Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talk to me about SatNavs

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Right-ho people - merry Monday morning to y'all. Have just bought myself a new motor and would like a SatNav - never had one before, so some advice would be handy.

What to go for, I know there are lots out there - I tend to like the larger named brands, so I guess we're talking things like TomTom or Garmin.

Do these things need installing into the car by an engineer (I know nothing) - how are they powered, can they run off batteries ? So many questions.

Any help appreciated.

/td

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mine runs off the cigarette lighter (the battery is hopeless). You won't need an engineer installation, just stick it on the windscreen and Roberts your mums brother.

Can't even remember what its called, but I got it mainly because the screen is bigger, its kind of a widescreen. Does the job. Although it was RUBBISH the other day when I was taking some back-routes to get home as the A23 was stuffed. Switched it on at Cowfold, and it was "getting GPS position" all the way down to Shoreham, and finally kicked in about 2 miles from home. Luckily I pretty much knew where I was going anyway, but it was no thanks to my 'trusty' satnav.

Bah.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Mine runs off the cigarette lighter (the battery is hopeless). You won't need an engineer installation, just stick it on the windscreen and Roberts your mums brother.

Can't even remember what its called, but I got it mainly because the screen is bigger, its kind of a widescreen. Does the job. Although it was RUBBISH the other day when I was taking some back-routes to get home as the A23 was stuffed. Switched it on at Cowfold, and it was "getting GPS position" all the way down to Shoreham, and finally kicked in about 2 miles from home. Luckily I pretty much knew where I was going anyway, but it was no thanks to my 'trusty' satnav.

Bah.

I defintely want one that can find it's way to Shoreham, I'll never get home otherwise - does it state that on the box ? :)

Ciggie lighter things sounds like the job, and I like the idea of a widescreen.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My Tomtom's 4 years old now but it does the job.

It does help if you have an idea of where you want to go as it tries to take you on some really crap routes sometimes, it'll pick roads that I know are really busy. I think the newer models are a bit more clever about where they send you. The best thing you can do is have a go on a couple in the shop and see what you like the look of

markw

Aug 28, 2009
tom tom one is the one to go for :thumbsup: myself and a few friends use them for years with no problems.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I defintely want one that can find it's way to Shoreham, I'll never get home otherwise - does it state that on the box ? :)

Ciggie lighter things sounds like the job, and I like the idea of a widescreen.

route66-maxi-gps.jpg

This is the one, a Route 66. As I say, I mainly got it cos of the widescreen, and it was a bit cheaper than the TomTom. I'm sure there are some better all-singing all-dancing ones with live traffic updates, speedcamera warnings and lah-de-dah, but this one does me just fine (once it picks up the GPS position, which usually happens within a minute or two). Seems very accurate with speed and mile distances to destinations, it always tallys with the roadsigns saying x number of miles to wherever. The woman has a sultry voice as well, although I usually switch her off as I don't like being told what to do.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Totally agree about TomTom, I've got the XL with a 4.3" widescreen, it's brilliant. Plus if you go on to their website you can download silly voices for it, I've got Homer Simpson guiding me at the moment, Doh!

:thumbsup:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I can highly recommend the Garmin Nuvi 350.
I've had it for a couple of months now, and it got me from Bognor to Manchester and back, rerouting around a couple of serious jams - no problem.
It acts as a bluetooth hands free device for your mobile too, and it plays MP3s.

Its about £250 normally, but I picked mine up off the Interweb thingy for £90 inc. delivery - bargain!!!

When I get home, I'll post a link to where I bought it from - as I can't remember right now.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Mine runs off the cigarette lighter (the battery is hopeless).
Bah.

Disagree,
Mine is the orginal tomtom 300 that was one of the first to come out back when god was a boy, (paid over £300 for it back then :blush:) and the battery still last 5 hours plus without a charge.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Disagree,
Mine is the orginal tomtom 300 that was one of the first to come out back when god was a boy, (paid over £300 for it back then :blush:) and the battery still last 5 hours plus without a charge.

I've given up on mine, and just plug it straight in now. Maybe its because I hardly ever use it. Months go by without me using the satnav, its not often I travel to places I don't know.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bought a Tom Tom 3 years ago. Very good at getting me to where I want to go.

The only drawback is sometimes it has a mind of it's own "sticking" to the screen. Sometimes it drops off just I get to the importand part of my journey.

I ususally only switch the thing on as I come to the end of my journey. If I'm going to somewhere in, say, Manchester, I know how to get on to the M40/M6 so I will switch the Sat Nav on at a service Station near Stoke.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Mine is on my iPhone it's tom tom and covers all western Europe best part it was free!!!

Pm me if you want to know how, (iPhone must be jailbroken)

so stick that in your pipe iPhone haters....

I have an HTC desire, and I had guessed I could probably get something for that, but I fancy a seperate dedeicated SatMav I think.

So. thanks for the input, still looks like my assumption of TomTom or Garmin is roughly correct, I shall have a browse shortly and make my mind up.

Cheers peeps.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Bah.

sounds like you need an external antenna :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have an HTC desire, and I had guessed I could probably get something for that, but I fancy a seperate dedeicated SatMav I think.

So. thanks for the input, still looks like my assumption of TomTom or Garmin is roughly correct, I shall have a browse shortly and make my mind up.

Cheers peeps.

If you have a healthy data quota on your contract, you should already have google maps with turn by turn navigation on your phone and you probably only need a car charger for your phone.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Mine is on my iPhone it's tom tom and covers all western Europe best part it was free!!!

Pm me if you want to know how, (iPhone must be jailbroken)

so stick that in your pipe iPhone haters....

Nokia's come with free Navteq (Garmin) without any jailbreaking. :thumbsup:

TomTom or Garmin, don't bother with any of the no-branders. Garmin have more accurate maps for places outside the UK if you go abroad a lot; otherwise its pretty irrelevant.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Cheers peeps.

The google navigation is very, very good, I use it all the time now and haven't got the TomTom out since ...

just make sure you have an 'unlimited' data plan on your phone ..

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a NavMan about 6 years ago and loved - but can't now get map updates. I've now got a Tom Tom and its okay but what I don't like is that is gives you the next two manoevures togehter which can be a it confusing in busy traffic and lots going on. NavMan was allways just one move ahead and this was fine.

"Perform a U-turm when possible! !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here