Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tax rebates

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ask for a tax form, they don't send them out automatically any more. Tax rebates are still possible.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
if you have paid too much tax due to coding errors then you can claim the tax back.

Log onto HMR&C website and register and once you have your authorisation code you can complete a tax return online which will calculate your rebate if you are due one.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I made errors on my first three tax returns, didn't offset everything that I was entitled to, an easy thing to do. It wasn't until I enlisted the services of an independant tax advisor that the mistake was noticed, I got a tax rebate of about £1500, which was a pleasant surprise. I now know far more about the tax system, having learnt the hard way, I now pay exactly the right amount of tax each year.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
But don't fall for any scam emails from HMRC saying you are due a rebate and wanting your bank details. It doesn't work like that!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Basically I only worked for arond 3 months of the last tax year, so paid tax via employer through PAYE. Am now working full time again. Will I be due back the tax I paid in the last tax year as I earnt less than 6k in those 3 months ?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Basically I only worked for arond 3 months of the last tax year, so paid tax via employer through PAYE. Am now working full time again. Will I be due back the tax I paid in the last tax year as I earnt less than 6k in those 3 months ?

Yes, you should, but you may need to claim yourself rather than just expect the Inland Revenue to give it back. Do you have a P60 from last year, from the employer you did those 3 months with?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Yes - PAYE assumes you will continue to earn the same each month for the whole tax year. If you don't work the whole year then you can get a tax rebate or your tax code is changed for the following year to take account for the over payment of tax - but not automatically, you have to claim it.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm going through this process at the moment fella, it's sickening.

Sent them a letter 3 weeks ago and going to give them a call today. There's a tool on the HMRC website that lets you find your particular tax office and then you send them details of your situation enclosed with a copy of your P45 or P60.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm going through this process at the moment fella, it's sickening.

Sent them a letter 3 weeks ago and going to give them a call today. There's a tool on the HMRC website that lets you find your particular tax office and then you send them details of your situation enclosed with a copy of your P45 or P60.

HMR&C are about 12-15 weeks behind dealing with post so if you ring them they almost certainly won't have details of your letter on the system yet.

@ Wookiee - the quickest way may still be to do a tax return online to get the tax back, it may take a few days to get the authorisation code but the refund will get paid into your bank account fairly quickly. Those 9 months that you didnt work were you getting job seekers as that is taxable and need to be taken into account.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here