Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Target man January transfer window

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More midfielders needed :jester:

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
He was on the pitch last night - Tyrone Barnett. Don't think he lost a header last night. Knocked down a few for their midfielders. Can't see Peterborough selling though.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Our problems are not up-front, we have the 4th top scorer in the league, who if he carries on like this will end up with 25-30 goals, and a support striker in Barnes who will have 12-16 goals, with Buckley getting 5-10, and our defence chipping in with 10. I appreciate that this logic is flawed and we cannot base the whole season on the games played so far.

However, our midfield has not contributed a single goal this season, I don't think the players are completely at fault for this, I think Gus needs to let the likes of Crofts and Hammond bomb forward a bit more, or play players further forward to support CMS and Barnes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Murray? Surely if we offered £7.2m of Blooms hard earned dough Palace would at least have to think about it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our problems are not up-front, we have the 4th top scorer in the league, who if he carries on like this will end up with 25-30 goals, and a support striker in Barnes who will have 12-16 goals, with Buckley getting 5-10, and our defence chipping in with 10. I appreciate that this logic is flawed and we cannot base the whole season on the games played so far.

However, our midfield has not contributed a single goal this season, I don't think the players are completely at fault for this, I think Gus needs to let the likes of Crofts and Hammond bomb forward a bit more, or play players further forward to support CMS and Barnes.

Your logic is sound. The midfielders have missed some sitters as well so far this season.

Gus said at the end of the transfer window that he wanted someone to take the pressure off CMS a bit, whether this meant a target man or not I have no idea. Hoskins can do this and Dobbie last night showed he can tuck away chances. I have a feeling that if he does sign someone else in January, they won't be a big lump. We will see.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I would seriously splash the cash on Charlie Austin. The guy is a proven goalscorer and could do it at any level IMO. If they're lower mid table/around the bottom, i think Austin would be quite interested. I really think he would suit our style perfectly too. If we paid £5million then fair enough, its guaranteed goals!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I also hope we can sign a high quality central defenfer who can pick the pass out of defence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Both Hammond and Crofts are proven goalscorers from midfield, they will come good, of that I am certain. Once we have our tails up again we are gonna be winning games in style imo. The bad run of 7 or 8 games was just a blip started by having our early season form players, Bruno and CMS, out injured at the same time. That was a bad bit of luck and with all the deflected goals conceded and our strength in depth, coupled with the luck we will get, we will battle through this to be contenders.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
What we really need is for our midfielders to start chipping in more.
All the pressure lies with CMS to score at the moment, and I think he is doing a pretty good job, his all round play is also much improved.

We still need an alternative option tho, look how short up front we were when CMS was injured, we didnt look like scoring at all with him out of the side. Hence the bad run.

Cameron Jerome is a rumour I thought....

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Cant hurt having another striker but the lack of goals from other areas is the bigger problem I think. If we could convert the odd corner it would be nice...we have enough of them and may as well just give the ball to their keeper and save time.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Last night I lost count of the number of times we got around the back and provided crosses that no-one got on the end of. Plus 19 corners. There is a case for a target man without sacrificing the way we play, or at least the OPTION of a target man should we need to score. This is what happened at times in 10/11 (Chris Wood: 9 goals) and 11/12 (Vokes: 3 goals). Now the player needs to be good enough of course (c/f Billy barn door).

I have great faith in Gus. But what does concern me is that it was bleedin obvious at the Brum game that had we had someone in the middle to nod it in we would have won easily. Now 7 games later the prognosis is identical!

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here