Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taricco could face Liverpool

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
Taricco could face Liverpool From The Argus)

Albion's assistant manager Mauricio Taricco is in contention to play against Liverpool.

Gus Poyet’s No. 2 could deputise for the suspended Marcos Painter in Wednesday’s Carling Cup third round tie at The Amex.

Will Hoskins is in contention to face Liverpool after shrugging off a persistent hip injury but Poyet will leave it up to Vicente to decide if he is fit enough for his debut.

I'm dreading the likes of Maxi Rodriguez, Henderson, Downing running at Taricco. Taricco was decent to do a job most of the times in League 1 as a replacement but this is gonna be a massive weak link tomorrow.

Hoskins hopefully will get his part, I'm hoping Vicente also comes on at some point, should be very interesting

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I agree. On the other hand, out of all the Albion players, only Taricco has ever scored against Liverpool.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The one thing I have learnt about Gus is that you can never second guess the formation, or the players that he selects - I am still baffled by the starting line up for the Cardiff game, even though we won.

With that in mind, I confidently predict that Peter Brezovan will be starting at leat back, if not it will probably be Gully.

Last edited:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
But Painter is hardly Linford Christie when it comes to running. I actually think Tano will do OK with his experience putting him a step ahead of the opposition.

Plus he can put a quality ball in too.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Taricco will shepherd Downing, make sure (if he plays on the right) that he does not cut inside.

My Team (this match only):

Ankergren
Calderon Dunk Greer Taricco
Bridcutt Navarro
Buckley Dicker Noone
Barnes

subs: Brezovan (GK), Lua lua, Mackail-Smith, Cook, Hoskins, Vincelot, Harley

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
But Painter is hardly Linford Christie when it comes to running. I actually think Tano will do OK with his experience putting him a step ahead of the opposition.

Plus he can put a quality ball in too.

Agreed, don't write off Tano. I believe he's done a lot of fitness work recently- has had a full pre-season behind him too. For a no pressure game, I'm not worried about him stepping in.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I think Vincelot will repalce Dunk, to ensure Dunk does not pick up his 5th yellow and miss Leeds. This means Tarricco is the only realistic option for Liverpool.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not sure Liverpool will risk Downing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm not sure Liverpool will risk Downing.

That's the snag when planning to counter the opposition. They fox it all up (like Leicester) by changing their system. I think Liverpool will do this more than field a weak team. I expect Downing will be on the bench. The most interesting omission could be Lucas though. Gerrard may very well play.

+

Dirk Kuyt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

instead of Downing. I would guess their strongest front three would be Kuyt, Caroll and Suarez
with Gerrad, Lucas and ???? in midfield the last being their holding midfielder and I do not know who he will be?

I suppose it must be:

Jay Spearing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So this means Liverpool may persist with 4-3-3. This would be our best chance ?!

Maybe:

Reina
??? - Carragher - Coates - Enrique
- Gerrard - Lucas - Spearing
Suarez - Carroll - Kuyt

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
But then chances are he'll get booked vs Leeds and miss Palace. Would rather he missed the Leeds game than Palace

Absolutely. If he doesn't play v Liverpool, he could end up missing Palace as well, so only play in the Leeds match of the 3.

If he gets booked v Liverpool, or Leeds, he'll only miss 1 match.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said on other threads about this why play Vincelot as a centre back when he has never played there in his career only for a short time as an emergency. If and it is a big if Gus decides to rest Dunk he should play Cook who is a natural central defender who had a good pre-season and tour of Portugal. I think that Tanno will play at left back and that Vincelot may play alongside Bridcut instead of Dicker. A lot will depend on which match Gus decides Dunk should be suspended for as to whether or not he plays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here