Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talking to foreigners...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When I'm talking to foreign people in english, I keep catching myself putting on a RUBBISH foreign accent, in a pathetic attempt to help them understand me better.
We have had a couple of young french students stay with us this week, and their english was crap (better than my french, mind). Every time I spoke to them, I sounded like a cross between Claudio Ranieri and Seve Ballasteros, and I COULDN'T STOP DOING IT.

Is it just me, or does anyone else unwittingly talk in silly accents to foreigners ?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yep - guilty as sin on that front.

However much I try to be helpful I sound stupid.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i can't do foreign languages (speaking )

i struggle with english let alone ....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
As a young child I had the habit of mimiking the accent of non English people visiting our family home, used to happen quite often as half the family is Irish, apparently it drove the olds up the wall and the visitors thought I was taking the pee, but hey I was a kid and had no idea what I was doing, fortunately for zee German neeboors I hazz grown out of eet.

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else unwittingly talk in silly accents to foreigners ?

Not at all easy, I work on the new home office site in London, The site has 4,000 workers on it and 98% are french. They expect us to speck french but I haven't a clue apart from one word........Falaermrbush.

They understand that ok.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm glad its not just me then.
Several times I've walked away slapping my forehead this week after saying something like "You are enjoy ze deena tonight, ya ?"

*cringe*

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Re: Re: Talking to foreigners...

Terrace Dandy said:
Not at all easy, I work on the new home office site in London, The site has 4,000 workers on it and 98% are french. They expect us to speck french but I haven't a clue apart from one word........Falaermrbush.

They understand that ok.
what does it mean though?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watch out as Terrace Dandy will be after you

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
You're not a schizophrenic these days with 2 ID's are you :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Nope but clearly you don't read other threads

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Terrace Dandy hates us :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here