Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team GB to enter a football team for 2012 in London

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently this is going to happen as we are going to have competitors automatically entered in every event, as the hosts.

I can see this being an epic binfest as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are likely to think, and with reason, that England will be the dominant country in the arrangements :lol:

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Apparently this is going to happen as we are going to have competitors automatically entered in every event, as the hosts.

I can see this being an epic binfest as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are likely to think, and with reason, that England will be the dominant country in the arrangements :lol:

Yeah, I heard about this the other day... apparently Ferguson might be the manager, that is if he's retired by then!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My view of the football is the same as the tennis they get enough exposure outside of the olympics so should not be included.

I can see this farce of a football team dominating the buildup rather than the other athletes which is a shame.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's a great idea as I've always wanted to see how a GB team would fare on the world stage.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The games will be after another long season and I cannot see our team being competitive. I mean our players can't even raise their game to play for England what sort of effort will they put into a GB Olympic competition.

I can't see us getting a rounded idea of the success of a GB team as most of the games at this Olympics have been played at training ground pace.

Also look at the farce of releasing players for the Olympics with Messi I can't see either the Scottish or English premier league sides releasing their players for an Olympic competition.

If it happens it happens but for me it is a shame that in the media all the talk is whether we have an Olympic football team and not the other athletes, christ even Gordon Brown was banging on about it this morning.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Shouldn't be allowed.

There's no GB team in the WC or EC so there shouldn't be for the Olympics.

Quite agree, if we had a UK team a few years back it would have been 10 English players and one from Wales. Think how many would turn up for a game like that at Hampden or in Belfast, as they'd have to move the matches between the seperate countries.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Shouldn't be allowed.

There's no GB team in the WC or EC so there shouldn't be for the Olympics.

You can keep out of this argument and continue sucking on those 2008 vintage Olympic grapes :annoyed::D

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You can keep out of this argument and continue sucking on those 2008 vintage Olympic grapes :annoyed::D

I'm a Brighton supporter so I have a vested interest in this matter.

By 2012 Brighton's 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish and 1 Northern Irish International players could be affected by such a ludicrous situation.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm a Brighton supporter so I have a vested interest in this matter.

By 2012 Brighton's 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish and 1 Northern Irish International players could be affected by such a ludicrous situation.

My last remark was made in jest.

With a non English manager like Ferguson I think it might work and regardless of the politics involved it WILL be interesting imo to see a GB team.

What do you reckon the team might be if it was picked now?

Oh and by 2012 we'll have a at least a couple of ENGLAND internationals playing for the Albion :lol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My last remark was made in jest.

With a non English manager like Ferguson I think it might work and regardless of the politics involved it WILL be interesting imo to see a GB team.

What do you reckon the team might be if it was picked now?

Oh and by 2012 we'll have a at least a couple of ENGLAND internationals playing for the Albion :lol:

I have no idea what the team would be to be honest. :shrug:

I'm quite weird in that I only follow Brighton and couldn't care less about the Premier League so I only know our players. :lol:

But as it's an u/23 competition alot of the young players who will be part of the team won't be known that well at present i'd guess.

Oh and by 2012 we won't be able to afford English Internationals thus we're restricted to the B-class versions Welsh,Scots etc :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
since the various FA's wont agree to it, i think you might see a squad drawn from non-league, which would have the benefit of opening up participation from the 4 nations greatly.

agree with earlier comment regards tennis, there souldnt be any pro sports are the olympics, and its supposed to be athletics anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There will be a GB team as Fifa have apparently sanctioned it however, the SFA, have not and appear will not, agree so there will be no scottish players. Sepp Blatter has already said he doesn't care if the GB team is all English.

Also, lets not forget it is primarily an under 23 event with a couple of overage players and also that in 2012 there will be in June/July a European Championship!!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
What will be great is that some of the games are likely to be played at Falmer. Bring it on.

I thought that the various FA's were perpetually against a "Team GB" as it would set a precedent for FIFA to say "you do it for the Olympics therefore you can have just the one place for the World Cup".

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also, lets not forget it is primarily an under 23 event with a couple of overage players and also that in 2012 there will be in June/July a European Championship!!

What a great way to introduce young talent to a big tournament, all four (three if Scotland get the sulks) should benefit two years down the line and maybe we will have an England team for Euro 2012 that is not full of the "old guard", I can only live in hope

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a great way to introduce young talent to a big tournament, all four (three if Scotland get the sulks) should benefit two years down the line and maybe we will have an England team for Euro 2012 that is not full of the "old guard", I can only live in hope

Don't follow your logic there. If anything, the Euro team will be full of the old guard as the youngsters may be saved for the Olympics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here