Terry
Johnson
Milner
Lampard
Barry
Gerrard
Defoe
Rooney

So no Joe Cole and two central midfielders on the wings....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Who is reporting this? If it's come from the moose, then it might as well be Andy Naylor.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Who is reporting this? If it's come from the moose, then it might as well be Andy Naylor.

The Moose is a classic example of someone getting above their station in life.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
They seem pretty certain -

James
Cole
Upson
Terry
Johnson
Milner
Lampard
Barry
Gerrard
Defoe
Rooney

So no Joe Cole and two central midfielders on the wings....

Could be 4-2-3-1, couldn't it, which would have Gerrard playing behind Rooney, rather than on the left? Unlikely, given the Don's reliance on 442, but just saying it could be:

James
Cole Upson Terry Johnson
Lampard Barry
Defoe Gerrard Milner
Rooney

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That team is definitely lacking natural width, and maybe a bit of 'magic'.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You can thank John Terry for that. By openly criticising Capello by saying Joe Cole should be starting, he has lessened that chance of that happening to less than zero.

I'm not sure Don Fab would cut off his nose to spite his face, but I do think he is too stubborn to change his formation. Hope I'm wrong. You have your two most skillful players in Rooney and Gerrard, so it seems obvious to me that you play to their strengths.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Milner has played a lot of his football as a "wide man", but that only takes care of one side.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This eleven most looks like the one that qualified... with the exception of Defoe. Think he is right and no self-respecting manager would bring in a player who has been injured for half a season and wasn't a regular before for a game that could destroy a whole generation's careers.

There will be no James, Gerrard, Terry, Carragher, Ferdinand, Lampard, Heskey, Crouch, Cole, Upson in 2014

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can thank John Terry for that. By openly criticising Capello by saying Joe Cole should be starting, he has lessened that chance of that happening to less than zero.

"There’s enough time to look at formations, a system, and whether the manager changes it to go with five in midfield, Wayne up front on his own, I don’t know."

"If we feel things need to be changed, whether he needs to change personnel or change his ways, we’ll say so. Everyone needs to voice their opinion and we hope he then takes it on board. But it’s the manager who has the final decision. I have 100% confidence in the manager".

Struggling to find the open criticism there...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
From yesterdays Telegraph

"On one of the most dramatic days in England’s history, John Terry became a rebel with a cause, campaigning openly for Joe Cole’s inclusion in the starting line-up to face Slovenia on Wednesday"

"Coming from such a senior player as Terry, this is an undoubted challenge to Fabio Capello’s management, particularly Terry’s pithy conclusion of “if it upsets him, so what?’’

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
didn't they something similar before the Algeria game as well because Capello said he had a decision between Heskey and Defoe

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From yesterdays Telegraph

"On one of the most dramatic days in England’s history, John Terry became a rebel with a cause, campaigning openly for Joe Cole’s inclusion in the starting line-up to face Slovenia on Wednesday"

"Coming from such a senior player as Terry, this is an undoubted challenge to Fabio Capello’s management, particularly Terry’s pithy conclusion of “if it upsets him, so what?’’

We can read as little or as much into the printed press on this as we like I suppose. But the reality, sat there watching it, was that Terry was backing the manager completely, but answering questions honestly about whether players could speak to him about the team. Some of the remarks were then isolated and presented in a context to give the impression him and the senior players were about to lead some kind of "revolt" at that nights meeting - which was complete and utter CODSWALLOP.

"On one of the most dramatic days in England's history" - come on, do me a favour. You don't really believe that, do you ?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Could be 4-2-3-1, couldn't it, which would have Gerrard playing behind Rooney, rather than on the left? Unlikely, given the Don's reliance on 442, but just saying it could be:

James
Cole Upson Terry Johnson
Lampard Barry
Defoe Gerrard Milner
Rooney

Could be more;

James
Johnson Upson Terry Cole
Milner Barry
Gerrard Lamps
Rooney

At least thats kind how I would do it. " Holding mids wing backs bombin on. But I doubt talksport know anything!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here