Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Taking your dog into shops and restaurants

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Met up for a shoot on Tuesday at the Rhug Estate Farm Shop Café in North Wales. Quite a posh café area (as well as a stupidly expensive shop) but had several 'dog friendly' tables advertised as you walked in. Set a little away from the rest of the seating, but each had couple of hooks for leads and a bowl of water under each. We were the only people there as it was v early morning, but the waitress said they were usually the first tables that went, with people out walking on the estate or just visiting the shop. We had about 9-10 working gundogs in our little group, but thought it best to leave them in the trucks, despite them all being very well behaved.

Don't have an issue with well behaved dogs in pubs and perhaps cafes. Don't really see the need in restaurants though. No idea why anyone would want to take a dog shopping either?

Have had my fill of bad behaved kids in pubs, cafes and restaurants screaming the place down, wiping there snotty noses on everything and coughing their guts up. Give me a quiet pub, fireplace, decent pint and my three GSPs at my feet post walk/shoot anyday rather than sharing anywhere with anybody elses spawn!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I saw this programme this other day where these 4 people took their dog into a restaurant (the long haired bloke was so thick I'm not sure how he gets by day to day) and the dog ate a sandwich with so much meat, cheese, and other various fillings that it was literally so big that it looks like it would fall over, in one gulp.

TV shouldn't encourage this type of behaviour especially when the guy serving it got nicked at the end as opposed to the people with the dog.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Dogs are a problem for me, I'm allergic to them. I get extremely nervous when a dog is let loose in a pub, bus or wherever and wanders around trying to be friendly. I'm OK if they stay their distance but if in same room for too long I start to suffer.

Perhaps dog owners could consider this. I am not the only person that has this allergy.

Jan 30, 2008
Dogs are a problem for me, I'm allergic to them. I get extremely nervous when a dog is let loose in a pub, bus or wherever and wanders around trying to be friendly. I'm OK if they stay their distance but if in same room for too long I start to suffer.

Perhaps dog owners could consider this. I am not the only person that has this allergy.

Why do some dog owners allow their dogs to jump up at you and then say they're just being friendly but in the meantime they've put muddy paw mark's on your clothing
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some people take their dogs EVERYWHERE with them because they can't be arsed to cut their day short to go back home to feed and shit them.

Which is one of the primary reasons why I do not own a mutt.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Some people take their dogs EVERYWHERE with them because they can't be arsed to cut their day short to go back home to feed and shit them.

Or because they cost a lot of money and they want to show them off? Otherwise it's like buying an Aston Martin and keeping it in the garage.

Or because they're like 'one of the family' and they can't bear to leave them at home?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or because they cost a lot of money and they want to show them off? Otherwise it's like buying an Aston Martin and keeping it in the garage.

Or because they're like 'one of the family' and they can't bear to leave them at home?

I barely notice dogs, so the showing off aspect is not something I can particularly relate to. And I can think of few things more inconvenient than carting a dog around all day with me when I'm out and about in town. Its like having a young child, you have to make constant provisions for them 24/7. My sister is a case in point, her life revolves around her two shih-tsu's. They either come with, or she has to head back home to sort them out. Sod that.

Lifes too short. Each to their own though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I haven't got a dog but look after a friends dog occasionally, there is no way would I take the dog to a busy shopping area or a restaurant.
The dog wouldn't thank me for it anyway and is happy having a nice run around in the countryside.

I have been in a local pub with the dog after a long walk, but it's a pub that doesn't do meals.
I sometimes go to a country pub for lunch after a walk with the dog, but only a pub where dogs are welcome, and weather permitting I sit in the garden.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Like many here, I'm not a dog fan and also allergic. I also think I'm becoming less tolerant of these filthy disgusting animals as I age.

Last weekend at junior rugby, 2 spectators had dogs on leads and I kid you not, 1 dog was repeatedly licking the dick of the other dog. The owners were chatting to each other and oblivious to what was going on under their noses. I can only hope they gave their pet a kiss for being so well behaved while they were chatting...

Another thing about dogs, they will eat and eat until they are sick and then eat the sick.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just as well you don't frequent the Hare & Hounds in my village then, they don't allow dogs into the main restaurant. Although you can eat from one of the tables in the bar area, to which dogs are permitted.

The Hare & Hounds is actually a very popular dog friendly pub, simply that they give the choice as to whether customers want to eat wth them around or not.

Seems the perfect solution to me.

Eh? We were in the bar area!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
IMHO they should never be allowed in shops/restaurants /pubs serving food to eat in but I have no objection to them being in non food shops like opticians, hardware shoes etc,

Two years ago we were invited to Sunday lunch at a Hix restaurant in central London. Bumpkins like me like me have to look up Hix to find out how good it can be - people who know about food know anyway. It was one of those meals where you walk in wondering how lunch could be worth £60 and leave wondering how they do it for the money. There were five of us - four adults and one cockapoo. They had no problem with that fifth member of the group. She sat under the linen-covered table and was even given a small meal of her own as the Michelin atmosphere swirled about her.

I was reminded of one of our few other forays into a world of luxury. An overnight at the Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons. There was a man wearing jeans in the main restaurant. Smart jeans, but jeans nevertheless. A couple of weeks later we were staying at the George at Stamford and had to go out for a Saturday night Indian - I wasn't allowed in the hotel restaurant because I didn't have a tie.

I suppose the lesson is that classy places are often more relaxed about things than those lesser joints that have to scurry along to impress people

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
:needpics:

Thread needs pictures of dogs :smile:

tenor.gif
920x920.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here