't be upset about the attention seeker saying 'that wouldn't have happened with volatile rivalry, like Glasgow', while standing by, chuntering.

Either hand out tribal justice, ignore the idiot, or my preferred response, enjoy the fact someone can watch a preseason friendly irrespective of clothing.

I love the fact we're not, AND NEVER HAVE BEEN, Millwall et al.
I'd love it if this were a non event.

That doesn't diminish St Patrick's Day, or lessen the pain for the play-offs.

I'm not really understanding your point completely.
You are saying that, someone should have given him a slap, ignored him or enjoyed seeing someone with a Palace shirt with Murray on the back watching Brighton.

I actually think the outcome was correct, [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] told him he had made a mistake and he saw the error of his ways and covered up the shirt.
The Palace fan was lucky he didn't meet someone that actually did want to hit him.

Just a guess but if the Palace fan had been ignored he would probably had posted a selfie on Twitter, Facebook or whatever of himself saying " look at me taking the piss at a Brighton match "

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Clearly just an attention seeking c***.. Comparing this to someone walking through Brighton in Palace top is ridiculous. No one with half a brain cell would rock up to a Palace game wearing a Brighton top and think it's totally acceptable..

Fortunately for him a pub crawl around Lewes was far more enticing than going to the game..

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
That's nothing there was a Burnley fan in a Burnley top at the game in Geneva AND he was singing "I can see you holding hands" at the Brighton fans.

Should have got a slap !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not really understanding your point completely.
You are saying that, someone should have given him a slap, ignored him or enjoyed seeing someone with a Palace shirt with Murray on the back watching Brighton.

I actually think the outcome was correct, [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] told him he had made a mistake and he saw the error of his ways and covered up the shirt.
The Palace fan was lucky he didn't meet someone that actually did want to hit him.

Just a guess but if the Palace fan had been ignored he would probably had posted a selfie on Twitter, Facebook or whatever of himself saying " look at me taking the piss at a Brighton match "
Then so be it.

I just can't work it out.
There's the outrage on here and the outrage at the time, but they don't seem to match up.

Buzzer told him he was out of order, so fine.

But to the wider point, now you both and plenty of others have said words to the effect of The Palace fan was lucky he didn't meet someone that actually did want to hit him.
I'm just wondering if he was lucky or if the fact that we are Brighton fans and all the BS on this thread, meant nobody was ever going to hit him.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Then so be it.

There's the outrage on here and the outrage at the time, but they don't seem to match up.

But to the wider point, now you both and plenty of others have said words to the effect of The Palace fan was lucky he didn't meet someone that actually did want to hit him.
I'm just wondering if he was lucky or if the fact that we are Brighton fans and all the BS on this thread, meant nobody was ever going to hit him.

I and others can't read the minds of others that may have been at the match, if he hadn't covered up his Palace shirt and started taking the piss , he MAY HAVE bumped into someone that thought he needed a slap.
This is the point I was making when I said he was lucky he didn't meet someone that actually wanted to hit him.

Plenty of people that are commenting on this thread probably didn't see him anyway, I didn't as I wasn't at the match.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's nothing there was a Burnley fan in a Burnley top at the game in Geneva AND he was singing "I can see you holding hands" at the Brighton fans.

You can take the man out of Burnley, but you can't take Burnley out of the man. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Geesh. Aren't Brighton fans above all this aggro, by now?

Take the guy's money, laugh at him. Have a drink after..

End of.

But then again he was only going to a Brighton game, so he knew he was safe.

I'm struggling to understand how fans can be so outraged by this but not actually, except for some naughty words, do anything.

It's all very well citing North London, Glasgow and Manchester in defense of being incandescent with rage but it seems a little odd:-

'You can't wear that shirt because other people in a similar situation would be so outraged they'd duff you up'.
'Luckily for you we're not like those so all I'm going to do is use inappropriate language'.

That takes 'hold me back' to a whole new level.

What I find odd is people who are attracted to "the football" but then go on to say how much they'd prefer it without all the language and rivalry. That's about 50% of the experience. It's like wanting to go to the rugby without seeing Welshmen and public school boys playing drinking games and buggering frozen chickens.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Then so be it.

The trouble with that argument is that quite clearly Brighton do have a hooligan element and recent arrests, banning orders and imprisonments prove that (Palace v Brighton hoolies at Kings Cross for instance). Unfortunately, your brain can only cope with extremities and if the hooliganism isn't of a level of Millwall early 80s then you don't believe it happened. No UK club, not even Millwall have violence at that level anymore but it doesn't mean it never happens.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I find odd is people who are attracted to "the football" but then go on to say how much they'd prefer it without all the language and rivalry. That's about 50% of the experience. It's like wanting to go to the rugby without seeing Welshmen and public school boys playing drinking games and buggering frozen chickens.
I do prefer it without the language, but that's just the parent in me.
When I remove my rosy specs the football 'experience' I had with my father doesn't come close to the fun jnr has now.
As for the rivalry, maybe I just too old and woolly.
I can't get so enraged by palace, that I'd take offence at a pre season friendly just because one mug is acting muggy.
Let alone threatening christ knows what on the internet 24 hours later.
I guess I can easily sum it up by pointing out the nearest I get to civil unrest is refusing to given 'them' a capital P.
The trouble with that argument is that quite clearly Brighton do have a hooligan element and recent arrests, banning orders and imprisonments prove that (Palace v Brighton hoolies at Kings Cross for instance). Unfortunately, your brain can only cope with extremities and if the hooliganism isn't of a level of Millwall early 80s then it can't happen at all. No UK club, not even Millwall have violence at that level anymore but it doesn't mean it never happens.
That is a very fair and correct point, which I wholly take on board.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
tbh it's just some guy that wanted to have a laugh by provoking a reaction. Perhaps he knew one of his albion mates would be there and it's a private joke?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I went to Sussex v Hampshire on Friday. A few loud Hampshire fans giving it some, but there's no 'ends' in cricket, so all good fun.

Never been to a rugby match, but all very jolly I'm sure for fans to mix there.

Call me old fashioned, but I like the tribal nature of football inside the ground. In a sanatised society I think we need that healthy release now and again. It is us and them and you don't take the piss by wearing your own colours in amongst your rivals. If you want to mix with your rivals, come as neutral, sit on your hands, keep quiet and show some respect. Under no circumstances wear your colours. That's just the rules as far as I'm concerned. I abide by them and have no time whatsoever for anyone who doesn't.

I can see how the OP's post may appear a childish over reaction to some, in this 'day and age' and all that nonsense, but for me it's completely justified, in context, and defending a tradition that I'd be sad to see chased from our game. All power to Buzzers elbow I say.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Exactly this. El Pres's ridiculous photo as some sort of vindication that it's okay to wear Man U tops at Citeh matches is pointless and patently not true.

After the match yesterday I was at a party with a few Brighton fans, a Palace fan and a Pompey fan. We were all quite civilised, enjoyed talking about footie together and all agreed this Palace fan at the match was an attention-seeking numbnut.

There's a time and a place for things.
I was at a party with some Albion fans, a Pompey fan and a Palace fan too.
Do I know you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here