Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team Rebuilding - Have we got what it takes to defend set pieces ? - Discuss

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Look at what we have and what we are being linked with and nearly everything looks just fine, but I am just a little nervous about the general lack of height, specifically moving up a division. Agree/Disagree what do the good people of NSC think ? Could we be vulnerable from corners and set pieces ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agree. As that very nice Millwall fan posted on here awhile ago. There are some BIG teams in this division (as in height/muscle) and we need to stand up and be counted. Last seasons probably only weakspot was as you say a lack of height.

Especially when Murray wasnt playing and able to come back and defend.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree. As that very nice Millwall fan posted on here awhile ago. There are some BIG teams in this division (as in height/muscle) and we need to stand up and be counted. Last seasons probably only weakspot was as you say a lack of height.

Especially when Murray wasnt playing and able to come back and defend.

To be fair (my one and only time today), Chris Wood made a half-decent fist of defending set pieces. No, really.

Suspect Buckley or Bergkamp will get lumbered with that particular number.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agree wholeheartedly. It was an issue - particularly highlighted in the Stoke game - and currently remains a concern

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Agree.

Look at the goals Stoke scored against us.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Definitely an aspect of our game that needs work. I really hope that some defenders are in the next crop of signings.

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
Honestly Adam is small but he can head the ball and jump and Greer is taller (but I didn't see him jump much to head the ball last season) and they are our main Centre backs and I agree with the hight and muscle of the team being an issue (Glen "money" was our best headerer of the ball) but there are still going to be transfers to come and who knows who/what the team will be made up of when the begining of the season arrives

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Stoke dominate in the air against pretty much every team in England, I don't think we should be too worried about the goals conceded there. However we could definitely do with a bit more height in the midfield.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Another dominant centre half in the air is a must to go with Greer, problem is he needs to be able to play a bit of football too...

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
And let's not forget the spring heeled Bridcutt! He might be tiny but he gets up amazingly well. Saw him win plenty in the air that he had no right to win last season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree.

Look at the goals Stoke scored against us.

I did.

Two were from set pieces. The first was down to an error of judgement from Brezovan; the third goal was the collective shocker people are talking about. The second goal Greer lost his man and the ball went through Brez's hands.

In the second half, we taught them about the considerations of passing the ball on the deck, which pissed Tony Pulis off no end.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Buckley is over 6ft so i can imagine he will drop back to defend set pieces.

If we add another midfielder i'd imagine we'll be going for someone a bit different to what we have so adding more height in that department.
That Prince Buaben we were linked with back in April/May is pushing 6ft.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Murray was usually our free man (not marking anyone) at defensive set pieces, his job was just to attack the ball, and more often than not he was up clearing it.

good question, we need someone else to take that resposnbility of free man now.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
This is something I have been concerned about for some time. Murray was always prominent and important in these situations so how is he replaced? Brighton dont want to be another Arsenal defensively. We need some aerial ability to be brought in. (Thought that Bergkamps dutch coach said that his heading wasnt great but that it would improve in English football so he isnt the immediate answer)
I believe the referee having words with Greer about his physicality had a lot to do with a couple of Stoke goals. Yet again the Stoke player got away with it.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I agree, I'm sure Gus isn't going out to win games just by out scoring the opposition! All will be revealed by Aug 6th, i'm not panicking yet.

Have we got a penalty taker yet? Sorry if fixtures.:shrug::dunce:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
v Soton in April

No Greer and after GM had to be substituted I thought it truly bad given they had some really large forwards bearing down.

So yes I think we need someone large, agile and competent, permanent or at least on six months loan.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed... IMHO, this is one of the top priorities now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here