Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking your kids to The Amex?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
As much as I love going to footie with the "boys", having a few beers in the pub and a few more on the way home, I reckon it's time to the right thing and take my boy to a game.... He is 4 next week and is starting to get really interested in all things BHA (Bloody JCL).... By the time the next season starts I think he'll be ready... The problem is that he's got ants in his pants, and I can't see him lasting a whole match!

So what do you do to keep your kids interested for a whole 90 mins?

How old in your opinions is old enough?

I won't take him if it puts him off and he then won't go again!

I was 8 when I first went to The Goldstone and loved every minute, wishing I'd been taken much earlier!

:thumbsup:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My opinion is 4 is to young, he will not concentrate and I dont think will be interested...my girls were about 7 or 8 when I took them to the Goldstone..

if they lost concentration they fell of the milk crate!!!

But all kids are different, i would wait a bit

Taken my 6 year old son 5 times to the Amex and he loves it, my 3 year old daughter 3 times and she loves it as well. My daughter's first game was problematic, but since has been good as gold. My tips are...get there early so that you have the chance of meeting Gully before the game. Take plenty of snacks and drinks (a trip to the superstore for sweets never hurts). They love the songs and the atmosphere, had to once explain to my son that WSU were shouting "wake-up" at the referee, but basically it has been great.

One word of warning DON'T TAKE THEM TO AN AWAY GAME!!! Not at least until they are much much older!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
My boy started a couple of times at 4 last season and used to last about 60 mins. Then he'd play his ds for the rest. Only took 4 games at the amex for him to be totally hooked and now he wont take his eyes off the game until the final whistle.

I've quite proudly posted on here a number of times how 'Jack2' (he's now 3 BTW) went to his first match when he was 7 weeks old (stockport last game of the season) he's got a season ticket now, It's testing at times,we've had tears and we've left early inc once at half time, but i love taking him and in the main he enjoys the crowd etc, I take plenty for him to eat and some toy cars and when he gets really bored he can have half hour of his portable DVD player (he's only allowed that because at present he's not given the choice whether to go or not) He also has ants in his pants but the group around me in the FS are good as gold (most are renewing this year despite knowing we are too!) I'm now upping the ante and spending more time with him on my lap explaining more of the game and in turn he seems to be watching more, I can't wait to take him next season. In the meantime he'll be spotted at the cricket although he does spend 20 overs looking longingly at the ice cream van. Go for it, Good Luck

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Not wishing my son to grow up too quickly but he isn't 18 months yet and I can't wait to take him to the amex. Was considering his first trip for his second birthday but to be honest I have the same concerns because he is full on and a bag of energy. He won't even sit through the highlights let alone a full 90 minutes.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I wonder how popular it would be if there was a crèche at the Amex....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Good thread !

It's a difficult one as every child is different, but I would suggest take him to the Amex on a non match day first, go into the store maybe into Dicks bar for a snack and if possible a tour of the ground. My boy is 7 and is only now starting to get interested. My biggest fear was taking him when he was too young and him hating it and never wanting to go again. Luckily this hasn't happened and will take him to more games next season.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My little cousin's first away game was Peterborough away, that's one hell of an atmosphere for a first-timer! She knew all the bad words anyway, being aged 11 and attending a religious school ???

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph

There is,it's called the 1901.

Take my 5 y.o.season ticket holding grandson every home saturday and his 3 y.o. brother when I can get a ticket for him, the 5 y.o. has also done games the last 2 seasons at Withdean.

They both love the whole thing and dont need toys(but they do eat a bit),both joining in the singing.Falmer is a wonderful place for a nosy kid,so much action from the pitch and the crowd that they dont get bored.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Good thread !

It's a difficult one as every child is different, but I would suggest take him to the Amex on a non match day first, go into the store maybe into Dicks bar for a snack and if possible a tour of the ground. My boy is 7 and is only now starting to get interested. My biggest fear was taking him when he was too young and him hating it and never wanting to go again. Luckily this hasn't happened and will take him to more games next season.

Thanks Wookie.... I have highlighted your suggestion and you can sod off.... That cost me a fortune last time :p...

Seriously though, I know someone who works at the ground that may be able to get us a tour arranged... I want to get a ST for next season but I'm concerned about buying him one and then him hating going and then I'm stuck in the family stand alone, so to speak....

I will call the club tomorrow for advice :thumbsup:

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011

funny you should ask that as I emailed the club about this a while back but didnt get a reply. I know when original plans were drawn up there was talk of a nursery/creche. I wanted to know as part of business research. Wasnt going to leave the kids there as my eldest loves the matches.

I took my eldest to first match at age 4. She was fine. My youngest who is now 4 is not interested at all and a real pain, moaning all match so she stays with nanny now. I think as previous have said. Try it out. Take lots of snacks and drinks and a bit of patience for the first match. Let them meet gully etc, point out everything to them and see how it goes. Good luck

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr son is 7, daughter 5, both season ticket holders & JCL's.

Initially they both really enjoyed all things Albion, but not the football!
The atmosphere, singing, food, never ever underestimate the power of Gully, all great.

Jnr son also is playing football (AITC) at school, and has grown into a football animal, throughout the season.
To the point he's actually blown off a birthday party for The Albion, without any pressure from me.

Jnr daughter, doesn't really come any more, as she has so little invested in it.
But could just about get through a game with a comic, sweets and DS.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
i've taken my 5yo son to all 3pm kick-offs and one late kick off this season. We started with a bag of food and ds/magazines to keep him entertained but now a chicken pie, bottle of pop and the football is all that is required.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
SpongeBobSquarePants.jpg

Now if Gus signs him in preseason it'll be sorted for my boy to watch for 90 mins :thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My boy has just turned 8 and is a season ticket holder he loves it and is no problem at all he enjoys the whole experience but I have also taken my 4 year old daughter and although she is OK it is harder work with her. As others have said distractions are the key -sweets, drink and an iPad work brilliantly although I do not allow the iPad whilst the game is on, also recommend a game when it's not too cold as that could count against as well .

Try it the only real way to find out.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Friend of mine takes his 4-year-old every week and the little lad is as good as gold. He has a little Albion shirt, has high-fived Gully and has a little raised seat to sit on. If it's cold, his Daddy puts his little jacket on, then his little Albion hat, then his little Albion scarf. He doesn't play with any toys but watches the match. Occasionally, you can see him looking around, a little bored, then Daddy will explain what's happening. His latest party-trick is the "Who-are-ya?" hand signal, which he points at the away fans! They always leave about 5 minutes before half-time or before the end, presumably so the little boy can go to the loo in peace, get his drink and sweeties in peace and be first in the queue for the train.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
I bring in a booster seat so my 6yo can see slightly better.
He's even come up with his own chant, it goes like this....
"Crystal Palace, they are really stupid,
and they stink of poo."
Could catch on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here