Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teams that finish bottom of the Championship/Division One

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
2001/2 - Stockport (26) - Next season finished 14th.
2002/3 - Grimsby (39) - Next season finished 21st and relegated.
2003/4 - Wimbledon (29) - Next season (MK Dons) finished 20th, stayed up by a point.
2004/5 - Rotherham (29) - Next season finished 20th, stayed up on the last day.
2005/6 - Brighton (38) - Next season??

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mid table at best

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
DAMANCLAY said:
Does anyone else want to write us off before the next season starts?
Not writing us off, just trying to be a bit realistic.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
DannyBhoy said:
thanks for that

:nono:

Yeah really!

Just what I needed on a wet Monday morning after returning from the dentist to cheer me up.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I dont say how we could possibly guess this yet, we dont know who is going to be our manager, we dont know how many of those with expiring contracts will be kept on and we dont have any details about how much we can spend on wages, the only thing we can be sure of if that we wont get any money to spend on transfers.

We have no devine right to do well next season, and we'll need some tough tackling ball winners in midfield.

Very much up in the air at the moment, I'd say

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Show how the teams finishing second and third bottom fared the next season...

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
These same sort of FACTs were trotted out last time we were relegated and we still went back up.

Total irrelevance.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Our season is dependant on who we bring in.

With the team we have I'd expect lower mid table but Im sure we'll bring a few bargain basement players in

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Downloaded Penguin said:
Show how the teams finishing second and third bottom fared the next season...
2001/2 - 22nd Crewe (49), 23rd Barnsley (48) - NExt season 2nd Crewe and 19th Barnsley
2002/3 - 22nd Sheffield Wednesday (46), 23rd Brighton (45) - Next season 16th Wednesday and 4th Brighton
2003/4 - 22nd Walsall (51), 23rd Bradford (36) - Next season 14th Wallsall and 11th Bradford
2004/5 - 22nd Gillingham (50), 23rd Nottingham Forest (44) - Next season 14th Gillingham and 7th Forest.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The Large One said:
The fate of other clubs finishing bottom over the past five years has absolutely nothing to do with us nor our fate next season.
But there is a definite pattern don't you think?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
i think we are in a different situation to that alot of those clubs lost alot of players? we wont be losing anyone well i hope not theres no reason why we cant come back up or at least be aiming for the playoffs ;)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Silent Bob said:
2001/2 - Stockport (26) - Next season finished 14th.
2002/3 - Grimsby (39) - Next season finished 21st and relegated.
2003/4 - Wimbledon (29) - Next season (MK Dons) finished 20th, stayed up by a point.
2004/5 - Rotherham (29) - Next season finished 20th, stayed up on the last day.
2005/6 - Brighton (38) - Next season??

Haven't checked but I bet they all sacked their manager either towards the end of the relegation season or oncxce they got relegated.

As we are gonna have the same manager, we will break the mould
Hope that thought pisses you off as much as your statistics have me:lol:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Not writing us off, just trying to be a bit realistic.

I seem to remember most of those teams lost alot of players, we wont lose that many. We also have one of the best youth teams in the country and a few are going to come of age next season. None of those other teams have the youth team set up we have.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
munkfish said:
i think we are in a different situation to that alot of those clubs lost alot of players? we wont be losing anyone well i hope not theres no reason why we cant come back up or at least be aiming for the playoffs ;)
I disagree, I think we're in the same boat as those clubs. Small attendances, no real money. I don't think any of them lost many players, as I suspect we won't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Silent Bob said:
But there is a definite pattern don't you think?
Yes, there's a pattern. But it's still irrelevant.

Now, if there was some almighty divine rule that states that the club finishing bottom must do badly the next season, then I would worry. But there isn't, so I won't. It's a meaningless list, apart from to point out that the club finishing bottom did badly the next season.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Is that a good thing?

I think so, we mostly have a young squad and a handful of season pro's. As long as we can hold on to the nucleaus of the squad i fancy we will do well next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here