Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tessa Jowell Q & A

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Tessa Jowell, the Minister for Culture, Media and Sport will be answering questions on "the Olympics, Wembley and everything else" on the Labour Party's website from 5.30 to 6.30 this afternoon. I think you have to submit questions in advance. Links on the frontpage at http://www.labour.org.uk/ if anyone's interested. OK, she's not John Prescott, but I'm sure she talks to him.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
fataddick said:
Tessa Jowell, the Minister for Culture, Media and Sport will be answering questions on "the Olympics, Wembley and everything else" on the Labour Party's website from 5.30 to 6.30 this afternoon. I think you have to submit questions in advance. Links on the frontpage at http://www.labour.org.uk/ if anyone's interested. OK, she's not John Prescott, but I'm sure she talks to him.

Peter Ward's quote is the ideal point to put to her - see Two Peters thread.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Thought the softly-softly approach might be best...

Tessa,
Firstly, could I congratulate the Government wholeheartedly on its support for the Olympic bid. I hope you'll agree that promoting sport is the best way to ensure the country stays fit and healthy, combat obesity, and restore national pride.

As such, could I count on your support in Brighton & Hove Albion's attempts to recreate a proper home, after it was asset-stripped by it's former owners in the late 1990s (including a former Liberal Democrat MP, incidentally).

Sussex has no other professional football team, and the bid has been designed to include significant sporting facilities to benefit the community as a whole.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Dandyman

In London village.
Asked if she supports, in principle, the sporting, commercial and quality of life benefits a community stadium will bring. :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Martlet said:
Thought the softly-softly approach might be best...

Tessa,
Firstly, could I congratulate the Government wholeheartedly on its support for the Olympic bid. I hope you'll agree that promoting sport is the best way to ensure the country stays fit and healthy, combat obesity, and restore national pride.

As such, could I count on your support in Brighton & Hove Albion's attempts to recreate a proper home, after it was asset-stripped by it's former owners in the late 1990s (including a former Liberal Democrat MP, incidentally).

Sussex has no other professional football team, and the bid has been designed to include significant sporting facilities to benefit the community as a whole.

Thank you for this opportunity.

Good one :clap: Think I may join in with it, I'll write something simular and boost the Olympic Card we have!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just saw this on the page * EVERYONE MUST WRITE SOMETHING *

"Our interviewers will choose the most popular"

regarding questions to the lady...GET ON IT NOW!

my question:

Regarding the Governments backing of the Olympics bid, Brighton & Hove Albion FC are currently awaiting a final verdict from John Prescott as to the go ahead of their new stadium in Falmer. Being the only top flight professional club in Sussex and also being a City, would it not enhance the appeal of the Olympic Selecting Committee if they we're to see a new Complex on the south coast that benefits not just Football and the local community but is also of a National Interest
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ok maybe mine was abit too long but they do edit them, anyway Tony Blair has this to say after you've asked a question, take note of the bold paragraph

"Dear friend,

Do you feel that politicians are only interested in your views at election times, when you want to be able to have your say on the big issues now? This survey is part of a conversation with you about the big issues for our country.

In the past six years we have achieved much together to help transform our country. But there is much more to do and we can only take our country forward if we understand your priorities and concerns.

I have asked Labour MPs and representatives to lead this consultation and to feed back the concerns of each community. This will be used to help improve your local area as well as being used to shape Labour's programme at the next election.

Ours is a great country, with great potential for the future, but with real challenges that still need to be tackled.

With your help, I am confident we will be able to deliver a future fair for all.

Best wishes

Tony Blair"

Basically he says they listen to the local community, now if that we're the case then we'd have Falmer by now! So getting a bucket load of questions to this Lady would surely ruffle a few feathers even if she just mentioned it to TB in passing or even to JP "I had mostly questions regarding the importance of Falmer John!" is something she might say

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Much as the whole idea of the 'Big Conversation' makes me want to puke... I have registered my question in the same vein...

"In the light of the Governments full support for the Olympic bid, and in recognition of the value of sport at a national and international level, could the Minister explain what the government is doing to extend that support to include critical local sporting initiatives, like the new Community Stadium in the City of Brighton and Hove ?"

Titanic said:
Much as the whole idea of the 'Big Conversation' makes me want to puke...

Damn straight. Did you see that Private Eye cover, headlined 'The Big Conversation in full'? One word comes from the audience: "Resign"; one word comes from Blair in reply: "No."

Like you, however, I have submitted a question:

"Mindful of Brighton & Hove Albion's application to build a new community stadium on the south coast, do you agree that such grounds - which promise increased community and educational use, while seeking to minimise environmental impact - are the way forward for sports stadia in the UK?"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
fatbadger said:
Damn straight. Did you see that Private Eye cover, headlined 'The Big Conversation in full'? One word comes from the audience: "Resign"; one word comes from Blair in reply: "No."

In the words of Basil Fawlty: 'Typical, bloody typical!'
:lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
CrabtreeBHA said:
just saw this on the page * EVERYONE MUST WRITE SOMETHING *

"Our interviewers will choose the most popular"

regarding questions to the lady...GET ON IT NOW!

Come on folks - get your questions in - NOW!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Access to this web page is restricted at this time.

Reason:
The Websense category "Political Organizations" is filtered.

Grrrrrr.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I haven't specifically mentioned the Albion in mine, in a futile attempt to trick her, but hopefully the inference should be clear:

"The football team I support, Charlton Athletic, has won numerous awards for its pioneering community schemes. The club runs disabled football tournaments, anti-truancy campaigns and football’s largest anti-racism initiative. Over 47,000 local boys and girls attend its coaching courses. None of this would be possible without the solid base in the region that comes from having a true home stadium (something Charlton were without for far too long). Do you agree that a football club and its facilities are a vital asset to a local community?"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here