jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
t2_port_of_tallinn.jpg

Looks really nice, it's been on my "list" for ages

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's a lovely city. I didn't stay there long, but my impression was that the small "old town" is really beautiful and well worth visiting, whilst the "new town" around it is mostly pretty grim. Not sure how long you'd want to stay, but it's definetely a nice place to go - maybe combine a trip to Tallinn with a trip to Riga?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
It's a lovely city. I didn't stay there long, but my impression was that the small "old town" is really beautiful and well worth visiting, whilst the "new town" around it is mostly pretty grim. Not sure how long you'd want to stay, but it's definetely a nice place to go - maybe combine a trip to Tallinn with a trip to Riga?

Anything to see or do there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's an absolutely beautiful city with some very friendly, laid-back locals. Mind you, I haven't been there since 1998 and they've had to put up with several thousand English stag weekends since then.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It will be more a cultural long weekend, er, thing, with the girlfriend - not a booze-up. What are beer/meal prices like?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It will be more a cultural long weekend, er, thing, with the girlfriend - not a booze-up. What are beer/meal prices like?

It's pretty cheap though the Old Town is pretty much entirely touristy so that area is not massively. Not sure what the exchange rate is like nowadays either.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yes I've been there and no it wasn't three years ago. Great place... best city in the Baltics

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I went for a day trip from Helsinki and after paying the Finnish beer prices anything would have looked cheap. Lovely place, although we were warned to keep eyes open for the local dodgy crims.

Jan 31, 2009
I've been living in Tallinn for 4 years - it's a great place to live, and there's quite a few decent bars, pubs and restaurants around. Not as cheap as it used to be (beer is about 1.5 - 2.50 a pint. For traditional pubs, try either Molly Malones or Nimeta. To see stunning blonde scenery, head to Kaheksa (Bar 8) followed by Bon Bon club. Enjoy... :)

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton

Went there for the England game last year. Really nice place; even the presence of 2,000 of England's finest didn't spoil things. Wasn't particularly expensive, but that may have changed over the past 12 months - I got the impression it was becoming an increasinglly popular stag weekend venue, which is never a good thing.

If you are thinking of the 'double header' make sure you leave plenty of time for the drive from Riga to Tallinn and back (4-5 hours minimum). We nearly came unstuck because the drive back was a nightmare, I had to make several death-defying overtaking manoeuvres on single carriageway roads in order to make our return flight.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I went in December 2004 and really enjoyed it, although it was bloody freezing (surprisingly). Lovely old town, although the usual interesting combination of historic buildings and the sensitive approach to development followed by the Soviet Union, and some good restaurants, although not as cheap as I imagined it would be. As you are taking the g'friend I won't mention the fact that down almost every side street in the city centres were any number of strip clubs (which as I was with the missus I couldn't really take advantage of).

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The old town part is lovely with Northern Europes Oldest gothic building (I read the guide book) and a really nice old Danish battlement while the main city part is a bit grim. Prices are fairly standard, the people are grumpy (at first) and the birds are pretty tasty. There is also a Depeche Mode themed bar. Tartu is a much more romantic city (if Tallin was London, Tartu would be Brighton) but is a 2 hour journey south.

Tere, kuidas laheb? (Hello, how are you?)

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The old town part is lovely with Northern Europes Oldest gothic building (I read the guide book) and a really nice old Danish battlement while the main city part is a bit grim. Prices are fairly standard, the people are grumpy (at first) and the birds are pretty tasty. There is also a Depeche Mode themed bar. Tartu is a much more romantic city (if Tallin was London, Tartu would be Brighton) but is a 2 hour journey south.

Tere, kuidas laheb? (Hello, how are you?)

A Depeche Mode theme bar. I want to go

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lovely gothic city that spends half the year in the dark/superb miserablist 80's electro navel gazers. Match mad in heaven.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I was in Tartu over Christmas and whle I missed the worst/best of the snow there was still a fair bit when I was there and it was lovely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here