Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team selection for Charlton?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So will we stick with the 1 upfront? 4-5-1 or will Forster get recalled and two upfront?

I assume El-Abd will replace Virgo now and will Kuipers be recalled?

Personally I'd go for....

Brezovan
Calderon / Elphick / El-Abd / Painter
Bennett / Dicker / Crofts / Lua Lua
Forster Murray

....What would your line up be...?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Brezovan should be dropped due to his howler of a throw causing Virgo to get sent off. El-Abd in for Virgo.

Kuipers

Calderon
Elphick
El-Abd
Painter

Crofts
Navarro
Dicker

Bennett
Murray
Lua Lua

Subs:
Cox
Forster
Holroyd
McNulty
Carole
Hart
Pelling

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I wonder whether Painter will be moved to centre back with El Abd going in at left back. Certainly they have both played across the entire defence in the past.

I would stick El Abd at centre back, which I think is his best position.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Same as Sat bar El-Abd for Virgo and McNulty on bench for El-Abd

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Keep Brezovan in. He made one mistake at Leeds which turned out to be costly indirectly - Virgo didn't have to lunge in like a looney and the rest of our team didn't have to drop so deep after that and allow the Leeds players so much time on the ball in and around the area. He came for crosses and generally dominated his area and looked confident. I honestly don't think we'd have gone so long against Leeds without conceding if Kuipers had been in goal Saturday.

Apart from that I'd switch Painter to centre, play El Abd left back with Bennet in front of him for cover, put Lua Lua on the right wing and have Hoyte and McNulty on the bench.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brezovan is, and always will be, a complete liability and not worth the risk.

Kuipers
Calderon
Elphick
El-Abd
Painter
Bennett
Crofts
Navarro
Dicker
Lua-Lua
Murray

Forster on the bench, McNulty back there aswell. Brezovan can resume bench warming duties.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Keep Brezovan in. He made one mistake at Leeds which turned out to be costly indirectly - Virgo didn't have to lunge in like a looney and the rest of our team didn't have to drop so deep after that and allow the Leeds players so much time on the ball in and around the area. He came for crosses and generally dominated his area and looked confident. I honestly don't think we'd have gone so long against Leeds without conceding if Kuipers had been in goal Saturday.

Apart from that I'd switch Painter to centre, play El Abd left back with Bennet in front of him for cover, put Lua Lua on the right wing and have Hoyte and McNulty on the bench.

Why shift Painter doing well at left back and El-Abd is not a natural left back is he and have to make other changes to a team that worked well on Sat. Poyet will try and make minimal changes to the defence which is why I think El-Abd for Virgo straight swap

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Brezovan

2. Calderon
5. El-Abd
6. Elphick
3. Painter

7. Bennett
4. Crofts
10. Navarro
11. LuaLua

8. Forster
9. Murray

Subs.
Kuipers
Dicker
Holroyd
McNulty
+3

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Draw with the best team in the league, conceding in the last seconds, and people want to drop the goalkeeper?

Odd. Especially as Kuipers was dropped for being crap of late himself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Draw with the best team in the league, conceding in the last seconds, and people want to drop the goalkeeper?

Odd. Especially as Kuipers was dropped for being crap of late himself.

Because that goalkeeper is rubbish. I have nothing against the goalkeeper who replaces Michel, so long as they're better and aren't a complete liability. We're playing a guy who wasn't good enough in this league last season, and wasn't considered good enough for Crewe (TWICE!!!) and Dagenham this season after having trials. Brezovan is only here because Smith was so rubbish and because Poyet knows him. He's not a great goalkeeper and he's not better than Michel.

For me, the main reason for that is that you don't know what Brezovan is going to do. People moan about Kuipers not commanding his area and his 6 yard box, and I agree he doesn't do that enough and it's frustrating. But the defence know he's not going to come and dominate, so they have to. Which is fine, because they know what they're doing. Sometimes, Brezovan comes out and sometimes he doesn't. That puts the doubt in the defenders minds, which isn't there with Michel. Personally, I think that's a very relevant point and just another of the reasons why I don't like Brezovan as a keeper.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
El-Abd in for Virgo. Otherwise same as Saturday.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Because that goalkeeper is rubbish. I have nothing against the goalkeeper who replaces Michel, so long as they're better and aren't a complete liability. We're playing a guy who wasn't good enough in this league last season, and wasn't considered good enough for Crewe (TWICE!!!) and Dagenham this season after having trials. Brezovan is only here because Smith was so rubbish and because Poyet knows him. He's not a great goalkeeper and he's not better than Michel.

For me, the main reason for that is that you don't know what Brezovan is going to do. People moan about Kuipers not commanding his area and his 6 yard box, and I agree he doesn't do that enough and it's frustrating. But the defence know he's not going to come and dominate, so they have to. Which is fine, because they know what they're doing. Sometimes, Brezovan comes out and sometimes he doesn't. That puts the doubt in the defenders minds, which isn't there with Michel. Personally, I think that's a very relevant point and just another of the reasons why I don't like Brezovan as a keeper.
Regarding the criticism of Brezovan - totally OTT in my opinion. Bar the occasional mistake, he seems a far stronger keeper than Kuipers. Kuipers does not come for crosses, timewastes for England and always moans at the defenders when we concede a goal, even when Kuipers himself is at fault.

Why has nobody criticised OGH for failing to close down Gradel when he (Gradel) crossed for Leeds' winner?!?! When Navarro recently turned his back on an opponent who then crossed for a goal, he was roundly criticised.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Why shift Painter doing well at left back and El-Abd is not a natural left back is he and have to make other changes to a team that worked well on Sat. Poyet will try and make minimal changes to the defence which is why I think El-Abd for Virgo straight swap

Because I think Painter is a better CB than El Abd and El Abd has looked useful at LB so far this season.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Kuipers

Calderon
Elphick
El-Abd
Painter

Dicker
Navarro
Crofts
Lua Lua

Murray
Holroyd

Bennet has been poor recently, he might make an impact coming off the bench if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here